Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:03 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC03 View Post
I'm a student who cannot seem to get anything done at home, so I need to find a good coffee shop to study at.
Ideally a place where you can study how to not end a sentence with a preposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ideally a place where you can study how to not end a sentence with a preposition.
But is not ending a sentence with a preposition the Chicago way? Hmmm...

Old 11-24-2008, 12:17 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
But is not ending a sentence with a preposition the Chicago way? Hmmm...

Probably not but it is the Chicago way to take an open shot.

It's a guy's first day at Harvard and he's looking for the library. So he goes up to another student and asks "can you tell me where the library's at?"

Well the other student gets real snooty and replies in an uppity tone "Here at Harvard we never end a sentence with a preposition".

"Oh, I'm sorry" the first guy says, "let me rephrase that. Can you tell me where the library's at, arshole?"

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Probably not but it is the Chicago way to take an open shot.

It's a guy's first day at Harvard and he's looking for the library. So he goes up to another student and asks "can you tell me where the library's at?"

Well the other student gets real snooty and replies in an uppity tone "Here at Harvard we never end a sentence with a preposition".

"Oh, I'm sorry" the first guy says, "let me rephrase that. Can you tell me where the library's at, arshole?"
Ok that works fine.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC03 View Post
I'm a student who cannot seem to get anything done at home, so I need to find a good coffee shop to study at. Ideally not too quiet... I need some background noise. Wicker Park, Bucktown, West town areas would be good. I might venture over to Lincoln Park or Old Town from time to time as well... Oh and don't you dare say Starbucks!!! Free Wifi would be awesome as well!
How about in yo mammy's kitchen?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 9,322 times
How about in yo mammy's kitchen?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,428,820 times
I have no idea because I can not study at coffee shops. I am way too much of an observer.

good luck!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:39 AM

131 posts, read 356,077 times
I know it's an old thread resuscitated to take an immature shot but New Wave Coffee at the intersection of Milwaukee and Logan Blvd is good and has free wifi.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM

440 posts, read 1,501,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebergsyndrome View Post
I know it's an old thread resuscitated to take an immature shot but New Wave Coffee at the intersection of Milwaukee and Logan Blvd is good and has free wifi.
Yes, NW is a fine cofee shop, indeed...And they're not kidding about the "New Wave", either!

They were playing XTC when I walked in there, which totally threw me for a loop. The place was pretty much full, and I found myself wondering: "How many of these kids even know who this band is? How many would run for the door in disgust and horror if I told them?".

Fortunately, a table opened up soon as I got my cofee, so I didn't have to perform my little experiment.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:46 PM

504 posts, read 1,492,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Yes, NW is a fine cofee shop, indeed...And they're not kidding about the "New Wave", either!

They were playing XTC when I walked in there, which totally threw me for a loop. The place was pretty much full, and I found myself wondering: "How many of these kids even know who this band is? How many would run for the door in disgust and horror if I told them?".

Fortunately, a table opened up soon as I got my cofee, so I didn't have to perform my little experiment.
Bands like XTC have a lot of cred with the type of people that frequent that coffee shop. And yes, I'd bet a given person would be able to identify what they were listening to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago