Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 PM

19 posts, read 20,029 times

Advertisements

So I'm planning a trip to Chicago, and certain circumstances are going to land me there about 12 hours before my party. I'm not going to have a hotel until my party joins me, and I'll be landing in ORD at around 8:30 am. That means I'll have all of my luggage on me (going to limit it to a medium-sized gym bag), so I'm betting I won't be able to get into some attractions without parting ways with that.

When I land, I plan on figuring out how the Blue Line works, and I'll ride that into the city. With more than a few hours to kill, how would you suggest I make the most of my time? To put my interests in perspective, I'm a 22y/o male college student that's never been to Chicago. I like technology, sports, music, and games. I hear the shopping is good too, but I probably won't go gung ho on buying things. I'm not sure exactly where I'll get off the Blue Line yet (depends roughly on where the hotel will be, but I won't know until the day of the trip.) My guess is somewhere near the United Center, so activities near there will have the highest preference in my plans. I'd also like to keep the expenses on the down low, so free / cheap suggestions are also preferred.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:05 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,033 times
Well, this does not answer the "what to do" part but I think that most hotels do have a place where you can store your bag before check-in or after check-out, as a convenience service. So you may be able to go straight to the hotel and deposit the bag, even if you can't check in yet, and then take things from there.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Need some clarifications...

There are no real hotels particularly close to United Center. There are one or two hotels in Greek Town, which is the west edge of the Loop and another hotel across from Rush Medical Center which is part of the large collection of hospitals and iniversity facilities south of the 290 expressway. Either of those areas is about 10-15 minute ride on transit from the Loop / associated tourist type activities.

The huge former Marshall Field Store on State St. is still an impressive retail emporium now run my Macy's. Easy to spend several hours there if you care about clothing, home design, kitchen wares, jewelry, retail merchandise displays, etc. Literally two blocks away the Art Institute is one of the finest museums of its kind with huge collections of Impressionist masterpieces as well as important works from antiquity and a growing modern collection. Nice spot to eat too. Right across Michigan Ave is the Spertus Institute. Between the two another block of hours could easily be spent there. The traditional museum campus of the Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium and Adler Planetirum could each consume half a day for somebody that has any interest in their collections.

The alternative "hipster" way to kill a dozen hours would be heading into Wicker Park and doing a little "gastro pub crawl" noshing your way through smoked hog jowls, pork belly braised with ramps, and more artisanal craft cocktails than any human should be subjected to.

There are also less known ways to kill a day in Chicago, like heading down to the Mexican Fine Arts Museum & Cultural Center, or seeing what is on the schedule for Old Town School of Folks Music, or heading to Hyde Park and poking around the rather incredible museums there, often with no crowds at all...

{kind of pain to cut & paste on phone, will update with web sites as I can}

Admission & Hours | The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago

The Mission of the Mexican Fine Arts Museum is to Showcase and share the Mexican culture

Spertus Museum Of Judaica in Chicago - Guide to Chicago's Spertus Museum Of Judaica

Concerts | Old Town School of Folk Music

Last edited by chet everett; 02-26-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
Well, this does not answer the "what to do" part but I think that most hotels do have a place where you can store your bag before check-in or after check-out, as a convenience service. So you may be able to go straight to the hotel and deposit the bag, even if you can't check in yet, and then take things from there.
Yep - absolutely. The OP could also ask his friend to put his name on the reservation. That way he could check in before them and not even have to worry about anything. In the least though, you can just explain to them that he's waiting on friends to check in and need bags stored.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The alternative "hipster" way to kill a dozen hours would be heading into Wicker Park and doing a little "gastro pub crawl" noshing your way through smoked hog jowls, pork belly braised with ramps, and more artisanal craft cocktails than any human should be subjected to.
I wouldn't call WP the area for that in entirety. There's some though. It also exists more downtown, Logan Square, etc.

Quote:
There are also less known ways to kill a day in Chicago, like heading down to the Mexican Fine Arts Museum & Cultural Center, or seeing what is on the schedule for Old Town School of Folks Music, or heading to Hyde Park and poking around the rather incredible museums there, often with no crowds at all...
Most of all, some of these are free. The National Museum of Mexican Art is pretty good. SMART Art of Museum and
Oriental Instute in Hyde Park are free. Art Institute of Chicago is not free, but one of the best art museums in the country.

Music would depend on what they're interested in and what time they'll be there. During the evening it's easy to find stuff. During the day is different - though there's some free music a few times a week (usually classical or classical-ish) at the Chicago Cultural Center. If it's on a weekend, then it would be easier to find music during the day maybe.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
I have done this a couple times. I usually go to the Art Institute first. They have a bag check. You can also get a combo pass for the museum and skydeck at the willis center. It doesn't open until 10:30 though. I haven't gotten in as early as you but I have been there too early. I just go to intelligentsia coffee on Randolph and chill until the art institute opens.

I've checked out Grant Park, Millennium Park, then walked up the magnificent mile to the beach, taken the river taxi, take a bus from the beach over to Wicker Park for lunch, take the blue line back down to the loop, etc.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
I have done this a couple times. I usually go to the Art Institute first. They have a bag check. You can also get a combo pass for the museum and skydeck at the willis center. It doesn't open until 10:30 though. I haven't gotten in as early as you but I have been there too early. I just go to intelligentsia coffee on Randolph and chill until the art institute opens.

I've checked out Grant Park, Millennium Park, then walked up the magnificent mile to the beach, taken the river taxi, take a bus from the beach over to Wicker Park for lunch, take the blue line back down to the loop, etc.
I agree walking Michigan Ava (Magnificent Mile) by the Wrigley Building and Tribune Tower with Trump Tower towering too, up to the old Water Tower that survived the Chicago Fire. I like the view from the Skydeck of the John Hancock Building, even better then the Willis (Sears) Tower. near the Water Tower. The Oak St Beach is then at the beginning or end of Michigan Ave couple blocks ahead. But I do no thing it will be unfrozen anytime soon LOL.
If in spring to fall I would recommend a boat tour into Lake Michigan From the Chicago River or Navy Pier.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Generally if i have a day to burn in an unfamiliar city, i just like to walk around, check the town out.

I'd recommend the same. Eastern half of the loop, grant/millenium park, river north, gold coast, all worth wandering around in for a couple hours (assuming weather won't be awful and you're dressed appropriately).

Old 02-26-2015, 12:49 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
I agree that the Art Institute and the area around it is a good way to spent the day. Pretty much all museums have a coat check and will take your bag if you can't get to the hotel. You could easily fill your time just at the AIC, but the area is great to walk around and look at architecture, Millennium Park, The Cultural Center, and plenty more.

You could also grab some brunch on the way from O'Hare to downtown. There are loads of great places close to many L stops. There's Longman & Eagle by the Logan Square stop if you want a Michelin star brunch (probably run you $15-25 including tip), Cozy Corner at the California stop (basic cheap diner, but solid food), Arturo's at the Western stop (cheap Mexican or diner breakfast), and loads of places around the Damen stop (Dove's Luncheonette, Stan's Donuts, Glazed and Infused, and Bongo Room).

Old 02-26-2015, 01:23 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Eat your way down the Blue Line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
I agree that the Art Institute and the area around it is a good way to spent the day. Pretty much all museums have a coat check and will take your bag if you can't get to the hotel. You could easily fill your time just at the AIC, but the area is great to walk around and look at architecture, Millennium Park, The Cultural Center, and plenty more.

You could also grab some brunch on the way from O'Hare to downtown. There are loads of great places close to many L stops. There's Longman & Eagle by the Logan Square stop if you want a Michelin star brunch (probably run you $15-25 including tip), Cozy Corner at the California stop (basic cheap diner, but solid food), Arturo's at the Western stop (cheap Mexican or diner breakfast), and loads of places around the Damen stop (Dove's Luncheonette, Stan's Donuts, Glazed and Infused, and Bongo Room).
All good suggestions! The OP should probably FAST for a few days before getting here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago