Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 10,807 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions that will serve as a compromise between my boyfriend and I. He would like to stay in the suburbs, while I would like to be in the city. We're open to suggestions for a suburb or a Chicago neighborhood.

We both work in Chicago, with my office near Millenium Park and his office is right by Oglivey. He would like to live in an area with a metra that will take him to OTC, while I'd prefer to be near CTA that will take me into the loop.

He's attracted to the subrubs because he'd like some peace and quiet and affordability. He doesn't think it's possible to find an area in the city that is affordable, safe, and will give him an easy commute to the west loop.

I would like to be in the city in order to minimize our commute and to be able to access some nightlife, we are in our 20s and have no kids. If possible we'd like to keep it to a 40 minute commute or less and to find an area that has some of it's own stores/restaurants/bars. I don't need Wrigleyville but I would like the occassional night out and to have things to do. Stores, movie theater, parks, anything.

We're currently looking to rent at $1000 a month for a one bedroom. It would also be nice to live in an area with easier parking since we both have cars. And like everyone else on this board we'd like to live in an area that's relatively safe.

I appreciate all suggestions in advanced, as currently every neighborhood I suggest to him doesn't meet his standards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 10:34 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
If you pick suburbs, Oak Park or Evanston, but 40 min is stretching with a good day on the purple express and things will still be a bit pricey. In the city, my partner and I currently live in Edgewater, which is very affordable and safe with more than enough to do while still being somewhat low key. You could both take the red line and he could switch brown at Fullerton or Belmont for him to get to the west loop. The Wilson stop in Uptown will become a purple express stop eventually, too, which could be a nice option.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye918 View Post
He's attracted to the subrubs because he'd like some peace and quiet and affordability. He doesn't think it's possible to find an area in the city that is affordable, safe, and will give him an easy commute to the west loop.
He probably doesn't really know as much about the city as he thinks. Most areas of the city are actually pretty quiet once you get away from the main drags. I have visitors from out of town all the time kind of surprised by this. Go to an area like Lincoln Square or Ravenswood which is pretty affordable rent wise and very safe, and tell me that area isn't very quiet. Oh, and a great part about that area is the fact that not only are there city trains there, but there's also a Metra that goes right to Ogilvie in around 20 minutes. The area has a nice amount of restaurants and bars, but it's subdued and very relaxed. On top of that, it's easy to get to areas like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, downtown, etc for nightlife even though there's some there too (but it's not the loud, obnoxious type you guys may know about). The area is full of a lot of families too (including the current Mayor).

Honestly, I'd look into it and walk around the area. I think he'd be surprised about it. I feel that most people unfairly think that most of Chicago is not quiet when it actually is pretty quiet. People are going to recommend areas like Oak Park, Forest Park, and Evanston which are all great, but to be honest - areas like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood are often times just as quiet as any of these in my experience. There are areas of Oak Park too where you think you're in the city and to be honest, could fit into an area like Ravenswood.

Now, if he wants a back yard or something, then suburbs are better for that for sure. But to me based on what he says, it's pretty obvious he doesn't know as much about the city as he thinks he does. I grew up in a pretty suburban environment and had an ex girlfriend who lived in Ravenswood. I remember times in the summer where I'd wake up at her place and be reminded of where I grew up as I heard kids playing outside and a few lawn mowers in the distance.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-07-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 10,807 times
Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking into Ravenswood/Lincoln Sqaure area and I think it might have the right combination for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago