Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best neighborhood for young women in Chicago
Lincoln Park 2 50.00%
Lake View or Wriggleyville 0 0%
Uptown or Lincoln Square 1 25.00%
Edgewater or Rogers Park 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:14 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times

Advertisements

Excellent poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 5,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Excellent poll.
Not much response huh? Thought maybe it would show favorite neighborhoods and eliminate us asking same questions over and over. So much for that! LOL

Old 05-04-2015, 10:02 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernightss View Post
Not much response huh? Thought maybe it would show favorite neighborhoods and eliminate us asking same questions over and over. So much for that! LOL
Hard to answer a poll when you combine different neighborhoods into one answer (Uptown and Lincoln Square, huh?).

Old 05-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Hard to answer a poll when you combine different neighborhoods into one answer (Uptown and Lincoln Square, huh?).
I knew that be a problem it only let me put in four options so I tried to combine the ones that looked closest to each other which I guess I didn't do that very well either. Those are areas I have been referred to so far, just trying to narrow it down a bit. Sorry!

Old 05-04-2015, 10:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernightss View Post
Thank You again for all your help! I did get a web site with crime and it is very low in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. I noticed a lot of the apartments we been looking at only had a window unit for the air. That kind of surprised me. Lincoln Square had a bit more crime but nothing to terrible. Sounds like good areas to look into. Found a couple pretty decent ones by Wriggly Field too but crime seemed to be a lot higher there but mostly robbery and things like that. Thanks Again!
You are probably seeing the area of Lincoln Square near Albany Park. The difference in crime is negligible between Lincoln Park and Lincoln Square. And IMO, Lincoln Square is safer on average because you don't have as much nightlife and less likely that a criminal would hang out in the area trying to take advantage of drunk people coming out of a bar at 4am.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:18 AM

3,924 posts, read 6,836,808 times
I will rank them from safest to least safe according to your neighborhoods listed

Lincoln Park - Safe score of 8 out of 10 (most safe)
Lake View - Safe score of 7 out of 10
Lincoln Square - Safe score of 6 out of 10
Wrigleyville - Safe score of 6 out of 10 most days (lower on cubs games)
Edgewater - Safe score of 5 out of 10
Rogers Park - Safe score of 5 out of 10
Uptown - Safe score of 4 out of 10

This is my own personal ranking and is only based on what I know of each neighborhood. I also took into account the distance traveled to school due to the fact that the CTA CAN be unsafe as well regardless of where the train is heading.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I don't know why you'd rank Lincoln Square at the same level as Wrigleyville. It's definitely safer and quieter. I've spent a lot of time in the LS/Ravenswood area - out of all the neighborhoods, I feel the safest there though the parts of Lincoln Park away from nightlife is about the same.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:55 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Anyone else hear helicopters? The sound is deafening.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Thank you for all the help. It really does help to hear different opinions. I would love to get her in a nice quiet neighborhood but I am guessing she probably not going to jump onboard with that one! LOL You help is greatly appreciated!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:19 PM

184 posts, read 245,474 times
When I first graduated from college and moved to Chicago (the big city!) for the first time, I lived in East Lakeview, very close to the lake. Like you, my parents were concerned about safety, and I wanted many of the things it sounds like your daughter wants. I also didn't take my car right away. I spent a lot of time there and in Lincoln Park, as that is where I worked. I felt safe overall, and there was plenty to do.

Anyway, that was almost nine years ago, and I haven't lived in Chicago now for five years, but I don't think the level of safety in that area has likely changed much, at least not from what I hear from friends, the news, and this board. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago