Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:49 PM

5 posts, read 41,213 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Chicago area soon for his job. He will be working in Merrillville, IN, but I will be working at a large firm in downtown Chicago. We are trying to figure out where to live. He'll have a vehicle assigned to him by his job and his gas will be paid for. From what I hear, it might be easier for him to drive to Merrillville from the city than for me to commute downtown from Merrillville each day. I am thinking of living as close to my job as possible (close to public transportation with a 30 minute commute or less), since he'll have to commute anyway. Does that sound like a good idea? Are there any better option for us? It's not such a great arrangement, I know. Are there any neighborhoods south of the loop that would be easy for me to commute from and also make his commute a little less painful? We would prefer a neighborhood with a city feel and things to do, but that is also very safe. I am in my late 20s; he is in his early 30s. Thanks a lot for any advice you can give!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,140 times
If your husband is ok with commuting to Indiana then the easiest commutes will be the reverse commutes if you do stay south of the loop. Some of the more popular neighborhoods on the south side are:

South Loop: Lots of highrises, new construction, great access to lakefront, museums, and summer festivals. Price $$$$$. Access to skyway via lake shore drive or Dan Ryan
University Village/Little Italy: New construction townhomes and condos pretty good access to lakefront, museums and summer festivals. Closer to popular bars and taverns more nightlife than south loop. Price $$$$. Access to skyway via a few neighborhood streets and lake shore drive or Dan Ryan
Hyde Park: Vintage condos and homes, neighborhood closest to University of Chicago, much quieter as far as nightlife, but if you like tranquility a good book, and you are not a big drinker you'll find many with similar interests. Price $$$$$. Access to skyway via lake shore drive
Bridgeport: Typical urban "old school" european ethinic Chicago neighborhood. You can still get a beer for a buck at the local tavern and get all the neighborhood gossip while you're at it. Home to the Chicago White Sox and an emerging artists sceen. Price $$$$. Access to skyway via Dan Ryan
Pilsen: Same feel as Bridgeport except more latino ethinic Chicago Neighborhood. Home to some of the best Mexican food and art in the city. Price $$$. ccess to skyway via Dan Ryan.
Beverly/Morgan Park: Largest historical district in the country, mostly all single family homes, more small town feel than big city. Perfect for families with good schools both public and private. Made famous for its large neighborhood St Patricks Day Parade. Although not exclusively irish catholic, you will find it to be mostly irish catholic depending on what part of the neighborhood you live in. Prices range from $$-$$$$$. Access to Indiana via Bishop Ford.

My 2 cents hope it helps!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
If your husband is ok with commuting to Indiana then the easiest commutes will be the reverse commutes if you do stay south of the loop. Some of the more popular neighborhoods on the south side are:

South Loop: Lots of highrises, new construction, great access to lakefront, museums, and summer festivals. Price $$$$$. Access to skyway via lake shore drive or Dan Ryan
University Village/Little Italy: New construction townhomes and condos pretty good access to lakefront, museums and summer festivals. Closer to popular bars and taverns more nightlife than south loop. Price $$$$. Access to skyway via a few neighborhood streets and lake shore drive or Dan Ryan
Hyde Park: Vintage condos and homes, neighborhood closest to University of Chicago, much quieter as far as nightlife, but if you like tranquility a good book, and you are not a big drinker you'll find many with similar interests. Price $$$$$. Access to skyway via lake shore drive
Bridgeport: Typical urban "old school" european ethinic Chicago neighborhood. You can still get a beer for a buck at the local tavern and get all the neighborhood gossip while you're at it. Home to the Chicago White Sox and an emerging artists sceen. Price $$$$. Access to skyway via Dan Ryan
Pilsen: Same feel as Bridgeport except more latino ethinic Chicago Neighborhood. Home to some of the best Mexican food and art in the city. Price $$$. ccess to skyway via Dan Ryan.
Beverly/Morgan Park: Largest historical district in the country, mostly all single family homes, more small town feel than big city. Perfect for families with good schools both public and private. Made famous for its large neighborhood St Patricks Day Parade. Although not exclusively irish catholic, you will find it to be mostly irish catholic depending on what part of the neighborhood you live in. Prices range from $$-$$$$$. Access to Indiana via Bishop Ford.

My 2 cents hope it helps!
That's a good summary, although I'd add that if you are renting, Bridgeport is much more affordable than the South loop or Hyde Park.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
I'd recommend Beverly/Morgan Park as well.

I think the Irish Catholic factor might be slightly overstated in a previous post, but its definitely a significant demographic. There's lots to do -Beverly Arts Center, Borders Books, new retail development along 95th Street, bars (West side of Western), restaurants and the Metra Rock Island Line gets you to the LaSalle Street station downtown in about 30 minutes.

Beverly is directly north or Morgan Park (north of 111th is Beverly/south is M.P.), and is more of the epicenter for the area. Search on zip code 60643

You could also look at Mount Greenwood, which is a far south side family friendly neighborhood centered around Western - Kedzie & 107th, but its farther from the highways and public transit. Generally considered very safe for a city neighborhood. Search zip code 60655

Last edited by cdc3217; 01-15-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 41,213 times
Thanks a lot! That was EXACTLY the information I was looking for!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:29 AM

184 posts, read 766,176 times
Those new to the city should avoid Hyde Park and Beverly/Morgan Park. Those neighborhoods are surrounded by high crime areas and your hubby could end up in big trouble if your car breaks down along the way. It's best that you live close to your downtown job and let him commute south to Indiana since he will be commuting away from the direction of the busiest traffic. Overall, I recommend the South Loop, and no farther south than Cermak Road. All those other neighborhoods will force your hubby to commute thru more high crime areas.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel2000 View Post
Those new to the city should avoid Hyde Park and Beverly/Morgan Park. Those neighborhoods are surrounded by high crime areas and your hubby could end up in big trouble if your car breaks down along the way.
I'm sorry, but this is silly. Hundreds of thousands of people commute through these areas every day without incident. Especially in Beverly and Morgan Park, he'll be on the expressway before he ever gets to a bad neighborhood. From Hyde Park it's, what, a mile of questionable neighborhood before you hit the expressway? What are the chances of breaking down in that one mile during your 50 mile commute? How do suppose the people who live in these neighborhoods ever get into or out of them every day? Give me a break.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:21 AM

863 posts, read 2,784,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm sorry, but this is silly. Hundreds of thousands of people commute through these areas every day without incident. Especially in Beverly and Morgan Park, he'll be on the expressway before he ever gets to a bad neighborhood. From Hyde Park it's, what, a mile of questionable neighborhood before you hit the expressway? What are the chances of breaking down in that one mile during your 50 mile commute? How do suppose the people who live in these neighborhoods ever get into or out of them every day? Give me a break.
I agree. While I know that these surrounding neighborhoods aren't the best, one doesn't automatically encounter danger upon entering. In fact, if someone were to break down chances are he or she will get help from someone before they get robbed.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEN0 View Post
If interested i have a beautiful gut rehabbed home in beverly/morgan pk please respond if interested
This thread is a year old. I would say it is safe to assume the OP made a decision already.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I lived in the South Loop a few years ago, and its even more gentrified today. The revese commute for the hubby is the way to go. You can take a short bus ride or cab to work cheaper than parking a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago