Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 AM

103 posts, read 90,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcanthandlethetruth View Post
There is a Dominick's at Chicago and Damen. That is closer than Ashland and Roosevelt.

Until the Dominick's opened on the corner of Fullerton and Sheffield a few years ago, one did have to go around two miles to get to a large chain grocery store.
Chicago and Damen is still far, over 16 blocks. I'm talking about any types of grocery stores, not just large chains. Theres a pretty decent local grocery store on Clark, just north of fullerton that has been opened for years. Madison and California has nothing. The closet thing you will find to a grocery store is a gas station that sells cheetos and twinkies. That is a food desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
You really think so? Maybe if you are handicapped or old and can't get around well.

Wow, I travel to Target all the time which is over 16 blocks from where I live and I do not complain about it.
It's far enough to called a food desert. In a city of 3 million people not having a grocery store for 2-3 miles is far. Out in the exburbs or even suburbs, not so much. I think most people would agree that having to travel 2-3 miles each way for groceries is too much. Hell, many consider traveling 2 miles to a bar is too far, hence the reason why so many choose to pay higher rents to live in Wrigleyville and Wicker park, as opposed to neighboring areas.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I do not think it was always that way around Madison and California. You do have to remember that the areas around it were once very industrial and for years there were many vacant lots (and there still are many.) The area had been in decline for 40 years.

I think a few large grocery stores that were close to there closed in the last few years.

You mentioned the area is getting a couple new grocery stores soon so what is the issue?
The issue is whether food deserts are a myth or not. There are clearly areas in Chicago that are lacking in grocery stores. I think once Pete's does open it will fill a much needed void and actually do well. As far as Walmart is concerned, I don't care much for it. I rarely go, less than once a year, and when I do I often regret it. I'm sure I'm not alone here. Low quality goods from China, disorganized shelves, mediocre prices, rude customers, and long lines. I'll pass.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,847,078 times
Isn't there a moo and oink at madison and pulaski? That is 12 blocks, closer than 16.

I agree there is a food desert in some areas but it is much smaller than people think. There is an Aldis at Chicago and Kedzie, also 12 blocks away.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:31 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,847,078 times
Default 800 N Kedzie, Aldis

You are right about the Moo and Oink, at Cicero.

Still, Aldis is at 800 N Kedzie, 12 blocks away. I think it is a bit of a stretch to call an area a food desert when there is a grocery store 1.5 miles away. Not everything is going to be within walking distance.

Also, note that these "food desert" areas have fairly low populations. East Garfield Park used to have around 50-60K people. Now, there are around 19K. Same is true for the areas just east of there. Not a whole lot of people live in homes in the parking lots that surround United Center.

You need density to justify having grocery stores only a few blocks away, so it isn't just that the residents are poor it is that there really aren't that many of them in these areas.

Humboldt Park, while poor, has density, especially as you approach Logan Square to the north. Hence, you have grocery stores to service the people living there.

There is also a cultural difference among hispanics and blacks. I find anecdotally that hispanics (particularly first generation Mexicans) are more into fresh produce and less processed foods. Hence, there are a number of Cermak, Tony's, and Carniceria Jimenez in these areas. You just don't see this in really poor black areas with low densities.

I think it is fair to say that ALL the food deserts in Chicago have majority black populations. It isn't just a poverty thing as there are many poor hispanic neighborhoods with grocery stores. But, as I stated before it is more of a density thing, not a race thing. You need to have so many customers within a certain radius to justify a store. Some of the poorest black majority areas (East Garfield Park for example) have low densities and low populations so even if these were nice areas, few grocers would profit by opening stores there.

Pete's, btw is holding off opening their store at Madison and Western as they have other projects in the works that are more profitable and are sitting on the property for a few years until the area fills in more. Basically, they have concluded that there are not enough present residents to justify building a store there. Again, it is all about density.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 AM

77 posts, read 160,002 times
While my stance is firmly anti-Walmart, the people of Chicago should ultimately decide what stores they want or don't want in their area. Any other method is undemocratic.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:45 AM

163 posts, read 317,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
While my stance is firmly anti-Walmart, the people of Chicago should ultimately decide what stores they want or don't want in their area. Any other method is undemocratic.
yeah, but wouldn't it be nice if that's all it took to stop development? to just disagree? most political decisions are undemocratic, until a large enough group of people more than simply disagree. pacifism is a setback.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,474,280 times
Quote:
If this method was employed on a variety of issues in this country, it would be in much better shape and we would have a whole lot more freedom.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:05 AM

77,859 posts, read 60,016,891 times
Quote:
Exactly, but that's what Chicago is...undemocratic. Mono-party rule of any type means that the decisions are made by the powerful interests behind the scenes.

They kept walmart out to benefit the exisiting stores hold on consumers. I wonder who owns those stores?

About 12 years ago they tried to run one of the water taxi guys out of business with inspections and red tape. When that failed, he was killed professionally while leaving work and I don't think they ever charged anyone. The rival water taxi had city and mob ties....go figure.

I remember the Todd Stroger debacle too. Voters were so outraged he only beat the republican by a small landslide...with mayor Daley basically threatening to "terminate the political career" of dems that didn't back Stroger. lol.

I share stories like this with my friend from beijing and it reminds him of home.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM

15,585 posts, read 27,474,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
...I remember the Todd Stroger debacle too. Voters were so outraged he only beat the republican by a small landslide...with mayor Daley basically threatening to "terminate the political career" of dems that didn't back Stroger. lol...
What small landslide? Stroger won by the skin on his teeth.

The people with sense in the burbs voted 60% for Peraica.

Meanwhile the morons in the city voted 69% for Stroger.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 07-08-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago