Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I haven't had a rent increase since I've moved into this apartment a few years ago. The landlord sends me an email telling me "how great of a tenant I am" and then proceeds to tell me that basically the rent is going up by $25 a month if I renew the lease. I guess the better tenant I am, the more I pay. Do other renters on here typically get rent increases every year? Just curious. I don't want to be an *** and tell this guy I'm moving unless the rent stays the same but I may just do that. Maybe it's time to buy a condo. Oh wait ... property taxes.
Depends on where you live. If you live in one of the areas with a lot of bars/restaurants like downtown, Lincoln Park, etc then you should expect that. $25/month is not bad at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Uh, I've never heard of a landlord who drops rent by the year. In every place I've lived, the rent goes up, not down, every year. Ever heard of inflation?
I actually got an $80/month drop in rent one year at my current building, though the following year it was raised, but still lower than it was two years prior. By the end of it though, somehow, i was paying $20/month less than when i first moved there. Then the building was sold to a non-family company and the rent was raised for everyone to even out with the market. The company/family who owned it before were incredibly nice, but I wouldn't call them great business people in lowering rent when the prices in my neighborhood were increasing.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,998 times
I get that his costs are probably rising too. I just know that if he had to he would rather charge me the same then find another tenant. Especially since I've always paid my rent early and don't ever cause any problems. I'm thinking about telling him that I'm not happy about the rent increase and that combined with the ongoing issues I'm having with the neighbor downstairs that I'll have to think about it.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:03 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,989,184 times
$25 is nothing. He could probably get more from a new tenant.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:13 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
I haven't had a rent increase since I've moved into this apartment a few years ago. The landlord sends me an email telling me "how great of a tenant I am" and then proceeds to tell me that basically the rent is going up by $25 a month if I renew the lease. I guess the better tenant I am, the more I pay. Do other renters on here typically get rent increases every year? Just curious. I don't want to be an *** and tell this guy I'm moving unless the rent stays the same but I may just do that. Maybe it's time to buy a condo. Oh wait ... property taxes.
Quote:
I get that his costs are probably rising too. I just know that if he had to he would rather charge me the same then find another tenant. Especially since I've always paid my rent early and don't ever cause any problems. I'm thinking about telling him that I'm not happy about the rent increase and that combined with the ongoing issues I'm having with the neighbor downstairs that I'll have to think about it.
Your rent is going up $25 a month -- $300 a year!! -- after several years of living in the same place at the same rate ... and you are COMPLAINING? Seriously?

I would bet it would cost you more than $300 to move, when you add up all the expenses.

You're being, well, a jerk.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
$25 is nothing. He could probably get more from a new tenant.
This. The $300 a year it is going up may not even cover the LL's increased costs. In many places, rents are going up much more in absolute terms and as a percentage of the rent.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:36 AM

498 posts, read 724,621 times
Quote:
Lol, good luck buddy

Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Property taxes have gone up, especially if you're in a hot area. And, we're probably going to get boned next year too - so 'bend over, here they come.'

Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
How can you be upset about one measly $25/month increase after a "few years"? Has your salary not increased once in 5 years? Has the price of every other thing on the shelves not increased in 5 years?

Your landlord is being exceedingly reasonable.

and if the neighborhood has become more desirable, then they are going to match what the market can bear. If you want to lock in your rates, then buy a house.

Quote:
there are plenty of good tenants out there who pay rent on time and dont cause problems (kind of a bare minimum), many of whom will pay what they are asking. its not a charity, they have bills to pay like anyone else.

if youre truly not happy then move. be prepared to pay more than $300 to do so though. and be prepared to have a new landlord who may not be so generous as to only raise your rent once every 5 years.

Last edited by via chicago; 09-10-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 PM

You're complaining about a $25 jump in rent...come on..and it doesn't matter if you were always on time. That's not grounds for your landlord making an exception about you and not raising rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: