Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:02 AM

15 posts, read 18,395 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife thinking to move to one of these places soon. My questions here are:
- can we find some apartment,studio for under 1000$ with all utilities included.
-are these areas safe

One more question when it says- studio is this mean that is only for one person?
What about the condo or 1 bedroom aparments-are they the same.

In some cities i saw that the price is between 900-1150, is anyone know why, is it because the aprtment can be furnished or not.

Last question: is the rent contract always for 1 year or depends on the building. And if it is for 3 months- is this mean that these three months we will pay more every month that if we make a contract for 1 year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Both areas are extremely safe.

If you want a neighborhood, I would go with Lincoln Park. If you want to have more of a downtown feel, I would go with Gold Coast.

I would go with Lincoln Park, because I prefer more of a sense of community, and less transience. But both areas are among the best Chicago has to offer.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Good luck finding an apartment in either of those neighborhoods for less than $1000. You might be able to find a shoe box if you're lucky.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 18,395 times
Why is difficult to find under this price, all websites are full with ads for under that price. I dont get it. The price on the websites are not real or ?

Old 02-15-2015, 11:18 AM

62 posts, read 79,425 times
$1000 is LP or Gold Coast will be very hard. If you do happen to find something, it will be very tiny and prob uncomfortable for two people. I would expand your search or your budget

Old 02-15-2015, 12:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
If you read most of the ads, the price range depends on what size apartment you get. So the cheapest is going to be an efficiency/studio, probably 300 square feet (which is about 17 feet by 17 feet). If you get something larger, like two bedrooms a bathroom and 600-ish square feet total, you're easily looking at $2,000 or more per month.
realtor.com

Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Maybe Lincoln Park but not many options. I know of exactly one building in Gold Coast that's under $1000 for a studio (actually maybe two) but they aren't very good (I have a friend living in one on the corner of LaSalle and Maple). You should be looking at other areas - Lakeview, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, and Roscoe Village on the north side if you want that.

Depends on what you want.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-15-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
As others have said, the cost is what will be problematic. Also, if you are lucky enough to find a study for that price, it will likely be extremely small. Not very comfortable for 2 people.

Overall, Lincoln Park has a more neighborhood feel than the Gold Coast. However, it depends on how the Gold Coast is being defined. The traditional Gold Coast (North of Oak St.) does have more of a traditional neighborhood feel, especially east near the Lake. There are a lot of small, quiet side streets, and very few tourists/entertainment spots. Nowadays, parts of the city that were considered River North/Streeterville are considered the 'Gold Coast', so the closer you get to Chicago Ave (and definitely anything south of it) are definitely more entertainment/commercial, and definitely have less of a neighborhood feel. Something to consider if you're looking for more of a traditional neighborhood.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Overall, Lincoln Park has a more neighborhood feel than the Gold Coast. However, it depends on how the Gold Coast is being defined. The traditional Gold Coast (North of Oak St.) does have more of a traditional neighborhood feel, especially east near the Lake. There are a lot of small, quiet side streets, and very few tourists/entertainment spots. Nowadays, parts of the city that were considered River North/Streeterville are considered the 'Gold Coast', so the closer you get to Chicago Ave (and definitely anything south of it) are definitely more entertainment/commercial, and definitely have less of a neighborhood feel. Something to consider if you're looking for more of a traditional neighborhood.
For the most part this is true, but that's not true of everywhere near Chicago Avenue. There are high rises there, but if you go to Dearborn and Chicago and walk a little north you'll see a bunch of rowhomes and smaller scale buildings. Even though there are some taller buildings, it has a more neighborhood-ish feel with areas like Washington Square Park and Connors Park. I live in the area and that little sliver start just west of State Street is not commercial or touristy in the least bit. Not even close. Go to State & Chestnut and then walk west on Chestnut street and you'll know what I'm talking about. These streets are very quiet.

Regardless, the OP won't be able to afford that area anyway.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM

498 posts, read 724,090 times
$1,000 studios in Lincoln Park are fairly easy to come by. And they don't have to be for one person, they will rent to a husband and wife. Under $1k in the Gold Coast will be a little more difficult, but it can be done. It's best to rent directly from the property managers/owners as opposed to working with any type of third party. You can find a comprehensive list of LP properties here:
http://yochicago.com/apartment-lists/lincoln-park/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago