Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,211,711 times

Advertisements

I need a job for strictly weekends only, because my primary job is only part time, but i have really wacky hours. Any suggestions on good places to go? Rather, what might be good places to check out that won't discriminate on the fact that I really am only available these two days (the hours aren't really an issue, although i'm not sure how much I want to be getting off work at 3 am or anything)? Would retail be a good idea? (I actually have experience in that.) Also, are temp agencies even an option?? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not sure.

I will not work as a waitress. Not that i have anything against waitressing - I am just too clumsy to be responsible for carrying food around (thus I admire those that actually can do it ). I am not kidding (this is the girl that wiped out with a granny cart on broadway and a homeless man helped her pick up her groceries).

I put this all off until after the holidays, then I got sick, but now it's time to pound the pavement, so to speak.

ETA: everyone should know based on my transit rants that this job needs to be in the city proper, accessible to whatever bus routs may be left in 10 days. or L, of course.

Last edited by scarletneon; 01-10-2008 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: i'm poor and don't have a car!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 10:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,530,937 times
Retail sounds like it would be your best bet as they are more understanding of the weekends only. The problem is that most of them are firing their holiday help not hiring new faces right now.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Retail sounds like it would be your best bet as they are more understanding of the weekends only. The problem is that most of them are firing their holiday help not hiring new faces right now.
True. Thankfully, I still have some cash saved up, and of course, i do have some money coming in from my main job, so it's not an emergency right now - i just want more money *greedy* (hahaha! )

Old 04-27-2008, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 157,338 times
Default weekend job

I would try hospitals. Anything that's open 24 hours. They often have weekend jobs.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,501,835 times
Supernerdgirl found something a few months ago. This thread should be closed.:-)

Old 01-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Supernerdgirl found something a few months ago. This thread should be closed.:-)
No, it should not.

I am bumping my own thread, because I need something else.
I realize the economy blows the big one right now, but that's no excuse for me getting knocked down to 4 hours a week while people that have only been working there for three weeks are getting full shifts on the weekend.
(Feb. 4 I will be there for a year, and when I first started working there I routinely got 12 hours a week, I think my new boss is discriminating because I can't be there at the drop of a hat...)

So, my piddly list of requirements include:
- no gas stations
- no Greenpeace or any other related canvassing crap
- i still maintain i would be a TERRIBLE waitress
- CTA accessible, but not in a neighborhood where I won't feel safe. i can't even afford suburban transit right now.
- weekends only but I will work full shifts... i really don't want to work in the middle of the night though.
- i'm not against cleaning or factories
- i'm not against stocking shelves
- i'm not against barista-ing, but i don't really want to do fast food again

I can, in descending chronological order: put together an entire magazine by myself (this includes writing, design and photography), run a cash register, make fancy drinks, sell chocolate, make chocolate, & price clothes in a thrift store.

So, any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,095,738 times
Contract stuff related to PR / publishing type stuff?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Contract stuff related to PR / publishing type stuff?
See, I'm not really sure how to get started in that though. Do you know anything about it?

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM

838 posts, read 3,090,093 times
how about working as a messenger?

Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
how about working as a messenger?
doesn't that require a bike or car? neither of which I have...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago