Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,097 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Chicago for 2.5 years and have always lived with anywhere from 1-3 roommates at a time. However, my current sublease ends at the end of Sept and this time around I'm ready to go solo and sign a long-term lease for a studio apartment. My budget is maybe 1.2k tops, including utilities (so not including internet or heat or w/e). I'm looking for something that offers an easy commute to the River North area.

Anyway, what I've basically run into is that I'll find apartments that look promising but then start doing research on the management company and stumble upon some pretty horrid yelp reviews. Planned Property Management, BJB Properties, and Group Fox seem to be the main ones I keep running into. I've always preferred renting in smaller buildings with more accessible management but I know that's more of a 2-3+ bedroom unit type of thing.

My question is basically: how do I find a studio apartment on the north side (south of Irving Park) while avoiding places that have shady management, hidden fees, underlying functionality issues, infestations, and/or similar? I'd rather agree to a higher rent upfront and not be met with hidden fees/broken stuff.

Should I go through a realtor? I'm concerned that my modest budget won't be worth a decent realtor's time of day.

Does anyone here have recommendations regarding certain management companies and/or buildings that don't suck?

Up until now, I've been using Craigslist, The Chicago Reader, and Domu and am wondering if there's a less sucky way to do this. I don't move until Oct 1st but I want to nail down a good place fairly early so I don't have to rush around and possibly compromise towards the end of Sept.

Thanks for any help.

tl;dr - the bolded parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:01 PM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel27 View Post
I've lived in Chicago for 2.5 years and have always lived with anywhere from 1-3 roommates at a time. However, my current sublease ends at the end of Sept and this time around I'm ready to go solo and sign a long-term lease for a studio apartment. My budget is maybe 1.2k tops, including utilities (so not including internet or heat or w/e). I'm looking for something that offers an easy commute to the River North area.

Anyway, what I've basically run into is that I'll find apartments that look promising but then start doing research on the management company and stumble upon some pretty horrid yelp reviews. Planned Property Management, BJB Properties, and Group Fox seem to be the main ones I keep running into. I've always preferred renting in smaller buildings with more accessible management but I know that's more of a 2-3+ bedroom unit type of thing.

My question is basically: how do I find a studio apartment on the north side (south of Irving Park) while avoiding places that have shady management, hidden fees, underlying functionality issues, infestations, and/or similar? I'd rather agree to a higher rent upfront and not be met with hidden fees/broken stuff.

Should I go through a realtor? I'm concerned that my modest budget won't be worth a decent realtor's time of day.

Does anyone here have recommendations regarding certain management companies and/or buildings that don't suck?

Up until now, I've been using Craigslist, The Chicago Reader, and Domu and am wondering if there's a less sucky way to do this. I don't move until Oct 1st but I want to nail down a good place fairly early so I don't have to rush around and possibly compromise towards the end of Sept.

Thanks for any help.

tl;dr - the bolded parts
You should be able to find an apartment with an individual landlord as opposed to a management company fairly easily using the websites you mentioned. It would also help to walk around the neighborhood you like and target specific properties. You should find advertisements for 3-6 unit buildings posted on the fence of the building.

I would not put too much stock into Yelp reviews. Those are usually the complainer types of people who exaggerate simple problems of their own creation.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:25 PM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Check out 3550 N Lakeshore Drive and 3600 N Lakeshore Drive. Those are going to be condo's owned by someone but there is a full time on staff building engineer who will fix anything that is urgent. Small stuff like a broken light fixture would have to be addressed by your landlord though. There are also a ton of studios in both buildings that go for anywhere from $1,100 to $1,300.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:12 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
You should be able to find an apartment with an individual landlord as opposed to a management company fairly easily using the websites you mentioned. It would also help to walk around the neighborhood you like and target specific properties. You should find advertisements for 3-6 unit buildings posted on the fence of the building.
This is the best way to find an apartment in Chicago. Individual landlords > management companies. Really no reason to go with a management company in Chicago, unless you have "new age" requirements.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM

38 posts, read 60,144 times
The best way is to drive around neighborhoods and look for for rent signs.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:34 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
City renters have such protections under Chicago landlord-tenant ordinances and the courts are so pro-tenant that you basically have nothing to worry about if you have a good lease contract, walk-though checklist with pictures, and payment receipts...

Old 08-19-2015, 05:23 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Yelp is the worst for reviews. Ignore in general.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yelp is the worst for reviews. Ignore in general.
Property management reviews anywhere tend to be overwhelmingly negative. When nothing goes wrong in your day-to-day affairs, you're not liable to write a glowing review that says "there were no roaches in my apartment. Hooray!" It's when something doesn't go according to plan that people are likely to take to the internet to air their grievances.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 AM

636 posts, read 611,750 times
It's not uncommon for businesses to post "fake" positive reviews on yelp though.

All I can say is, if you come across a building managed by Quality Management & Rentals, do yourself a favor and walk away.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
It's not uncommon for businesses to post "fake" positive reviews on yelp though.

All I can say is, if you come across a building managed by Quality Management & Rentals, do yourself a favor and walk away.
It's also pretty easy to detect when a business is trying to stack itself with fake reviews, namely when they have a bunch of effusive 5-star reviews from people with no more than 2 or 3 reviews, sometimes within days of each other. Yelp has gotten pretty good at detecting these reviews and filtering them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: