Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best neighborhood for young women in Chicago
Lincoln Park 2 50.00%
Lake View or Wriggleyville 0 0%
Uptown or Lincoln Square 1 25.00%
Edgewater or Rogers Park 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 AM

8 posts, read 5,972 times

Advertisements

My daughter is getting ready to go to graduate school in Chicago. She 21 and never lived in a city. Could you help me with good safe neighborhoods for her. Right now she will be going to school in the city. She is not bringing her car, unless you think she might need it. She will be rooming with another girl for sure maybe two. She like it to have a lot of things to do but to be close to grocery, shopping etc. But I am more concerned as to what areas are safe for young women. They talked about rent of 700 each but are willing to go more if they need to, to get what is safe with a lot to do. Feel free to tell us if that rent is to low or high and what would be a good price as well as a good area. I think she ruled out living in the actual city and wants a neighborhood close to downtown. Thank for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 11:01 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
There are tons of schools in Chicago, please let us know what school it is for most appropriate recommendations.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
There are tons of schools in Chicago, please let us know what school it is for most appropriate recommendations.
Yes there are tons of schools she will be going to Adler School of Phy on Deerborn but she doesn't want to live downtown. I would like it in a safe area although she like some of the nightlife. Which I realize are opposites a lot times the bar area is not as safe as I would like it. We been looking around Lincoln Park is that a good area? It has a lot to do but was not sure how safe it was. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Also she is a single white female no children and only 21. Is it safe to live next to the train stops? She like to be close but again I am thinking that would be were a lot of the crime would be. Thank you for all your help!

Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernightss View Post
I think she ruled out living in the actual city and wants a neighborhood close to downtown.
This makes no sense. All the neighborhoods you mentioned are in the city of Chicago. Do you mean she ruled out living "downtown"? What do you consider downtown and close to downtown? People have different definitions of downtown. Most people who live in Chicago don't live downtown. Living on an L line versus living somewhere she'd have to take a bus from makes a big difference. A neighborhood can be further in miles but closer in minutes. School location does make a difference. If she's going to U of C people are going to make different recommendations than if she's going to Loyola or DePaul or UIC or IIT or the School of the Art Institute or NEIU or North Park or National Louis, etc.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I was typing while you were posting the one directly above. Check this out: Crime reports | EveryBlock Chicago. Lincoln Park is a popular neighborhood for transplants. Wherever she ends up, she needs to use some smarts when she's out late.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
I was typing while you were posting the one directly above. Check this out: Crime reports | EveryBlock Chicago. Lincoln Park is a popular neighborhood for transplants. Wherever she ends up, she needs to use some smarts when she's out late.

I am sorry I am not that familiar with Chicago either. I guess what I meant is she didn't want to be downtown as in right near the school or my one of the parks or the loop. she wants to be in a neighborhood just outside of the main core. Sorry I do not really know what to call what area. Is Lincoln Park park of the downtown area just a certain neighborhood? I thought it was like a suburb. Yes I agree if she out late she have to be careful no matter where she at. Is living that close to the nightlife dangerous even if you stay at home meaning more break ins etc? She will be going to Adler which is right off the loop on Deerborn. There is just so many different areas up there. What about should she go there a realtor for help, if so what is a good one to use?

Old 05-03-2015, 01:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Adler is in the Loop, and 7 of the 8 train lines in the city converge there. So needless to say, she has options. The school is closest to the Blue and Red lines.

Lincoln Park is a neighborhood of about 65,000 people not too far north of downtown. It's not even close to the suburbs. There are 2.7 million people living in Chicago and probably around or less than 150,000 live downtown. So you know, over 2.5 million people don't live downtown. A bunch of the tall buildings you see in the Loop aren't even residential - they're offices. During the weekdays, the daytime population of the Loop swells to probably somewhere between 500K and 750K. However, there's only around 30K people who actually live there and over 10K of them are in a corner in the NE side of the neighborhood. It'll be a big change for her because going by your description, it'll be much, much larger than anything she's ever lived in. The city of Chicago is 227 sq miles with 2.7 million people in it.

Lincoln Park is a safe area and one of the most desirable areas of town. It's safe, there's a lot of restaurants, bars, shops, etc and served by good transit (3 train lines and many buses). This means it's one of the most expensive parts of town. While she could find somethinghere and there for that price there ($700/person, maybe more though), it's definitely at the lower end of the spectrum there. Going north in Lakeview is cheaper, but not drastically.

My thought is that an area like Lincoln Square/Ravenswood might be good. It's very laid back, low crime, and I think the budget would work there (maybe spend a little more). Fun fact: It's also the area where the mayor lives. Anyway, a lot of families and people from their mid-ish 20s on up. Maybe not what she's looking for BUT it's like 5-10 minutes to night life areas in Lakeview, a few minutes more to Lincoln Park, a few minutes further to Old Town, and maybe 20 minutes to nightlife/shopping areas downtown (i.e. River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast). The area though is very calm and if I blindfolded you and took you there, you'd probably think you were in some pre-war suburb but very walkable with a fair number of restaurants, shops, and bars/lounges. The brown line goes straight into the Loop maybe 2 blocks west of where she'd be going to school so it's not a big deal. It's maybe 30-35 minutes each way. Look near the Western, Damen, or Montrose Brown Line stops (there's a Damen blue line stop BTW which is a cool area, but out of her price range).

Another area they may want to look at is Ukrainian Village which is slightly NW of the Loop and along the Blue Line (runs 24/7). The area is in the process of gentrifying but it's fairly safe (still every once in awhile some weird stuff happens but nothing on an alarming, regular basis). To the north and also long the Blue Line is a hip-ish area called Wicker Park with a lot of stuff to do. Further north is Logan Square which is kind of a hipster area in a few parts. If you continue on the Blue Line all the way, you'll get to O'Hare airport. All of these areas have a relatively indie feel, though you can find your chain stuff there too.

And while these areas are all safe, it's important for her to know that anything could happen anywhere - it's just that the likelihood in these areas are much lower than others. If she's drinking and too drunk, and especially alone - don't walk home alone. I'm not saying something would happen but there's always a chance greater than 0% when you're in a big city. Call for a cab or something, or if she's with friends, make sure they go together.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-03-2015 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM

[quote=marothisu;39470990]Adler is in the Loop, and 7 of the 8 train lines in the city converge there. So needless to say, she has options. The school is closest to the Blue and Red lines.

Thank you so much! I have already been looking in the area you mentioned. So far what I have found is even higher. I think they may need to increase their rent amount some. Either what I looked at in Lincoln Park where on high crime roads or she just not allowing enough rent. There are so many places to look at, thank for taking the time to give me all that information.

I have already preached to her on the stay with groups and don't walk alone. Hopefully she will listen. I even gave her that spill in Champaign! LOL Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2015, 03:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernightss View Post

Thank you so much! I have already been looking in the area you mentioned. So far what I have found is even higher. I think they may need to increase their rent amount some. Either what I looked at in Lincoln Park where on high crime roads or she just not allowing enough rent. There are so many places to look at, thank for taking the time to give me all that information.

I have already preached to her on the stay with groups and don't walk alone. Hopefully she will listen. I even gave her that spill in Champaign! LOL Thanks again!
I think that she should be able to find something in Lincoln Square or Ravenswood, maybe increase to $800/mo. My ex lived near the Montrose stop a few years ago and only paid about $625/month for her share in a big 2 bedroom (only crappy thing was there wasn't an AC anywhere but the kitchen). I'm sure prices have risen, but not drastically. The supply available right now might not be great though which is what you may be seeing.

Pretty much nowhere in Lincoln Park is high crime. You'd probably see some though late at night when drunk people are taken advantage of in some areas, but overall it's a pretty safe area. Lincoln Square is more chill and might be a good transition for her into a big city since the area is not crazy (but most of Chicago is pretty chill in reality - not like parts of Manhattan at all except for a small handful of small parts. Much tamer).

Old 05-04-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think that she should be able to find something in Lincoln Square or Ravenswood, maybe increase to $800/mo. My ex lived near the Montrose stop a few years ago and only paid about $625/month for her share in a big 2 bedroom (only crappy thing was there wasn't an AC anywhere but the kitchen). I'm sure prices have risen, but not drastically. The supply available right now might not be great though which is what you may be seeing.

Pretty much nowhere in Lincoln Park is high crime. You'd probably see some though late at night when drunk people are taken advantage of in some areas, but overall it's a pretty safe area. Lincoln Square is more chill and might be a good transition for her into a big city since the area is not crazy (but most of Chicago is pretty chill in reality - not like parts of Manhattan at all except for a small handful of small parts. Much tamer).
Thank You again for all your help! I did get a web site with crime and it is very low in Lincoln Park and Lakeview. I noticed a lot of the apartments we been looking at only had a window unit for the air. That kind of surprised me. Lincoln Square had a bit more crime but nothing to terrible. Sounds like good areas to look into. Found a couple pretty decent ones by Wriggly Field too but crime seemed to be a lot higher there but mostly robbery and things like that. Thanks Again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago