Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 10:29 AM

30 posts, read 201,166 times

Advertisements

Hello all - I'm sorry to start a new thread, I was going to hop on board another, but most are closed, here's the information to help guide me, and where my family and I need to go:

We are originally from Illinois, me from Carpentersville, my husband from the South Side of Chicago, he attended St. Rita Catholic School. My husband is interviewing for a position in downtown Chicago. We are completely flexible in where to live. We have 2 boys, soon to be 11 and in 5th grade, and a 15 year old freshman in high school. Our eldest LOVES JROTC, he is also in Marching Band, but has stated that he doesn't care where he goes as long as they have JROTC. Our youngest is our academic little man, reader, mathematician, and football player (he has shown interest in JROTC and marching band, but only because his big brother loves them so much). We are mutts - Caucasian with Italian, Irish, German, Polish, Czech, and God only knows what else in our blood line. My boys and husband have a darker olive skin while I am whiter than white (I know, I know, my more diverse friends tease me )

I have been looking at Lincoln Park High School (2001 N Orchard St, Chicago) - Lake View High School (4015 N Ashland Ave, Chicago) - Air Force Academy on (330 S. Wells, Chicago) - Hyde Park Academy High School (6220 S Stony Island Ave, Chicago) They all have JROTC.

My family is very excited at this new journey, and need to know which area is best with our limited financial flexibility: We've recently completed a chapter 13, had lost our home in Illinois in 2009, went through that rollercoaster, and will be utilizing my husband's VA loan - still, we're looking at homes in the $225,000 price range or lower - preferably with a yard as we have 2 dogs.

I will be returning to school myself to finish my degree, my husband is hoping to rejoin the Illinois Brass Band and to tutor music students after he completes his daytime obligations.

I hope I've covered our bases... if anyone knows of another high school that offers JROTC that's relatively close (20 mile radius) of downtown Chicago, I'd really prefer my husband not make the Fox River Grove to Downtown Chicago commute again, eleven years of that was enough!!

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:42 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Where are you getting your info from ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbrightness View Post
Hello all - I'm sorry to start a new thread, I was going to hop on board another, but most are closed, here's the information to help guide me, and where my family and I need to go:

We are originally from Illinois, me from Carpentersville, my husband from the South Side of Chicago, he attended St. Rita Catholic School. My husband is interviewing for a position in downtown Chicago. We are completely flexible in where to live. We have 2 boys, soon to be 11 and in 5th grade, and a 15 year old freshman in high school. Our eldest LOVES JROTC, he is also in Marching Band, but has stated that he doesn't care where he goes as long as they have JROTC. Our youngest is our academic little man, reader, mathematician, and football player (he has shown interest in JROTC and marching band, but only because his big brother loves them so much). We are mutts - Caucasian with Italian, Irish, German, Polish, Czech, and God only knows what else in our blood line. My boys and husband have a darker olive skin while I am whiter than white (I know, I know, my more diverse friends tease me )

I have been looking at Lincoln Park High School (2001 N Orchard St, Chicago) - Lake View High School (4015 N Ashland Ave, Chicago) - Air Force Academy on (330 S. Wells, Chicago) - Hyde Park Academy High School (6220 S Stony Island Ave, Chicago) They all have JROTC.

My family is very excited at this new journey, and need to know which area is best with our limited financial flexibility: We've recently completed a chapter 13, had lost our home in Illinois in 2009, went through that rollercoaster, and will be utilizing my husband's VA loan - still, we're looking at homes in the $225,000 price range or lower - preferably with a yard as we have 2 dogs.

I will be returning to school myself to finish my degree, my husband is hoping to rejoin the Illinois Brass Band and to tutor music students after he completes his daytime obligations.

I hope I've covered our bases... if anyone knows of another high school that offers JROTC that's relatively close (20 mile radius) of downtown Chicago, I'd really prefer my husband not make the Fox River Grove to Downtown Chicago commute again, eleven years of that was enough!!

Thank you in advance for any advice!

There is a JROTC site that lists the following schools in Illinois as being part of the program:
https://sites.google.com/a/usarmyjro...edirects=0&d=1

MATTOON SENIOR HS 2521 WALNUT AVENUE MATTOON
STEINMETZ HS 3030 N MOBILE AVENUE CHICAGO
DOUGLAS CAMPUS 543 WALLER AVENUE CHICAGO
SENN METRO ACADEMY 5900 N GLENWOOD AVE CHICAGO
JAMES H BOWEN HS 2710 E 89TH STREET CHICAGO
PEKIN COMMUNITY HS 320 STADIUM DR PEKIN
WAUKEGAN EAST HS 2325 BROOKSIDE AVENUE WAUKEGAN
FARRAGUT CAREER ACAD HS 2345 S CRISTIANA AVENUE CHICAGO
DUNBAR VOCATIONAL HS 3000 S MARTIN LUTHER KING DR CHICAGO
MARMION ACADEMY 1000 BUTTERFIELD RD AURORA *
GAGE PARK HS 5630 S ROCKWELL ST CHICAGO
PHOENIX MILITARY ACADEMY 145 S CAMBPELL ST CHICAGO
WELLS CAREER ACADEMY HS 936 N ASHLAND AVENUE CHICAGO
LINCOLN PARK HS 2001 ORCHARD ST MALL CHICAGO
CHICAGO VOCATIONAL HS 2100 E 87TH STREET CHICAGO
KELVYN PARK HS 4343 W WRIGHTWOOD AVENUE CHICAGO
MORGAN PARK HS 1744 W PRYOR AVENUE CHICAGO
TILDEN HS 4747 S UNION AVENUE CHICAGO
HARLAN COMM ACADEMY 9652 S MICHIGAN AVE CHICAGO
CHICAGO MILITARY ACADEMY BRONZEVILLE 3519 S GILES AVE CHICAGO
JOLIET CENTRAL HS 201 E JEFFERSON STREET JOLIET
MANLEY HS 2935 W POLK STREET CHICAGO
MANUAL HS 811 SOUTH GRISWALD ST PEORIA
CARL SCHURZ HS 3601 MILWAUKEE AVENUE CHICAGO
HIRSCH METRO HS 7740 S INGLESIDE AVENUE CHICAGO
CARVER MILITARY ACADEMY 13100 S DOTY WEST AVE RIVERDALE
JOLIET WEST HS 401 N LARKIN JOLIET
SOUTH SHORE HS 7529 S CONSTANCE AVENUE CHICAGO
LINDBLOM TECH HS 6130 S WOLCOTT AVENUE CHICAGO
CHARLES PROSSER 2148 NORTH LONG CHICAGO
AUBURN HS 5110 AUBURN STREET ROCKFORD
LANE TECH HS 2501 W ADDISON STREET CHICAGO
HARPER HS 6520 S WOOD ST CHICAGO
FENGER HS 11220 S WALLACE STREET CHICAGO
CAHOKIA HS 800 RANGE LANE EAST SAINT LOUIS
ENGLEWOOD HS 6201 S STEWART AVE CHICAGO
EAST RICHLAND HS 1200 EAST LAUREL OLNEY
HUBBARD HS 6200 S HAMLIN AVENUE CHICAGO
HYDE PARK CAREER ACADEMY 6220 STONY ISLAND AVENUE CHICAGO
LAKE VIEW HS 4015 W ASHLAND AVENUE CHICAGO
ROOSEVELT HS 3436 W WILSON AVENUE CHICAGO
FOREMAN HS 3235 N LECLAIRE AVENUE CHICAGO
ROBERTO CLEMENTE HS 1147 N WESTERN AVENUE CHICAGO
ROGER C SULLIVAN HS 6631 N BOSWORTH AVE CHICAGO
SPRY COMMUNITY LINKS HS 2400 S MARSHALL BLVD CHICAGO
JOHN MARSHALL METROPOLITAN HS 3250 W ADAMS ST CHICAGO
DANVILLE HIGH SCHOOL 516 N JACKSON ST DANVILLE

* = Private

The vast majority of these CPS schools are performing far below state norms.
In all honesty, given the miserable results of many of these schools, it would almost certainly be a mistake to do other than reassess. The especially dismal performance of Hyde Park Career Academy, 95.2% low income and 99.0% African American is worth ruling out -- HYDE PARK ACADEMY HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile A shockingly large 81.2% failed to meet standards. Even the much less economically disadvantaged Lake View High still has a solid majority of students, 57.5% failed to meet the standards. Air Force Academy High similarly has a depressingly large 60.9% of students fail to meet standards.

LAKE VIEW HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile

AIR FORCE ACAD HIGH SCHOOL: School Profile

I really doubt you will find any detached homes inside the attendance area for Lincoln Park High School that are within your budget. Here is a 3br condo in a courtyard building that is actually a good value for the area, though it probably would not be ideal with two boys and two dogs. https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/27.../home/12575854

This townhouse is not really all that much better suited to your needs and it is about double your budget -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/22.../home/12804810

Perhaps Joliet West is a better option. The performance data is a bit better than Lake View, with a slim majority failing to meet standards -- 51.9% Metra service might be an option. There are homes in the attendance area that might better suit your needs closer to your budget (though you'll need to budget for taxes that are already over 3% of the asking price per year...) -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/Joliet/120.../home/23310863

Last edited by chet everett; 09-28-2015 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago