Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 05:57 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,446,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
if syrian immigrants (and others like them) could come to Chicago and the city developed a program to steer them into the underperforming parts of the city (sections of the south and west side) and produced the social programs that would allow this to be implemented, we could help revive areas of Chicago that were long dead.
I'm pretty sure that would be unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:29 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I'm pretty sure that would be unethical.
Why would it be unethical? You all are thinking like the privileged Americans you are (totally not surprising) I'm sure there are plenty of refugees who would welcome the opportunity to start a new life in a "bombed out" American city.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,828,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Why would it be unethical? You all are thinking like the privileged Americans you are (totally not surprising) I'm sure there are plenty of refugees who would welcome the opportunity to start a new life in a "bombed out" American city.
i'm wondering the same. i can't think of anything unethical in my suggestion. i made it clear i was not suggesting that residents would be removed (and definitely not that they should)….so where exactly is my unethical lapse here?

Old 10-01-2015, 08:58 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
There would also be plenty more who wouldn't even bother applying for asylum in the US (well, Chicago's South and West Sides specifically) and instead continue to try and get to places like Germany and Sweden. Why go from one literally bombed out country to a figuratively bombed out and dangerous neighborhood? Find them a rundown, but still relatively safe, neighborhood, and it might be a bit different.

If it was just about making it to another country, then we wouldn't see a lot of the mess that's currently going on in Europe and various EU countries. These refugees seem to be well informed about what countries have to offer them versus other ones.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 AM

577 posts, read 669,560 times
Even the most dangerous neighborhood in Chicago isn't close to being as dangerous as Syria is right now. Over 200,000 people have been killed there in the past 4 years of civil war alone, not to mention the people being slaughtered and captured as sex slaves by ISIS. Chicago has had 1% of that number. Also, more then half of the deaths are civilians just going about their daily lives, thousands of them small children. Even in the worst Chicago neighborhoods it's very rare for random civilians to be killed. You're not going to walk out of your front door in West Garfield Park and see a school bombed with everyone inside killed, piles of burned babies, 50 heads on spikes in the middle of the street and people hanging from their intestines from a tree. The most that's going to happen to a Syrian immigrant is a possible stray bullet hitting them if they're really unlucky.

Germany might be a better option but relatively speaking it's not going to matter that much to them.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:34 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
Germany might be a better option but relatively speaking it's not going to matter that much to them.
Depends where we take them from. The ones too poor to be smuggled into Europe who are in camps in Lebanon? Sure, they'd probably be happy.

The ones that had the money to make it to Europe either due to personal reasons, working, selling their belongings, etc, not a chance. That's why we're currently seeing them bouncing from country to country, all of which are vastly better off than Syria, until they make it to the specific countries they want to go to.

In that case I guess it comes down to where would we get our refugees.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM

577 posts, read 669,560 times
I think most would be eager to get to America. Not because America is better, but because it's generally viewed as one of the most desirable places to live (regardless of the reality) and it one of the best countries in the world to get rich from nothing. They might be disappointed when they arrive and find themselves in a bit of a grim little neighborhood, but they're not going to know that beforehand, and they can always try to work their way to something better. Being granted a visa for America alone is like winning the lottery for some. Also, at least Chicago is pretty multicultural. Heaven help any of them that get sent to rural Alabama.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
I think if I was a Syrian refugee, Sweden would look just fine to me..

Old 10-01-2015, 10:55 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default There are well known feelings of disunity even among those in Sweden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I think if I was a Syrian refugee, Sweden would look just fine to me..
If you've kept up with the news about other ethnic disharmony you might realize that no place is that looks as glorious as the happy talkers make it out to be -- Swedish MP Says Jews Aren't True Swedes - Jewish World - News - Arutz Sheva

Old 10-01-2015, 11:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you've kept up with the news about other ethnic disharmony you might realize that no place is that looks as glorious as the happy talkers make it out to be -- Swedish MP Says Jews Aren't True Swedes - Jewish World - News - Arutz Sheva
Next thing you know, you'll be telling Syrian refugees to go back to Syria, and avoid Chicago, because of "pension deficits". The look on their disbelieving faces would be priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago