Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 PM

605 posts, read 711,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
UnAmerican? I think not. I think getting the most you can out of others is as American as baseball.

Jealous much?

If teaching is so lucrative, why not a career change? Maybe because you know sitting with 30 spawns if the devil for 9 months each year is tougher than any private sector job you ever will hold?
LOL! Definitely not jealous. I am in the private sector, in sales. I can make as much or as little as I want, depending on how hard I want to work (as it should be). No one who is jealous of others goes into straight commission sales... As I mentioned, I have NO problem with people who make more than me, IF, they are paid according to their worth, which has a quantifiable measure. Meaning, the free market dictates their worth. I don't believe in guaranteed anything.

I would never take a government job, as I do not believe in the way the government runs things. I would never want to be part of that, for a variety of reasons which I won't go into here.

As for "getting the most you can out of others" being American, well I guess that's the "new" America. JFK once said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country". THAT's American (and he was a Democrat). That's what this country used to be about since the beginning, when people gave and sacrificed in ways none of us could even imagine. That time is gone. And the selfish, greedy attitudes that are so prevalent is what we are left with now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
But the free market did determine their worth. If the mayor doesn't have the balls to push back against their demands, if instead he gives into their demands, then the market has spoken. The mayor could break the strike, hire scab teachers, and never look back. But that never happens.

So apparently the market has decided that the teachers are paid their worth, because if they weren't, the mayor would laugh at the union demands and just hire new teachers.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 PM

605 posts, read 711,311 times
One guy does not = the "free market". And you don't think there is any corruption? That people aren't paid off or threatened in order to get what they want done?

I am done with this discussion. It's not a real discussion if you consider one guy running his fiefdom the same as the free market. And even if you take Rahm out of the equation, the unions do not operate under free market principles. Guaranteed raises, no chance of getting fired, nothing about the system resembles anything like a free market. It's more like the exact opposite.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamouse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella84 View Post
I've said it before (in this thread), and I'll say it again. Don't compare the private sector and the public education sector. No good can com from it. None. Just accept that they are two different ballgames and move on. If we really want to get into that conversation, we can, but it's so not even worth it.
Not sure who died and left you King that you get to dictate what gets discussed. If the public education sector were not funded by MY hard earned tax dollars, then I would not care. I do not believe in everyone being equal/fair. I have NO problem with people who earn more/have more. But in the private sector, there have to be results/profits or the gravy train ends. In the public sector, they will just keep sucking from the rest of us until there is literally nothing left. Untenable. Unsustainable. Unacceptable. Unreasonable. Unfair. Un American. And a whole bunch of other "uns".

That said, your advice to "move on" has been taken.... we moved (moved on!) out of state two months ago and sold our house and we will no longer be the donor bodies from whom the leeches will suck. So I will drop the subject now. (But this was HUGE factor in our decision to leave... and we got REAL tired of watching our CPS employed neighbors buy new cars, take European vacations, build additions on their homes, enjoy all the fun summers, while we not only slaved, but went backwards in pay, and then we had to watch them strike?? And demand more from us? BEYOND ridiculous. So we said sayonara....)
Hey, why are these 2 arguing? Aren't Bellamouse and Bella84 related?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: