Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,536 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My friend and I are looking to move to Chicago next summer/fall 2016. We're both young professionals in our mid-20s, and will be moving from a much, much smaller city. We would like to be somewhere where we'll be able to feel safe at night, and me being a female, will feel safe on nights when my friend isn't home. We're both into artsy/creative stuff- music, writing, art, but could also really appreciate somewhere less artsy as long as there's a lot of history or architecture and/or any type of unique character. Bars and restaurants would be nice but definitely not a deal breaker. I'm a fan of small shops and thrift stores, and my friend loves sports/athletic events, but again, not a deal breaker.

Anyway, we're looking for somewhere that we will have 2 bedrooms and enough living space for a dog and a cat, preferably above 750 square feet. Is something like this even heard of for under $1000 a month in a safe neighborhood? I think we'd prefer northern neighborhoods, but I don't think I'll have much luck there for my price range. I've been looking into Andersonville, but it's a little bit too much there from what I've seen, and then outside of that area, I've glanced at Pilsen.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 01:27 PM

498 posts, read 724,367 times
Pilsen and Bridgeport

Old 09-27-2015, 03:15 PM

577 posts, read 669,608 times
Logan Square

Old 09-27-2015, 03:42 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times
Be careful of some 2 bedroom listings though, we signed a lease from AZ marketed as a 2 bedroom and while it was an amazing unit, I wouldn't have classified the 2nd bedroom as being able to fit anything more than a twin bed and nightstand. This was a shock coming from Phoenix because all the rooms in Phoenix are large. That isn't the case here always -- just to give you the heads up. Bedrooms can be tiny.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Pilsen

Old 09-27-2015, 04:53 PM

211 posts, read 211,913 times
I've been looking for relatively "safe" areas (with quotes because big cities are never 100 % crime-free or devoid of danger) in Chicago to move to, and although I have seen plenty of awesome-looking deals below 1k a month, almost all of them are either one-bedrooms or studios.
I wish you the best of luck in your search and in your move to the city!

Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 AM

125 posts, read 124,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Pilsen and Bridgeport
Yep, those were the two I was going to suggest, also. A few years ago I'd have said Logan Square, but these days I think it would be pretty tough to get a place that size for that price there unless it is run down, maybe a basement/garden unit, and really far west in the neighborhood (not near the train).

The far outer North, Northwest, and Southwest neighborhoods might work, too, but at that point you really may as well be in the suburbs, IMO.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 PM

230 posts, read 385,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey_Jay633 View Post
Hello!

My friend and I are looking to move to Chicago next summer/fall 2016. We're both young professionals in our mid-20s, and will be moving from a much, much smaller city. We would like to be somewhere where we'll be able to feel safe at night, and me being a female, will feel safe on nights when my friend isn't home. We're both into artsy/creative stuff- music, writing, art, but could also really appreciate somewhere less artsy as long as there's a lot of history or architecture and/or any type of unique character. Bars and restaurants would be nice but definitely not a deal breaker. I'm a fan of small shops and thrift stores, and my friend loves sports/athletic events, but again, not a deal breaker.

Anyway, we're looking for somewhere that we will have 2 bedrooms and enough living space for a dog and a cat, preferably above 750 square feet. Is something like this even heard of for under $1000 a month in a safe neighborhood? I think we'd prefer northern neighborhoods, but I don't think I'll have much luck there for my price range. I've been looking into Andersonville, but it's a little bit too much there from what I've seen, and then outside of that area, I've glanced at Pilsen.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
Hermosa.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Pilsen or Bridgeport - nowhere is 100% safe though since it's a big city and something could happen anywhere. It's just that some areas have much lower odds than others of it happening. If I were huge into the art scene, I'd pick Pilsen over Bridgeport though. There are a lot of studios and some galleries in that area, though there are in some parts of Bridgeport - the scene is more well known in Pilsen though IMO.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:55 PM

34 posts, read 38,250 times
Hyde Park is probably the safest qualifying neighborhood, followed by Pilsen, Bridgeport, Aondale, and Rogers Park
Rental Listings - 337 Rentals | Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: