Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
When I wake up this morning and see the images of people in Phoenix waving guns and burning religious materials on the doorstep of a mosque, I just don't feel so bad about corruption or debt. Time for a group hug.
you don't think this could happen anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I do believe that if it happened here, there be a thousand counter-demonstrators for every single nutbag who waves an AR-15 or draws a cartoon of Mohammed.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:30 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
No, I don't.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:04 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
I do believe that if it happened here, there be a thousand counter-demonstrators for every single nutbag who waves an AR-15 or draws a cartoon of Mohammed.
Well, there were just about as many counter protesters at this rally in Phoenix.

Phoenix mosque protest: Anti-Islam rally at mosque attended by Garland attackers is met with counter-protest, police.

Organizer Jon Ritzheimer's protest drew a sizeable crowd of counter-protesters, and police quickly seperated the two sides using barricades and, in places, lines of police officers running down the center of the road. There were no reports of violence. According to the Arizona Republic, few of the mosque's worshippers attended Friday evening's services, with some opting to join the counter-protest, and the crowd seemed evenly split:

The number of counter-protesters closely matched those who came in response to a Facebook event that encouraged people to bring weapons and American flags to the Islamic Community Center of Phoenix during its Friday prayer time. The event also advertised a contest to "draw Muhammed," an act offensive to many Muslims, but the contest was quickly forgotten amid the rally.

Besides, I know this is over 30 years ago, but I what I was thinking of when I posted "couldn't this anywhere" I was specifically thinking of the Illinois nazi marches in Skokie in the late 70s.

When the Nazis came to Skokie | Jewish Telegraphic Agency

Many people in the Phoenix area also originally come from Chicagoland area.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:15 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:

Many people in the Phoenix area also originally come from Chicagoland area.

And that's a good thing. Maybe besides just spending their retirement income there, they'll have an opportunity to enlighten some of the furry, gun totin' bigots that we saw at the rally.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I like the weather here. I love a nice cool day now and then. And the weather changes. Not hot relentless heat. Never changes. There is no place with perfect weather. How would you like to have to do your grocery shopping at ten pm at night because that is the only time its cool enough to go out. That happens in AZ.
Who is asking for relentless heat? Because it's almost June and it's in 40's/50's there is something wrong with me? Dealing with the winter here is possible because you know summer will be worth it. I don't go through winter to deal with this BS weather.

I don't need hot relentless heat and that is not what I ask for, but a shame that we are right at June and you need to turn the furnace on. It's May, I don't need or want March weather. Think about it, it would have been nice to be outside at Maifest and Do Division enjoying the city and also playing volleyball at the beach. I was supposed to do all three this weekend, and I did neither, because of the cruddy weather. I know this weekend I am defintely not the minority on this whack ass weather.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
The family and I will be there in June. We have a citypass and we are ready to immerse ourselves in Chicago. I want to do the Architectural Riverboat Tour. Should I purchase a ticket in advance? Or, wait until we arrive and purchase a ticket based on the weather? I presume that tours are not conducted during rainy weather.
I was on a tour that just left the dock and the clouds OPENED. The boat was not full and all could move to the lower level that is covered but you can see out. Before the Boat reached the Locks to go into the lake. It stopped and just some light fog hung around.

I DEFINATELY RECOMMEND A ..... "LAKE" and River cruise . You have to see the Skyline from the Lake. Ask to make sure. Some ONLY Go down and back in the River ONLY. Don't miss the Cruise in the LAKE TOO.

Remember it is generally cooler on the Lake. If it is a day with wind? Splashes can occur from waves. Try to get a top open seat on the Boat. BUT BEST TO PUT THE SUN SCEEN ON TOO. You could get burned out in the open top tier of the boat in a over a hour cruise.

I Also prefer a MORNING to 1:00 or so cruise. Because the morning sun is on the skyline not going behind it. You can also buy a Ticket at the Dock for the next day. Of course you rather a nice day and weekend are busiest. The can add extra cruises? But they Will be a shorter River only one.

My other tourist recommendations are.... When Walking Michigan Ave, the premier Shopping street. Make sure you Go the couple more blocks past the "Old Water Tower" City Landmark and Big John Hancock building ...AFTER or BEFORE You take in the 360° Skydeck on Top of the building or Fine Dining Restaurant near the Top. I believe it has the Best City Views. Because you get to see the WHOLE North Shoreline of the city too and Lake and of course rest of Downtown.

...........Navy Pier is a nice walk.....A walk through...Have to take a......Certainly visit
..........remodeling of it's been......Millennium Park..Lake/River cruise ..Oak Street Beach
...........going on Skyline view ......See "The Bean"... Skyline views ....a tiki bar on it too
Attached Thumbnails
Time to appreciate Chicago a little more-navy-pier-chicago__.jpg   Time to appreciate Chicago a little more-navy-pier-chicago__.jpg   Time to appreciate Chicago a little more-.chicagos-millenium-park_.jpg   Time to appreciate Chicago a little more-chicago-lighthouse_.jpg   Time to appreciate Chicago a little more-chicago-oak-street-beach-when-palm  

Time to appreciate Chicago a little more-chicago-downtow-beach_.jpg  

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
When I wake up this morning and see the images of people in Phoenix waving guns and burning religious materials on the doorstep of a mosque, I just don't feel so bad about corruption or debt. Time for a group hug.

Chicago is absolutely a great place to live. For all the things to worry about, there are just as many things you don't have to worry about: hurricanes, earthquakes, drought, wildfires. And the weather in Chicago will only get warmer due to global warming

Now only if the politicians will get their **** together.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM

410 posts, read 491,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Don't know what you've got until it's gone.

A lot of this country has got a long ways to go. I'm not saying that Chicago is superior; just noting that Many people cling to the past as if their lives depended on it.
I'd guess you're talking racism, right?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:20 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
I'd guess you're talking racism, right?
Yes, but not even limited to that. People will block or impede progress because they're trying to hold on to the 'good old days'.

My frame of mind when I wrote that post was in thinking about my own neighborhood. Old folks who've been around since the dawn of time and never left the neighborhood are desperately trying to keep new folks out and resist any sort of change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: