Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Chicago this summer. I would come earlier in the spring but I dont know because of the weather. I thought about coming for the 4th of July or the following week for the Taste of Chicago but I like to experience cities when a huge event isn't going on. To me any city can shine when a huge event is going on but true cities have lots of stuff to do regardless. The real reason is because the hotel's are cheaper lol. I been before but this time I will explore it more in detail. I have been to the top of the Sears Tower, Millennium Park, the old Caprina Green site, etc.

I plan on visiting the museums, the lake/ beach, ride on that boat that goes through downtown on the river, check out Michigan Ave, I'm going to this hoagie spot on 111st that looked good from some pics I have seen "Home of the Hoagy", rent a bike and ride up and down the trail along the beach, etc. I plan on staying downtown and I will not have a car. I will take the train everywhere.

What I need is nightlife info. What are the names of at least one place that plays hip hop or old school hip hop with a dress code from Thursday-Monday? Weather wise is it better to come in the summer or can I come in the spring?

Generally speaking is there anything else that I need to add to my trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:04 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
There's going to be a lot of stuff happening July 4th weekend and hotels are skyrocketing in price then. That weekend, besides July 4th, also happens to be a 3 day concert event for the 50th anniversary of the Grateful Dead which is probably going to draw 100,000 people alone for it each day, and a semi large 3 day EDM festival on a beach up north. Needless to say, if hotels aren't already sold out, they are probably through the roof in price.

Come in the summer at least since the weather is less volatile. Maybe the weekend before July 4?

As far as hip hop places go, there is a club in the South Loop called The Shrine which is close to Chinatown and a new Green Line stop. If you go there and stay later, you'll probably need to walk a few blocks west and take the Red Line which runs 24/7.
The Shrine - Near Southside - Chicago, IL | Yelp

In Wicker Park, there's a place that's more venue that does hip hop stuff sometimes. I recommend you check out the Wicker Park neighborhood too:
Subterranean - West Town - Chicago, IL | Yelp

Many other clubs play hip hop, but they may not do it every night. You'd have to check the schedules for places like Sound-Bar, Ohm, Primary Night Club, etc etc etc. Last time I was at Sound-Bar, the lower level floor was playing hip hop.

What else are you looking to do? If you're into museums and stuff, then there's also the Museum of Science and Industry in Hyde park which is the largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere. In the same neighborhood (this is where U of Chicago is) sits the Oriental Institute (ancient mid east, not far east) and SMART Museum of Art, both of which are free. There's also the DuSable Museum of African American History which is like $10-$15 only. Another free museum is the National Museum of Mexican Art in the Pilsen neighborhood, which also has a lot of colorful murals on buildings in the neighborhood.

Bars/clubs usually close at 3am on Saturdays, but there's a bunch that stay open until 4am every night and 5am on Saturdays.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I looked out of curiosity and hotels downtown are totally sold out for the 4th weekend. The last few were around $500 to $1,000 per night.

Hotel rooms are crazy expensive in the summer. Even during our wedding on June 6th the hotels that weekend are starting at around $220 a night including taxes.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:27 AM

Cool. That sounds great plus I will get on Meetup to hang with the locals. I will just come in late June or July

Is the loop area the best area to stay downtown?

Old 03-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Is the loop area the best area to stay downtown?
Not really. It's the central business district meaning that there's a lot of tall buildings but there's not a lot of people who actually live there. It's pretty dead at nights and on weekends. To give you an idea - probably 750,000 people work there during a normal weekday, but less than 30,000 actually live there. Over 1/3 of the residents live in the very NE corner of it which is away from where you'd even be. It's a fairly boring place TBH - the one thing that irks me is when people visit Chicago and then almost never leave that area and judge the city on it. On a Thursday or Friday you will find people doing happy hour, but a big majority of the people leave - even people doing happy hour go to other areas (like River North).

The only areas where it's not dead are Millennium Park area and around State/Lake where the Chicago Theatre and some hotels are, as well as the ROOF at theWit (which has excellent views btw - nice lounge/club). But even then, it goes dead after probably 10pm.

I would stay in River North, Streeterville, or Gold Coast to be honest. Way, way more action up there. Close to State Street is good, or even like the Thompson Hotel or Sofitel in Gold Coast, depending on your budget of course. The area where the Thompson Hotel is in is pretty damn vibrant on a normal summer day (especially nights/weekends). Michigan Avenue has a lot of action too, but most of the bars, clubs, restaurants, etc are not on there. Streeterville isn't nearly as a vibrant place as River North or Gold Coast.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I looked out of curiosity and hotels downtown are totally sold out for the 4th weekend. The last few were around $500 to $1,000 per night.
Yeah that's insane. I really should consider putting my place on AirBNB that weekend, but I don't want to get evicted because some stoner got caught at my place.

Quote:
Hotel rooms are crazy expensive in the summer. Even during our wedding on June 6th the hotels that weekend are starting at around $220 a night including taxes.
You should see what I've been paying for some hotels in NYC....that's cheap compared to it

Old 03-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not really. It's the central business district meaning that there's a lot of tall buildings but there's not a lot of people who actually live there. It's pretty dead at nights and on weekends. To give you an idea - probably 750,000 people work there during a normal weekday, but less than 30,000 actually live there. Over 1/3 of the residents live in the very NE corner of it which is away from where you'd even be. It's a fairly boring place TBH - the one thing that irks me is when people visit Chicago and then almost never leave that area and judge the city on it. On a Thursday or Friday you will find people doing happy hour, but a big majority of the people leave - even people doing happy hour go to other areas (like River North).

The only areas where it's not dead are Millennium Park area and around State/Lake where the Chicago Theatre and some hotels are, as well as the ROOF at theWit (which has excellent views btw - nice lounge/club). But even then, it goes dead after probably 10pm.

I would stay in River North, Streeterville, or Gold Coast to be honest. Way, way more action up there. Close to State Street is good, or even like the Thompson Hotel or Sofitel in Gold Coast, depending on your budget of course. The area where the Thompson Hotel is in is pretty damn vibrant on a normal summer day (especially nights/weekends). Michigan Avenue has a lot of action too, but most of the bars, clubs, restaurants, etc are not on there. Streeterville isn't nearly as a vibrant place as River North or Gold Coast.
Thanks

Old 03-04-2015, 12:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
It is mind boggling how much the demand skyrockets in the summer. I have a relative who owns a condo in River North, but at times is not at the premises. Bet they can net a nice chunk of change via AirBNB in the summer.

I agree 100% with your recommendation to the OP to mainly stick to River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville, and maybe the northern pocket of the Loop near the Wit (technically walkable to River North via the bridge across the Chicago River).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah that's insane. I really should consider putting my place on AirBNB that weekend, but I don't want to get evicted because some stoner got caught at my place.

You should see what I've been paying for some hotels in NYC....that's cheap compared to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: