Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 AM

9 posts, read 8,909 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are visiting Chicago next week for about six days. This is a very open ended question but are some things to do, places to go, things to see, etc that you think we should do? Right now we are going a Cubs game and possibly White Sox game, but we are open. Your thoughts would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM

431 posts, read 449,417 times
Most Chicagoans go out to eat a lot, and to bars.
IMO the tourist stuff like museums, sears tower, and hancock are top notch.
The architectural boat tour and even the water taxi are pretty cool.

Personally when I visit in the summer, I hang out along the lake, then visit the art institute, and have lunch at some spots I like in Pilsen and Wicker Park. Last time I went to Lincoln Park, which was a place I avoided growing up. It's very nice. I also took my nephew to the new kids park in Millennial Park. It is great if you have kids.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:58 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Six days is a rather long time and, depending on budget, should give you lots of opportunity to do some things that are less common for folks with a narrower window.

If you appreciste architecuture I strongly recommend trying to get to see stuff outside the Loop, from the Robie House in Hyde Park, to the B'hai Temple north of the city to the FLW studio & home in Oak Park that will have you zigzagging across lots of places that folks that stick to the Loop miss out on, and each is accessible with minimal public transit hassles if you plan ahead.

Similarly the whole of Hyde Park, with jewels like UofC's Rockefeller Chaple, Oriental Institute, Musuem of Science and Industry, as well Jackson Park and Promontory Point are often overlooked by folks only here for a short while.

Chicago has a vibrant and accessible independant art scene. From galleries that showcase up and coming talent, to creative theatre at venues that are little more than an empty storefront, to really nice film and video screenings and of course an incredible range of live music you can easily fill weeks of entertainment.

Our wide range of dinning options is similarly something that should be part of anyone's plans. From burgers, hotdogs, tacos, pizza and a world of ethnic options to Michelin star recognized chefs there are few other cities that are worth visting for the eats alone.

The level of professional that is generally reflected in the design of habitats for wildlife at Brookfield Zoo is especially unique in that it is not miles out in the hinterlands, but a 20-odd minute ride on the BNSF and a quick walk through a rather typical suburb. If you head out, you can also stroll around adjacent Riverside for an intersting look at the influence of a true genuis of landscape architecture in Frederick Law Olmstead's layout of the town and it's connection to the meandering DesPlaines River...

Back in Lincoln Park the more formal layout of that free Zoo is a nice contrast to a sort of Victorian sensibility of order, together with the more recent recognition of natural landscapes and climate dependency as showcased at the Notebart development.

Any modern guide, online or from a library, will give you a nearly limitless list of ways to take in the city on the cheap or first class. The shopping, hotels, and people watching along the Magnifient Mile of North Michigan Ave is one of those things that no other city really has an equal experince of -- the unique confluence of history at the Water Tower together with educational institutions like Loyola, and high end retail, hotels, dining and arts from nearby Museum of Contempory Art is something that other cities have in various areas, but nothing squeezed into such a small footprint.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:50 PM

3 posts, read 1,851 times
I would definitely recommend going on an architecture tour, it's a great way to see and learn about the city! You can usually find coupons for them on deal sites like Groupon or something similar.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:11 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB606 View Post
I would definitely recommend going on an architecture tour, it's a great way to see and learn about the city! You can usually find coupons for them on deal sites like Groupon or something similar.
yes, a River AND LAKE TOUR. Some are just down the River. I recommend one in BOTH the Lake and River .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago