Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 01:13 PM

17 posts, read 59,173 times

Advertisements

I spent my first 35 years living in Lincoln Square! It's still very nice, best part is east of Western avenue and west of Damen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 01:42 PM

249 posts, read 685,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren1 View Post
I spent my first 35 years living in Lincoln Square! It's still very nice, best part is east of Western avenue and west of Damen.
I agree, the area between Damen and Western has always been the nicest, but I think you have to say it's a whole different class of nice vs. 30 or 40 years ago. Back then it was probably the good housing stock and German population base that kept the area stable compared to nearby neighborhoods. So it never sunk too low and made it a great candidate for the tremendous growth going for the past 15 years. But it's a long way back to the days of Juergen's Bakery, Jupiter, Schmidt Imports, Del Farm, Brumlik's, Pleasing Supermarket, etc., ... and the orange Lincoln Square Savings Stamps.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 AM

12 posts, read 35,249 times
Default Looking for more Lincoln Square Info

I don't want to start another "moving to Chicago, help me pick a neighborhood thread", but I've scoured many of the others and I haven't been able to find much on Lincoln Square. First, some background: I am a 23/f, single, and I am hoping to tranfer to the Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago when I move (I work at the one in Niagara Falls, US currently). From what I have found, it seems that Lincoln Square may be a good neighborhood for me. I am not a crazy club-hopper (although I do enjoy casual drinks with friends or live music), and am really looking for a "homey" type of neighborhood. From what I have found, Lincoln Square has kind of a "small town in the middle of a big city" kind of thing going on. Accurate or no?
The one potential drawback I see is somewhat limited access to the el depending on where I could find an apt in that area (I have mapped it and it looks like about a 35 min el ride to the HRC). My budget (at least for now) is around 800-900 a month, and I'm hoping to find a place with heat included. Also, I read that parking in Lincoln Square is a little easier than other neighborhoods. I will have my car with me, at least at first...maybe I will end up getting rid of it. But either way, I'm not trying to spend $200 a month on parking, which I know is easy to do. Obviously I want to be somewhere "safe", but I'm not naive about city life...I understand common sense, etc. Anyways, I'm just looking for a little advice on this neighborhood, but feel free (please do!) add any additional insights into other neighborhoods I should be checking out. Thanks in advance for not yelling at me for posting another moving/neighborhood thread! I've read through these threads constantly for the past couple of days and everyone has great advice and insight!

Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times
Street parking is a lot easier to come by in Lincoln Square than some of the other northside neighborhoods. Obviously, the closer you get to the El, the harder the parking is to find. I suspect rent will be cheaper north of Lawrence (but with a longer walk to the Western or Damen stop) although there's plenty of apartments south of Lawrence, so there may be deals to be had right now.

Rather than take the Brown Line all the way in, I would suggest transferring to the Red at Belmont and going to State/Lake rather than ride the Brown around the loop.

It's quiet and fairly safe, with lots of young families about, although there was a restaurant/bar owner murdered outside his place last weekend.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM

33 posts, read 95,538 times
The closest stop to the Hard Rock Cafe (Clark and Ontario) is probably the Grand and State Red Line stop (Probably 3-4 blocks). So I would transfer to the red line at Belmont or Fullerton like was mentioned above.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:25 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey155 View Post
I don't want to start another "moving to Chicago, help me pick a neighborhood thread", but I've scoured many of the others and I haven't been able to find much on Lincoln Square. First, some !
In addition to the Damen and Western stops, look near the Rockwell stop, which is a very cute area.

LIncoln Square would meet your needs, as would the area just west of it, Albany Park. Albany Park is more internationally diverse (especially for Korean and Middle Eastern foods), only about 5 minutes longer on the "L" and probably less expensive.

And I don't know whether rents have dropped a little or not, but a little east of Lincoln Square is Andersonville which I think you'd probably also like, and which is close to the Red Line.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
For safety, value, lifestyle Lincoln Square is hard to beat. My sister has a large single family home there that would be more than twice as much in Lakeview and probably still not have as quiet a street.

Rents are higher than Albany Park, probably in line with Andersonville but I feel that the pluses of Lincoln Square to someone like the OP, who is looking for a bit of small town homeyness is harder to find anywhere else...

Old 10-09-2009, 02:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
I like Lincoln Square for it's restaurants and shops but I don't know about a small town feel. The shop owners are pretty accommodating but the population is just a slightly older demographic of the same yuppies in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. Also, lots and lots of kids which can certainly get old for a single person competing with strollers on the sidewalk.

If I were single I'd definitely prefer Edgewater (and Andersonville) or if OP is looking for a more residential area, Ravenswood Manor.

I'd also think about ditching the car before coming. It will become a PITA on a waitress' salary pretty fast.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. I did know that I would have to transfer to the Red Line at some point, I discovered that google maps has a wonderful feature where you can enter two addresses and instead of getting directions by car, you can get them by public transit, which I anticipate will be a great help to me both on my trip in 2 weeks (we're staying at the Marriot on the Mag Mile) as well as when I move. This is probably old news to many people, but I was excited by it!

So what else can you guys tell me about Lincoln Square? Are there decent coffee shops, restaurants, cafes, etc? What about things like grocery shopping (in Chicago in general)...I'm used to loading up my car trunk and driving it back to my house! I'm sure that will be an adjustment for me, but I've heard about peapod and the like...considering that for the heavier items (i.e. cat litter).

Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM

Surlycue - thanks for the advice. I'm okay with an older demographic, as well as families (maybe I could pick up some babysitting gigs for extra cash!) I had thought about Lincoln Park, but I feel like I am definitely priced out of it...I would be okay with a studio apt, but obv prefer something a little bigger. I will have to do more research on the other neighborhoods mentioned here...Andersonville seems to be a popular one. Being on the red line would be convenient too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago