Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 AM

331 posts, read 1,540,162 times

Advertisements

I have two foreign co-workers who're flying into Midway either this Friday or early next week. Looks like they've studied CTA website and have their mind made up on taking the orange line all the way downtown. They say that by all means they want that unique el train experience and refuse to even think about a cab.

I've never taken el to Midway. And I probably won't be able to make time to check it out myself, since it was kind of on a short notice. So my question is - does anyone know if it's a safe route to take? In terms of safety, would it be equivalent to taking red line from Howard to downtown, or say a blue or brown line downtown?

They would be riding the train either early in the morning or around 3~4 in the afternoon, depending on the flight they choose. One of them is white, another is asian, both are kind of yuppie-looking and rather unfamiliar with American urban realities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,471,921 times
I've taken the orange from Midway several times. I would do it at night, so during the day and as men it's absolutely fine.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:20 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,059,048 times
I've taken the Orange Line to midway and vice versa many times and have never had an issue.

At the time of day especially, they should be fine. You can always recommend that they ride in the first car to decrease the chance they'll be bothered by the occasional panhandler/youth raising money for their "school's basketball team."

j33

4,626 posts, read 14,037,665 times
It is perfectly safe. I've taken it many times to Midway (usually I get on at 35th). I've never had a single problem.

863 posts, read 2,773,967 times
Whenever I see questions like these, I always think of that scene in Adventures in Babysitting when the suburban kids are on an el train and get caught in the middle of a gang fight. I wonder if that's the scenario tourists envision when they wonder about their safety on the train.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:21 AM

8,438 posts, read 12,116,280 times
Default A Scenic Ride

Yes, the Orange line ride from Midway downtown to the loop is safe and I've taken it. Isn't it out by Midway where the youth was ticketed for sleeping on the Orange line? Perhaps the security does not have a lot to do.

Take this in the best way: Anyone, domestic or foreign, male or female, who does not have enough 'game face' to ride the el in midafternoon should not venture into urban areas. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM
j33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Whenever I see questions like these, I always think of that scene in Adventures in Babysitting when the suburban kids are on an el train and get caught in the middle of a gang fight. I wonder if that's the scenario tourists envision when they wonder about their safety on the train.
I remember watching that movie with my parents as a suburban kid and we all laughed because we all knew it was BS (I rode the 'el' for the first time alone as a teenager in 1988). But come to find out, people actually thought that is what it was like. Weird eh?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM

863 posts, read 2,773,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I remember watching that movie with my parents as a suburban kid and we all laughed because we all knew it was BS (I rode the 'el' for the first time alone as a teenager in 1988). But come to find out, people actually thought that is what it was like. Weird eh?
I think the worst I've seen is someone getting their chain snatched while sitting next to the door. One does have to be vigilant and have a "game face" (tm Manigault) when riding public transportation.

"Don't f#$k with the Lords of Hell!"
"Dont f#$k with the babysitter!"

Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
j33

I did have a disturbing incident back around '91 when I was taking the 'el' down to 95th street for some reason and a guy got on the train who clearly had a handgun sticking out of his trousers. Everyone on the train saw his gun (he made no effort to hide it and appeared very high) and we all nervously started to move to other cars. That is probably the freakiest thing that I've ever seen. But that was a different time.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,486,192 times
Its fine on there and there are cops on the trains so you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: