Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:16 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
These increases seem to happen every few years. Why? Wtf knows. Long term trends clearly show declines.

Of course the US is filled with idiots who only look at the short term. Just look at our economic system.
Really? Across so many cities? I wasn't aware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yeah Fox News and right wing talk radio has been talking about this for the last couple of days. According to them, the common denominator is these cities are all run by democrats or liberals. I think that's a bunch of nonsense. Those cities have always been violent ever since I can remember and I'm sure some have been run by Republicans at least once over the past 50 years and I'm sure the murder rate was still way higher than the national average.
Yeah, that's clearly a silly explanation.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Guns? Each year the number of guns in America increases. The violent crime rate continues to decrease every year but the homicide rate in certain areas of certain cities climbs.

Also, when you have a culture that increasingly puts being successful/respected/looked up to above human life, it's not that surprising. All it takes these days is someone to make a bad comment on facebook and they end up shot to death. I think social media has a big part to play. Young people grow up very detached from real social interaction, and are given a distorted view of human interaction through sites like facebook. People get murdered for not "liking" a person's status. It's ludicrous.

Reposting the link as yours is dead

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/us...us-cities.html

It's overwhelmingly a problem in the black community of America. Even as a very anti-racist far left liberal, I'm starting to get a bit tired of the #blacklivesmatter thing without any mention of issues in their own communities.
Thanks.

Hard to believe the proliferation of guns doesn't play a huge role, but from what I've read there's been no discernible uptick in recent years and it's likely no uptick at all year over year.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:31 AM

577 posts, read 669,608 times
It's weird. I think we'd need to see a few more years of statistics. In general, crime is down massively across the board. Even in the worst Chicago neighborhoods, all types of crime are down as much as half what they were 10 years ago. But then, that would tie in with the theory of a lot of these new murders being the result of petty arguments among friends/family members rather than criminal activities.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
It's weird. I think we'd need to see a few more years of statistics. In general, crime is down massively across the board. Even in the worst Chicago neighborhoods, all types of crime are down as much as half what they were 10 years ago. But then, that would tie in with the theory of a lot of these new murders being the result of petty arguments among friends/family members rather than criminal activities.
Real numbers or proportional? Real numbers are largely attributable to population loss.

Chicago's 50 more himicides is in my view noteworthy. That is a big jump in Chicago. But the huge increases across so many cities are very odd to me.

Likely it is a variety of factors, and we will probably never really know.

Hopefully it goes back down next year and is just an aberration.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:42 AM

577 posts, read 669,608 times
Have all neighborhoods in Chicago seen their populations halved in the past 10 years though? I've looked at a ton of them on here http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/community and they all have the same downward trend in crime numbers, which tallies with overall crime rate in America dropping every year since the early 90s.

• Reported violent crime rate in the U.S. 1990-2013 | Timeline

Old 09-02-2015, 08:17 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Really? Across so many cities? I wasn't aware.
On the top of my head, cities like Baltimore, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, New York City, and Philadelphia are having increases in crime this year from years past. As Vlajos has said that most cities in the country are seeing a long term downward trend and have been for awhile.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:23 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
On the top of my head, cities like Baltimore, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, New York City, and Philadelphia are having increases in crime this year from years past.
The crime rate in NYC in 2015 is roughly 5% lower than in 2014.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-city.pdf

Old 09-02-2015, 08:54 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The crime rate in NYC in 2015 is roughly 5% lower than in 2014.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...en-us-city.pdf
You're right. I was thinking of homicides - 208 YTD for 2015 versus 190 in 2014 (9.5% increase). Rape also increased. Good to see the burglary numbers go down so much.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:48 AM

125 posts, read 124,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I know one thread said that you cannot post about Chicago crime stats so I do not know if I can post this because it is about crime in Chicago but I want to focus on whether the crime rate is exaggerated in Chicago instead of the stats. Mods, I do not know if I am allowed to do this.

But do you think when people talk about Chicago's crime rate it is blown out of proportion or do people have credibility when they talk about how Chicago is so crime ridden?
Crime rates, by definition, are based strictly on actual crime data. The only way they could be exaggerated is if significant numbers of non-existent crimes are being included in the data, which is unlikely.

The exaggeration comes not in the crime rates or data, but in how the media selectively presents (or completely ignores, as is increasingly the case in recent years) the data when it doesn't fit their narrative. For example, the data show
that Chicago in recent years has had a lower number of murders than it has had at any other point in the past half century, and a significantly lower murder rate than many other U.S. cities. The media doesn't exaggerate those rates-- if they did, it would be easy to point out that they are lying-- they just ignore them entirely, because it wouldn't fit their narrative to report them. Their narrative is based on what will attract viewers and sell advertising to maximize profits, because that's how businesses work. Fear sells more advertising than good news does.

So that's where the "exaggeration" comes from, if you want to call it that. For those of us who choose to examine the data rather than the sensationalistic media narrative, there is no exaggeration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago