Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 12,983 times

Advertisements

I am now aware my options are limited, and Illinois is considered flat as far as hiking goes. I would like to know which places we can hike for a day by preferably using metra and amtrak, if needed some other source is fine (uber, cab, etc). I really don't want to rent a car, and I do not have a bike. I think a cab will be expensive, so I would want to avoid, but I will listen to all opportunities.

I prefer less than 2.5 hours (preferably 2) to get there, and cheap. We only plan to go for 1 day. I do not want to go to Indiana Dunes. Starved Rock could be possible if I take the metra/amtrak and call a cab. This looks expensive. I know this is not going to be as easy as I expected, but it will be helpful if you can provide me some information for my options. This is getting sad. My camping trip to Wisconsin probably wont happen until September, but I cant wait that long to get away.

At first I really wanted to find something similiar to Devils Lake with all the hiking options, but I guess I can settle for something flat with no elevation. At least name places where it feels like I am doing a bit of work, and not just circling around a park. Oh and a beautiful scenery would be nice!

Anyone with personal experience that has done this with success and it was not such a hassle?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
You might as well ask for suggestions on how to cross Lake Michigan without a boat or a plane.

Can you explain why you don't want to rent a car but you'll consider all these other insanely expensive and/or insanely inconvenient options?

Old 07-20-2015, 02:28 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I agree with Drover. This is just a bizarre set of limitations. Inside of a 2.5 hr trip of Chicago, exclusive of the Indiana Dunes, no bicycle, with infinite hiking options and "cheap" is an impossible set of demands.

Technically you can take Metra fairly close to the Illinois State Beach via Metra to the North Chicago stop and then take a Pace bus right to the Park, but the "hiking" is generally quite flat / limited and the Beach is not all that wonderful considering it was once an EPA clean-up site...

Old 07-20-2015, 02:43 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Not probably going to happen. The best hiking in Illinois is far from Chicago and typically not found in metropolitan areas.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:48 PM

Chet & Maintains...thanks for your replies. I understand. Least I tried again. I guess I am going to have to either wait or pay up. Have a good day.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 PM

8 posts, read 34,949 times
Take the Metra Heritage Corridor from Union Station to Willow Springs.

Walk south - have fun for hours. I suggest Swallow Cliff.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:46 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Not a great idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by what89 View Post
Take the Metra Heritage Corridor from Union Station to Willow Springs.

Walk south - have fun for hours. I suggest Swallow Cliff.
There are some decent mountain biking trails in the Forest Preserve but probably 99% of riders drive to them and park in the lots. The same is true of the fitness enthusiasts that climb the former toboggan run stone steps. The reason is simple: walking along the roads that cut through the Forest Preserve is downright dangerous! Lots of motor vehicles (everything from enormous gravel trucks to commuters in SUVs to joy riding motorcyclists) travel WAY TOO FAST on roads that have nearly no shoulder. Some hapless urbanite would quickly be roadkill...

Old 07-20-2015, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 34,949 times
That's true... it's a little difficult when taking a train is the only option to get there, but if you're still feeling adventurous and absolutely must take a train, there is an entrance to a very long hiking trail right off of 87th street at the end of Oakwood ave. You would have to walk about 20 minutes from the train station to get there, but besides crossing Archer Avenue, you would just be walking through a neighborhood with low speed limits.

However, even ubering there would be preferable - and definitely stay on the pedestrian trails once you're in the preserve... you don't want to be the next resurrection Mary!!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:37 AM

138 posts, read 172,243 times
I don't know how worth it the trip to Crystal Lake would be, but...

Sternes Woods Park isn't impossible to get to from the Crystal Lake Metra station. The Google map doesn't show it, but there are trails in there. You could probably hike all of the good trail pretty quickly, though some of the lesser trails (not so marked) might be interesting. The south end of the park is part of a moraine and the north end of the park is (if memory serves) a fen. Not dramatic, but within the criteria listed. Nearby Veteran Acres Park also has some trails too, and is a bit more like a forest preserve on its east side than the name suggests. If you kept your expectations low, you could make a day of it especially if you count the train ride and a meal in downtown Crystal Lake. It's probably a step or two above "just circling around a park".

If paved bike trails aren't too offensive, you could probably catch Metra to either Elgin or Geneva and "hike" the Fox River. The bike trail goes through some forest preserves, but you never truly get out of town. It's developed the whole way. There's no one thing there, but a few places scattered along both sides of the river. (Really the action is between St. Charles and South Elgin, but Metra doesn't go to either of those places.)

The Barrington Metra stop is not ridiculously far from Cuba Marsh, but I do not know how good the trails are there for hiking. I've driven around in that area but never had time to explore the marsh (for shame). It looks like it could be good for birdwatching.

In honesty, you're probably going to have to putter around Google maps on the transit and bicycle settings to see what's near the Metra stations. But Metra and heavy development go hand in hand. You'll probably not ever get away from people, possibly not pavement. On the flip side, a weekend pass on Metra and reasonable expectations can take you to two (or more if you're tricky) destinations on the weekend and still have yourself home for the night.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Lol I am not trying to kill myself. Thanks everyone. After asking around more, I now know and understand why this is not going to work. However, all the posts I have received have informed me of other options. There are lot of places I can hike and take long walks. They are definitely not similar to Devils Lake, but they are still unique and beautiful. I hope I can spend the rest of the the summer/fall visiting these places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago