Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:01 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times

Advertisements

I agree with knitgirl that you probably do not need to have Naperville on your search list. Given your modest budget and no pressing need for high quality schools you might consider Bridgeport or Pilsen, those are both mostly safe areas with a range of affordable options that would allow for an easy commute. Bridgeport is undergoing some shifts, once a bastion of Chicago's working class / politically connected Irish and Italian it is now more mixed with an influx of those from nearby Chinatown as well increasing numbers of folks with Hispanic backgrounds and some more adventurous folks look for affordable options for gentrification. Similarly Pilsen has been primarily dominated by folks of Mexican heritage for many decades but is seeing some gentrification driven by folks looking for more affordable options that are still close to UIC and good transportation options, though there is occasionally some backlash from those opposed to change...

Once you get to Chicago you'll have time to learn the intricacies of CPS very complicated school admissions policies and hopefully get into one of the acceptable options. If that does not happen, perhaps at that point you'll need to consider a suburb where access to quality schools is much simpler. For know I would try to dig into determining what sorts of changes you can tolerate regarding shifting your commute patterns and such. Odds are you will be encouraged to forego driving to work by the many urbanophiles that like Chicago's buses and El. That said, there are mix of standard "big box" retailers just east of your work location as well as smaller more traditional shops that pepper Pilsen and cater to the sorts of native patterns of the various Mexican regions that people trace their roots to. There is some momentum to make Pilsen a more diverse / desirable destination, along the lines of areas on Chicago's north side / nearer to the lake areas and some folks see great promise in such efforts so you'll need to shop carefully to find something that is still in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 12:02 PM

22 posts, read 23,436 times
Hi,

what is your opinion on University village ??

Old 04-30-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks a lot chet !!!

Somehow the rental websites are throwing multiple options in Pilsen and UIC in my budget.

And if there are hidden costs which can jack up the cost, taking your feedback- i may just settle for a smaller apartment closer to work which fits my budget,

Anyways thanks a lot for the help !!!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Most rental costs are as is - the only thing to keep in mind about is the cost of any utility/tv/internet options not covered with the rent. It's also good to know your options about tv/internet too. Depends on the building, management, etc - my building for example is a high rise, so if I want some new ISP that's available in the area, I'm out of luck unless the building itself gets it. If there's no in-unit laundry either, then there's that too. Otherwise, the only other thing would be a parking cost.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:21 PM

Also.. I came to know from a reference..that Blue Island is the closest suburb, which offers both ease in transport and cheaper rents..

You feedback on UIC and Blue Island is most welcome..expect to land their in June and want zero in on the area before landing ,so that we can quickly settle in some place..difficult to do a lot of house hunting with a lil kid..

Thanks !!!

Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
The area that UIC is in is fine. It's mostly quiet and there's enough families there. Some good food options and stuff there too.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:28 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,888,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avchicago View Post
Also.. I came to know from a reference..that Blue Island is the closest suburb, which offers both ease in transport and cheaper rents..

You feedback on UIC and Blue Island is most welcome..expect to land their in June and want zero in on the area before landing ,so that we can quickly settle in some place..difficult to do a lot of house hunting with a lil kid..

Thanks !!!
The closest suburbs to your work location are to the west including Cicero, Berwyn, Oak Park, and Forest Park. If you lived in the right location in one of these suburbs, you could take the subway (Blue line) to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago