Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 PM

241 posts, read 465,462 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

You've probably seen me post here a few times. I'm moving Chicago in September, and flying up this coming week to take a look at places. I'm a recent college grad working for a client-serving company, so I need my car in case clients are in the suburbs (non negotiable, at least till I figure out my client base). I'm looking in Lincoln Park and Gold Coast, but with my budget (don't wanna go over $1300 WITH parking, be it street or garage), I'm thinking I might be best served looking elsewhere.

I dont want to sacrifice lifestyle to save on rent, as I'm moving to Chicago specifically to experience an urban, young, city lifestyle. Thats why I'm looking at LP and GC. That said, I know that other areas, particularly the west/northwest are experiencing an influx of the 20s crowd and becoming gentrified, and considering I know very little about Chicago, I'd love advice on what other areas I should look at that may give me more bang for my buck, better parking, but still have the urban walkability, access to PT, bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc, that a single 23 year old male would want. I will say, if this helps, that I really do not at all like the frat scene and things like that. I want to be around young people but not ones that still wish they were in their fraternity. I am staying away from the Wriggleyville area for this reason.

I'm looking into Wicker Park, Bucktown, and have an opportunity for a place in Ukrainian Village. The first two I heard are great but I know very little about UV. Similar deal with Logan Square and Roscoe Village. Basically I am open to hearing areas that I may be ignoring at my own expense, but still have a 20s crowd and walkability.

Hopefully this post had some sense to it. Would love any input before flying up in the coming days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,102,981 times
Chicago has fraternity neighborhoods?

Or maybe it's hipster neighborhoods you want to stay away from?

Imo, once you find apartments, then narrow it down. Finding apartments by price. Once you visit several places then report back to us on their locations and such.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 PM

526 posts, read 1,058,189 times
Maybe Uptown? Perhaps Logan Square? I live in Logan Square and it does have a very Hipster scene, it's much less than say LV or LP

Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 PM

My impression (based on reading on here and other sources) would be that the west/north west is a bit more "hipster", but I haven't really heard people describe LP or LV as hipster, more along the lines of "fratty" especially near wriggleyville in LV. I don't love describing neighborhoods in such sweeping generalizations but that's just what I've heard and read. Anyway, to address the poster, it's the frattier types I'm not a huge fan of, though I certainly don't love OVERLY hipster either. Lol this is turning into such a vague reply. Like I said hard to describe things using such vague terms and sweeping generalizations.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:55 AM

The area in UV that I have an opportunity for is on Augusta, with the nearest cross street being Damen. Can you kind folks tell me how this area is? Would you recommend it for a recent college grad? The price point is great but as I said I don't wanna make major lifestyle sacrifices in the name of price.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:08 AM

498 posts, read 977,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Chicago has fraternity neighborhoods?

Or maybe it's hipster neighborhoods you want to stay away from?

Imo, once you find apartments, then narrow it down. Finding apartments by price. Once you visit several places then report back to us on their locations and such.
He ruled out LP and is looking into Bucktown. I think if anything, he's seeking out hipster neighborhoods.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott View Post
The area in UV that I have an opportunity for is on Augusta, with the nearest cross street being Damen. Can you kind folks tell me how this area is? Would you recommend it for a recent college grad? The price point is great but as I said I don't wanna make major lifestyle sacrifices in the name of price.
One of my favorite parts of the city.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:40 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Quote:
You are about 3/4 of a mile to the nearest L station but otherwise it is a great area.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
He ruled out LP and is looking into Bucktown. I think if anything, he's seeking out hipster neighborhoods.
Definitely haven't ruled out LP, it's one of my target neighborhoods. LV/wriggleyville however I'm not really interested in. I'm not necessarily seeking out hipster areas but I just don't want too fratty (or too hipster for that matter).

Old 07-08-2015, 07:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,964 times
Quote:
Definitely haven't ruled out LP, it's one of my target neighborhoods. LV/wriggleyville however I'm not really interested in. I'm not necessarily seeking out hipster areas but I just don't want too fratty (or too hipster for that matter).
Its Wrigleyville. And I wouldn't rule out West Lakeview (especially if you're willing to look at Roscoe Village - look west of Southport) or East Lakeview (which provides the 'young, urban' city experience as well as any neighborhood in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago