Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Chicago residents seem to hate everything about NYC and being compared to NYC in IMO at least the ones I have met over the years, when I visit NYC their long time residents almost nobody seemed to care about any other place including Chicago. NYC residents are indifferent to any place other than NYC metro. That being said Chicago is better place to live IMO for cost of living. NYC is more fun to visit, just my non bias opinion. Chicago homers and NYC homers on this site will probably say their city is the best, typical CD non sense.
NYC has achieved WORLDS CITY STATUS. Back in a day when BOTH cities were growing wildly with a constant flow of immigrants. There probably was a degree of competition? But NYC won the growth race pretty quick, being most immigrants came through Ellis Island for decades.

But even back then New Yorkers looked down upon Chicago as a slaughtering Cow Town. When Chicago WON a Worlds Fair and New Yorkers SCOFFED they could Pull it off and LABELED THE BOASTFUL POLITITIONS "Windy, " as in a "Windy City". The Nick stuck.... it was intended to be derogatory.

Fifty years ago NO ONE was Comparing Chicago to NYC? Because Chicago's Skyline was nothing close to Manhattan's. Movies GLORIFIED Manhattan. Chicago was just another city Entertainers loved. But was the Grittier Industrial city. The Racial change and strife of the 60s was EXTREEMLY Rough on Chicago.

But something happened Downtown that had Corporate America not give up on the City. They built some ICONIC STRUCTURES That began a MAKE-OVER of the "Second City". Investments Downtown by the city took off in the 80s 90s to today. All PAYED OFF despite Bribes and pay-offs to politicians and Over-runs possibly created by the Unions.

A couple failed. One being the closing State Street to all but diesel fuming buses back in the 80s. Into a supposed Pedestrian Mall. It failed to save the Retail on the street. Navy Pier was a notable HUGE SUCCESS. The Evolution of North Michigan Ave Retail. Went against the Norm or other Cities who lost Most of its downtown retail and no new Street that Replaced the original retail lost. Chicago did.

So today Downtown in Shopping, to Skyline to residents living Downtown, to world-class Restaurants and Museums, even a Thriving Theater scene created in once Old Movie Palaces, that ALL came together to cater to Tourist too.

IT ALL GIVES THE CITY NOW COMPARISONS TO NYC. That was far less prevalent 50 years ago. Of course in QUANTITY NYC will always win. Quality now has other cities share more too.

But I agree with other Posters. CHICAGOANS though PROUD OF THEIR DOWNTOWN NOW and most of the city. DO NOT Boast to compare themselves BETTER then NYC. But New Yorkers tend to Scoff at A Chicago has ANYTHING COMPARIBLE OR CLOSE TO NYC. They show that here on C-D. Chicago likers merely find themselves, needing to defend against those who give ALL Glory to NYC still? With they do have aspects worthy of comparisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What we hate is the perception that we're constantly comparing ourselves to NYC when we aren't. Other people seem to want to for whatever reasons, such as choosing to relocate to one versus the other. In such case we'll step in and make relevant comparisons and contrasts to the best of our knowledge. Other than that, the average Chicagoan doesn't spend enough time thinking about NYC to care one way or another about the place, much less hate it.
Right on!!!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What we hate is the perception that we're constantly comparing ourselves to NYC when we aren't. Other people seem to want to for whatever reasons, such as choosing to relocate to one versus the other. In such case we'll step in and make relevant comparisons and contrasts to the best of our knowledge. Other than that, the average Chicagoan doesn't spend enough time thinking about NYC to care one way or another about the place, much less hate it.
You are probably correct, but man, if I had a dollar for every time a Chicagoan told me how much better they think Chicago is than NYC; I would have a lot of dollars (I'm from NYC and live in Chicago now). From my experience there is an inferiority complex.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:30 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
You are probably correct, but man, if I had a dollar for every time a Chicagoan told me how much better they think Chicago is than NYC; I would have a lot of dollars (I'm from NYC and live in Chicago now). From my experience there is an inferiority complex.
There are some that definitely do, but others do believe that Chicago is better and I don't actually believe it is an inferiority complex. I think Chicago has a great balance to it and the problem is that most people who visit NYC never make it to those areas that offer balance. I also know a bunch of people who lived in NYC for a long time who prefer Chicago. It's all subjective - what they fail to do is bring up relevant subjective things. it's pointless to say something like "Well, Chicago has better ethnic areas" or something, because it's obviously false. However, what's relevant is saying "For my lifestyle and who I am, I like Chicago more" just like you could say about any city.

In reality, most people don't give a **** about giving one city crap or what have you C-D seems to amplify these things quite a bit. Most people I know in Chicago love NYC even if some of them don't think it's for them to live in, they love visiting. I've also had a few friends tell me they fear they'd start taking NYC for granted if they moved there, and they don't want to do that.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There are some that definitely do, but others do believe that Chicago is better and I don't actually believe it is an inferiority complex. I think Chicago has a great balance to it and the problem is that most people who visit NYC never make it to those areas that offer balance. I also know a bunch of people who lived in NYC for a long time who prefer Chicago. It's all subjective - what they fail to do is bring up relevant subjective things. it's pointless to say something like "Well, Chicago has better ethnic areas" or something, because it's obviously false. However, what's relevant is saying "For my lifestyle and who I am, I like Chicago more" just like you could say about any city.

In reality, most people don't give a **** about giving one city crap or what have you C-D seems to amplify these things quite a bit. Most people I know in Chicago love NYC even if some of them don't think it's for them to live in, they love visiting. I've also had a few friends tell me they fear they'd start taking NYC for granted if they moved there, and they don't want to do that.
Sure I guess. My point is, in my experience, Chicagoans love to talk about how their city stacks against NYC. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but the people who typically show an interest in this sort of thing do so quite often.

Also, it's not thinking ones city is better than another, it's the constant reminder of it that screams insecurity to me.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Sure I guess. My point is, in my experience, Chicagoans love to talk about how their city stacks against NYC. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but the people who typically show an interest in this sort of thing do so quite often.

Also, it's not thinking ones city is better than another, it's the constant reminder of it that screams insecurity to me.
I know what you mean, and to some it's definitely an insecurity thing and to others I don't think it is. Personally, I love both cities - both are great in their own way. They're different cities though there are some similarities. I think people who compare it to NYC indirectly show how great NYC really is. I mean, nobody is comparing Chicago to Wichita, KS because Wichita just isn't some place that people would want to say "Yeah! My city is like that!!"

And I think what I brought up is important because most visitors only ever spend time in Manhattan and at that, a small section of Manhattan which is kind of dirty. So when someone from Chicago goes to visit and stays in a dirty section of Midtown, they're going to say "wtf? This is so dirty" People have this habit of going to one area and then thinking that entire city is like that.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I know what you mean, and to some it's definitely an insecurity thing and to others I don't think it is. Personally, I love both cities - both are great in their own way. They're different cities though there are some similarities. I think people who compare it to NYC indirectly show how great NYC really is. I mean, nobody is comparing Chicago to Wichita, KS because Wichita just isn't some place that people would want to say "Yeah! My city is like that!!"

And I think what I brought up is important because most visitors only ever spend time in Manhattan and at that, a small section of Manhattan which is kind of dirty. So when someone from Chicago goes to visit and stays in a dirty section of Midtown, they're going to say "wtf? This is so dirty" People have this habit of going to one area and then thinking that entire city is like that.
I agree with you. I honestly think it is a compliment to NYC that many Chicagoans hold that as their standard, as Chicago is a great city.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:32 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
Seemed like more of an issue in the 90's, when we still had sports rivalries (Bulls/Knicks and everyone hating the Yankees). Plus, back then, we could still make jokes about Manhattan being dirty.

Otherwise, not sure anyone really talks about NYC in a "I hate NYC" type of way these days. But if you introduce yourself as a former new yorker, people may engage in conversations about New York.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
I love both NYC and Chicago. I grew up around NYC, but lived in Chicago for much longer. I think that Chicago is much more livable. I have relatives that live in Central Park West and they just do not get as much for their money as I did in Chicago. I have friends who live in Brooklyn and I really could not live there with the size of their condo and the numbers of the people. Everything is just so crowded there. I love the amenities like the museums and parks, but I think Chicago's amenities are just as good. It's just easier to breathe in Chicago. When I first moved to the area, I had to get used to the slower pace, but now I would not go back to the east coast pace.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
A preference is not an inferiority complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago