Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:08 AM

211 posts, read 211,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Maybe even volunteer, if you have time, for gay or gay-friendly organizations.
That is a great idea indeed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
First of all, thanks in advance for all your help.
I will be moving to Chicago soon, and I am interested in knowing what you guys and gals recommend for a gay man in his forties who'd like to make friends and have things to do in the city. I am genuinely interested in making friends (this is not about sex or even romance); in order to start building a circle of friends, where would one go? I know, sounds kinda pathetic, right?

No, seriously, it can't hurt to ask.

Not crazy about clubs or bars (even in my twenties I was never fond of them). But besides those, where else would gay men and women (and their gay-friendly allies) meet to make friends and socialize?

Thanks!
Another suggestion I can offer besides Meetup/Meet In, is taking a class somewhere, like Second City or Old Town School of Folk music. I've met a lot of really great people through those organizations. Overall I've found Chicago to be an easy place to meet people and make friends, so don't be intimidated!
Good luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 05:02 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall18 View Post
Lots of older gay people (both men and women) hang out at various places in Edgewater/Andersonville. You might want to check that area out.
More gay guys in E. Lakeview - "Boystown" area and lots of bars, shops, places to hang out.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Another suggestion I can offer besides Meetup/Meet In, is taking a class somewhere, like Second City or Old Town School of Folk music. I've met a lot of really great people through those organizations. Overall I've found Chicago to be an easy place to meet people and make friends, so don't be intimidated!
Good luck!
Another fantastic idea; thanks a lot! I've always wanted to take an acting class (not because of any acting aspirations, but because I think those skills could come in handy when I substitute teach!).
I also would like to learn another language.

Thanks for wishing me luck!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
More gay guys in E. Lakeview - "Boystown" area and lots of bars, shops, places to hang out.
I may not care about bars, but I can certainly appreciate Boystown's other gay-friendly attractions, like the Center on Halsted and some of the cool places to shop like Boystown T’s and Collectibles (formerly "Gaymart").

Thanks!!

Old 10-01-2015, 09:22 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
The biggest LGBT areas of the city are Boystown, Rogers Park, Edgewater, and Andersonville. However, there's a lot in many parts of the city. It's not like it's just centered in one area. Downtown for example might only have a few gay bars, but there's still a good presence I think. I have a number of gay friends in their upper 30s and lower 40s who live in Gold Coast and River North, amongst other areas like the ones already mentioned. I have a few friends who have used Grindr as a way to make friends - of course they were on it for dates, but they ended up with really good friends.

And in general just meeting anybody of course something that's centered around a common interest will almost always be better than a bar. There's tons of things to do in the city besides drinking

Old 10-02-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The biggest LGBT areas of the city are Boystown, Rogers Park, Edgewater, and Andersonville. However, there's a lot in many parts of the city. It's not like it's just centered in one area. Downtown for example might only have a few gay bars, but there's still a good presence I think. I have a number of gay friends in their upper 30s and lower 40s who live in Gold Coast and River North, amongst other areas like the ones already mentioned.

And in general just meeting anybody of course something that's centered around a common interest will almost always be better than a bar. There's tons of things to do in the city besides drinking
Thanks a lot!

Old 10-03-2015, 12:27 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I used social media like adam4adam and have had much luck in meeting high quality people. I've known some to have luck meeting people at "special interest" classes. Try some of the cooking classes at like Whole Foods and farmers markets are usual good too.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I used social media like adam4adam and have had much luck in meeting high quality people. I've known some to have luck meeting people at "special interest" classes. Try some of the cooking classes at like Whole Foods and farmers markets are usual good too.
Question: isn't Adam for Adam for casual sex? I could swear I've heard a friend mention it and say it's a hook-up place...

The cooking class idea is awesome! Thanks!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Question: isn't Adam for Adam for casual sex? I could swear I've heard a friend mention it and say it's a hook-up place...

The cooking class idea is awesome! Thanks!
It depends on how you word your posts. Say exactly what you are looking for and see what happens. It worked for me along BGC live. Though, I have not had the same luck in St. Louis over the past year and a half.

Cooking is a common hobbie of many singles gay or straight. It isnt expensive but you do meet a lot of young professionals.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:20 PM

14 posts, read 21,531 times
I agree with Bostonguy1960 here. Do some volunteer stuff in the community and you'll meet others that are like minded, sexuality aside. I would think there are online communities for gay men in the area too (maybe Facebook group or something if you're on there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: