Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:55 AM

98 posts, read 345,095 times

Advertisements

Thank you all very much. Cheteverett sums it up w/ "Your are left with a matrix of options that all need to be pursued simultaneously, with a clock ticking on getting Jr. into school AND the question of "we have ONE, can we do this with MORE"???As of now our plan is to try to spend a 2-3 more years in Lakeview before we sell. Hopefully by that time, we can make enough gain on the sale of our home to buy a house in a cheaper area of the city/near suburb and afford to give our child a real education. That would require us to find childcare next year for 800/mo or less....but that is another thread.As for Lakeview High School, I am suprised to learn just how bad it is. Only about half go to college and some 75% or more are from low income families. I've always wondered if that will change in the next 15 years as the area has seen much improvement, with many high income families in the neighborhood. I do think more families will begin raising thier children in the city, I think many of these new families in their starter homes are stretched thin enough where 20k/year for private HS is not an option, which leads me to the conclusion that CPS could radically change over the next decade or two in Lakeview, or in other gentrifying/gentrified areas for that matter.A colleague of mine insn't so enthusiastic where he states CPS will always be bad where any student can go to any school. I suppose I have much more to learn about CPS.By the way, my DW is US citizen of 100% Mexican descent. I wonder if that will help with the admissions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr aztec View Post
Thank you all very much. Cheteverett sums it up w/ "Your are left with a matrix of options that all need to be pursued simultaneously, with a clock ticking on getting Jr. into school AND the question of "we have ONE, can we do this with MORE"???As of now our plan is to try to spend a 2-3 more years in Lakeview before we sell. Hopefully by that time, we can make enough gain on the sale of our home to buy a house in a cheaper area of the city/near suburb and afford to give our child a real education. That would require us to find childcare next year for 800/mo or less....but that is another thread.As for Lakeview High School, I am suprised to learn just how bad it is. Only about half go to college and some 75% or more are from low income families. I've always wondered if that will change in the next 15 years as the area has seen much improvement, with many high income families in the neighborhood. I do think more families will begin raising thier children in the city, I think many of these new families in their starter homes are stretched thin enough where 20k/year for private HS is not an option, which leads me to the conclusion that CPS could radically change over the next decade or two in Lakeview, or in other gentrifying/gentrified areas for that matter.A colleague of mine insn't so enthusiastic where he states CPS will always be bad where any student can go to any school. I suppose I have much more to learn about CPS.By the way, my DW is US citizen of 100% Mexican descent. I wonder if that will help with the admissions.....
Lakeview High School draws from Uptown--which has a lot of young toughs--and other parts of the city. I don't think there are very many Lakeview residents actually using that school anymore.

Good luck with that daycare budget. I know a lot of people in the city with young children, and NONE of them are paying that little. I do know one Puerto Rican guy paying $700 a month in Logan Square, but he's connected to that whole community pretty well--and his child is three years old (which often drops the price considerably from the infant stage).

Old 06-11-2008, 01:36 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,009 times
To the OP:

Almost everyone I know is staying in the city to raise families. In fact people seem almost offended when you ask if you are going to leave. I live in the Lincoln Square/North Center area and it's an unbelievable area for small children. You can walk to great parks (Welles and Winnemac) and restaurants all over the Lincoln Square and North Center areas. The parks are brimming with small children and there is an incredible community feel. My ds plays with a bunch of neighborhood kids every day. In your price range, a 2-3 bed condo in Lincoln Square/West Lincoln Square area is in the $400k range. I can't recommend this neighborhood enough. Re: public schools, look for places in Waters, Coonley, Bell (probably harder to find) and Ravenswood areas.

We plan to move to Oak Park and can't believe we are leaving the best neighborhood in the world.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:20 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
So why ya' leaving?

Old 06-11-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
So why ya' leaving?
I was wondering the same thing... I too would love to raise my kids in Lincoln Square or North Center, but I can't afford a house there along with private schools. Several co-workers of mine live in those areas and are raising kids, but they all bought their houses ten years ago. We will probalby have to settle for a large condo if we decide to live there.

Oak Park offers savings in schools (the property taxes are high, but not high enough to outweigh private school tuition) and housing (you can still buy a decent house in Oak Park for under $500K). And the commute and urban lifestyle aren't significantly different from that in Lincoln Square. Actually, the commute from Oak Park is shorter for most people.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:33 PM

374 posts, read 1,036,009 times
I am having twins. And I can't fit all three boys. I am in the minority though, amongst my friends.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Good luck on the move. And the kids. I agree that a bigger place ought to be more affordable/common in the 'burbs.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
i Am Having Twins. And I Can't Fit All Three Boys. I Am In The Minority Though, Amongst My Friends.
Congratulations!

Old 06-13-2008, 11:34 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrakindra View Post
I am having twins. And I can't fit all three boys. I am in the minority though, amongst my friends.
Fabulous! Do what you have to do and the best of everything to you!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Did anyone see this article in the Tribune this past weekend about raising kids in the city? I posed it in another thread, but it really belongs under this topic.

Urban families building city experience for kids -- chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago