Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:07 AM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times

Advertisements

I'm a straight guy in my late 20s and am thinking about going to the Pride parade this weekend because hey, why not. I've never been to something like this before and any advice is appreciated. What's the best street to arrive from (Belmont, Addison, etc)? What's the best, least-crowded way and time to get there via CTA? General dos and don'ts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 11:38 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
If you really are straight and you've not been to the parade before it probably makes sense to try to gather a group of friends (of all genders / orientations...) to hang out with and support the causes of equality / acceptance / pride. Lots more fun than standing around by yourself and awkwardly trying to meet new friends that might misunderstand your intentions. If the weather is good, especially in the early part of the day, you can expect LOTS of people to be quite inebriated and that tends to increase flirtatious behaviors. Having even co-workers and such that will make it clear why you are at the parade helps to avoid any confusion.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:49 AM

928 posts, read 1,712,484 times
Oh, that's this weekend? Guess I'll have to stay home. It's thankfully south of where I live, but it'll still be a sh*t show in my neighborhood in general, and they're going to certainly sh*t up the Red Line.

Oh, um, my advice is just go have fun? It's not terribly complicated. And try not to be too much of a jackass.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:14 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I would take the L if possible. It will still be packed but its better than a Taxi or the Bus... Get off at Belmont, that seems to always be the epicenter.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:20 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Ride your bike. Seriously. Taking public transit to that area will be crush-loaded. Taking transit away may be nearly impossible unless you leave many hours after the parade ends. The past few years they have actually shut down the Belmont station because there were too many people for it to safely handle. I expect the same this year.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I would take the L if possible. It will still be packed but its better than a Taxi or the Bus... Get off at Belmont, that seems to always be the epicenter.
I live off the blue line. Would it be a good idea to take it downtown, then transfer to brown or red?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:33 PM

184 posts, read 245,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I live off the blue line. Would it be a good idea to take it downtown, then transfer to brown or red?
In that case, I'd take a bus instead.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
I saw the Pride parade in 2010 or 2011. When I stayed at the Getaway Hostel near Boystown there. I bought a 6-pack at a grocery store on Clark (I was told they allow beer drinking on the street for the parade) and enjoyed it. It was a sunny HOT day. I missed the Float with the TOPLESS WOMEN TO TAKE A PICTURE ..... Because my battery popped out of me camera. (!@#$%&&) I did get a lot of float pictures. Just was reluctant to show them back home.

After my buzz I was hungry and ate at a pizza place called " The Pie Hole" LOL but the thin crust Pizza was DARN GOOD. The menu was hilarious, so I ate it outside with my beer. In the HOT SUN. sitting on the ground. I got up TOOK MY SHIRT OFF AND FELT FREE. LOL.

I was too overheated to stay for the whole parade. But I'D GO AGAIN FOR SURE.... Oh, one thing too, What I remember is THE LOUD VOLUME OF ALL THE PEOPLE. IT WAS LIKE A ROCK CONCERT THE WHOLE TIME. I walked ..... so no comment on how to get there.

Well that is my memory of it. I did here they shortened since I saw it. BUT I WOULDN'T HESITATE TO SEE IT. GO TO THE LAKEFRONT TILL TRAFFIC CLEARS PERHAPS IF NICE.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:41 PM

498 posts, read 724,090 times
I went for the first time last year, and it wasn't too crowded near the end at Diversey.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:38 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
The menu was hilarious, so I ate it outside with my beer. In the HOT SUN. sitting on the ground. I got up TOOK MY SHIRT OFF AND FELT FREE.

I vote this section for the city-data Hall of Fame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago