Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 09:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I'm a woman. There is no sarcasm font, so how would I know you were being sarcastic?

Also, I live in Texas and they would never elect any minority as governor. Since we have moved here, my half-Indian granddaughter has been proselytized and one of my Indian friend's daughter has been told she isn't praying correctly and will go to hell. Now perhaps if they were Christian there would be more acceptance, but then again, people on the Houston forum complain about Sugar Land being too Asian.
I think I tend to forget about how the South can be a bit more "in your face" than the Midwest and other parts of the USA. This sounds rather bothersome and a bit surprising considering what a large, mixed area Houston really is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:48 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I think I tend to forget about how the South can be a bit more "in your face" than the Midwest and other parts of the USA. This sounds rather bothersome and a bit surprising considering what a large, mixed area Houston really is.
I agree that the Houston area is very mixed, but Christians still have this attitude here. I live in a very mixed suburb, but the Evangelicals are a majority in the town and the city council still starts their meetings with a Christian prayer (they use a disclaimer that the prayer is the individual view of the particular council member reciting it)

Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
It is not Racism. More Jealousy.

I know Asians got the higher GPA and SAT which is why they took up 30-40 percent of slots at top schools which leads to a rich lifestyle. But bottom line if it was 50 years ago and Asians had no real presence in Ivy League schools, white, black and spanish students would fill those seats.

My old HS is now 40% Asian. And all the Ivy spots are taken by Asians and the regular kids have to be satisfied going to a lesser college.

If the black, mexican, hindus, heck if red headed kids or if kids with blue eyes all banded together to take every award, entrance to ivy league school and best jobs and houses in town of course folks would be jealous of that group.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Louisiana already has. Bobby Jindal is of Asian descent, you know and he is governor of Louisiana. He is the son of immigrants from India.

http://www.biography.com/people/bobb...41577#synopsis
I think he already knew that..

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 AM

170 posts, read 203,325 times
The oriental guys in this thread need to get a thicker skin.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:49 AM

337 posts, read 405,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post

I know Asians got the higher GPA and SAT which is why they took up 30-40 percent of slots at top schools which leads to a rich lifestyle. But bottom line if it was 50 years ago and Asians had no real presence in Ivy League schools, white, black and spanish students would fill those seats.

My old HS is now 40% Asian. And all the Ivy spots are taken by Asians and the regular kids have to be satisfied going to a lesser college.

If the black, mexican, hindus, heck if red headed kids or if kids with blue eyes all banded together to take every award, entrance to ivy league school and best jobs and houses in town of course folks would be jealous of that group.
Absolutely, as one of the posters was mentioning, in places like Houston the white parents are expressing extreme hatred and jealousy that their kids are getting their @ss handed to them academically and taking all the spots in Universities. There is a lot of entitlement mentality among these people and wouldn't be surprised if they started clamoring for quotas and affirmative action for their children.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Louisiana already has. Bobby Jindal is of Asian descent, you know and he is governor of Louisiana. He is the son of immigrants from India.

http://www.biography.com/people/bobb...41577#synopsis
You noticed, eh?

Now look into the governor of South Carolina...

Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post

Out of the following two categories of folks that are heavily represented at Ivy League institutions, who do you think holds more power (economically & politically) in this country?: Asian-Americans (including Pan Asians ie. Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc. & Southasians ie. Indians, etc.) or Jewish-Americans ?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Out of the following two categories of folks that are heavily represented at Ivy League institutions, who do you think holds more power (economically & politically) in this country?: Asian-Americans (including Pan Asians ie. Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc. & Southasians ie. Indians, etc.) or Jewish-Americans ?
Jewish Americans for now but Asian Americans are catching up fast.

Case in point, how many Jewish American governors do southern states have?

Old 08-06-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You noticed, eh?

Now look into the governor of South Carolina...
Both Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley are converts from Hinduism and Sikhism respectively. Both try and distance themselves from their Indian heritage, as if its something to be ashamed of being Indian.

India is a 5000 year old country with a rich culture and heritage that would put any country to shame. Just because there is a lot of poverty there at this moment in history does not mean it was always materially poor. Anyways, they are doing much better economically now. Sadly, the rednecks will never vote for a non-white who embraces his ancestral heritage and roots and doesn't convert to Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago