Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:23 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...the mats are cute. I've almost been tempted to take a yoga class to deal with my increasingly creaky (and probably repetitive motion worsened...) shoulders and wrists, but I don't want to look like dirty old b*st*rd with everyone in their leggings... I'll stick to places where the staff wears medical scrubs.
LOL - funny. It's supposed to be good. I have some friends who never thought they'd do it but liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Single Women...yoga mats.....

I think I know where I would like to move.

If you like that, then here's your neighborhoods - Gold Coast, River North, Streeterville, Old Town, South Loop, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Bucktown... hmm where else? Maybe parts of the West Loop and the Loop? Increasingly Wicker Park too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I am moving for a 6 month work term, so they are picking the apartments as close to work. However, I may get some say in which one or maybe even suggest an area, so I thought I would do some research. I am very excited to move to Chicago!

I was wondering of loop/river north would be too 'touristy'? I believe I was in the magnificent mile and loop area when I visited for a weekend.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:45 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,838,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma3125 View Post

I am moving for a 6 month work term, so they are picking the apartments as close to work. However, I may get some say in which one or maybe even suggest an area, so I thought I would do some research. I am very excited to move to Chicago!

I was wondering of loop/river north would be too 'touristy'? I believe I was in the magnificent mile and loop area when I visited for a weekend.
First of all, don't live in the Loop - it's mainly tourism and offices. It's boring. The north section is kind of up and coming - between say Michigan Avenue, State Street or Dearborn Street, the river, and maybe Monroe Avenue. It's good because it's close to areas like River North, but it's still boring in and of itself (a few places are good though). If you're going to live close to work, then you should pick either River North, Gold Coast, or Streeterville IMO. And honestly, I think Gold Coast would fit you the best.

Magnificent Mile is on the River North/Streeterville/Gold Coast border depending on how you slice it. Parts of each neighborhood is touristy, but not every part. My part in the Gold Coast for example is not that touristy even though it's just a few blocks from Michigan Avenue. Most of the tourists don't usually go west of Rush Street (unless it's on a small strip of Division) in the Gold Coast.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:26 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,820,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kma3125 View Post

In general, the Loop and River North feel more "touristy" and less of a traditional neighborhood than other Chicago neighborhoods. You find less tree-lined streets, etc., and there are just generally more tourists in the Loop/River North. The apartments in the Loop/River North tend to be more updated and modern than in many farther out neighborhoods.

You mentioned that your work is picking your apartment, but if it were up to you, I would check out Old Town. It's an expensive area, but the apartments there are really nice, there are really nice neighborhood restaurants/stores, and you are in a perfect location. Easy commute to the Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Michigan Ave/Downtown Shopping. In the other direction you are directly south of Lincoln Park. Old Town would be a great location for you if they would place you there.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,031 times
I'll be moving to Chicago in the next two weeks and I'm also 25 and working in the Loop. I just leased an apartment in River North/Gold Coast area of downtown and I couldn't be more excited. While that area gets a "touristy" rap its also extremely close to pretty much everything. Going out on Hubbard St is a short walk or heading up to Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville is a short train ride away. There's also so many shopping options, a Whole Foods, TJs, and Jewel close by and plenty of gym and yoga places to choose from which is also super important to me. Also being a 25 year single female in a new city, it doesn't hurt to be living in a well populated area in terms of safety. It's definitely expensive to live in this area but it seems worth it. Good luck with your move!!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:59 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Old Town would be a great location for you if they would place you there.
Old Town consists of two distinct areas. North of North Avenue, it's a quiet, upscale area of single family homes and small apartment buildings. South of North Avenue, it's kind of honky-tonk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: