Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 12:48 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,387,641 times

Advertisements

What's really funny about a lot of the out of towners that point out Chicago's crime rate is that Chicago has posher / tonier areas than where a lot of them are from. Many of them fail to realize that Chicago is truly a tale of two or even three cities rolled up into one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 01:00 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,202,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
What's really funny about a lot of the out of towners that point out Chicago's crime rate is that Chicago has posher / tonier areas than where a lot of them are from. Many of them fail to realize that Chicago is truly a tale of two or even three cities rolled up into one.
That's true, but crime is a MUCH bigger deal for most people than wealth or poverty. Wealth is relative, so if most of your neighbors are like you, you don't really care whether people you've never met have way more than you. However if your car is stolen or you get shot walking down the street then it's time to get out of Dodge.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:05 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,249,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I seriously doubt that outsiders think that Chicago is completely uniform in terms of crime and socioeconomics. Has there ever been such a city in the history of humanity? Probably not.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
I like Chicago wants and all, but when you are done defending the City, try reading why others think these things.

CNN: 'Chiraq': Spike Lee film title likens Chicago to Iraq? - CNN.com

How Chicago Became Chiraq:
How Chicago Became

Why is Chicago America's Mass-Shooting Capital:
America

The impossible task is to make it unfriendly to thugs, drugs, gangs, and killers.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:47 PM

410 posts, read 488,369 times
Pretty excited about it. It's an embarrassment to the city and to the communities, but I think it's the good kind. If it's anywhere near accurate it can shine a light on the sad culture that plagues certain SS neighborhoods - and that light is hard to remove.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,257,715 times
I do not think the movie will have much impact on those who the Rapper scene has no interest or Gang Lords or even this side of what is far mostly.... sadly a African-American cultural stigma as the Italian Ethnic Group had when Chicago the Mafia Lords were a factor of the day. Chicago's Capone era was the Poster boy and got the Rap then..... pun intended.

With Crime on the rise noted in many Big cities this year in the news lately. Mostly it is just the fact in most American Big cities. Chicago does hide aspects of these areas well .... for Visitors and Tourist. Who never need to enter or go through them neighborhoods. I always felt Philly did not hide it well. Just as a visitor to Philly I saw less then desirable neighborhoods too easy.

I lived in Chicago 6-years and never saw a crime... merely my pocket picked on the Bus. Never carried my wallet in a back pocket ever since..... I then also had no need to venture into them neighborhoods. I did once and saw how it looked as night and Day to Cross the Border from the Suburbs on the Westside then..... now much of that in appearance is cleaned out... But Crime perhaps, not as much.....

It depends how much the media gives the movie and Chicago's Southside attention? CNN did expose's in the past and the Mayor is no fan because of it. Given Chicago's financial issues. The State and Nation could cut Police. Especially in them Wards. But if crime increased.... it could not be accepted and a National problem.

NYC was refused a Bailout by the Federal Government and a President Ford who first said...NO. When it almost went Bankrupt in 1975. But under pressure after Police were cut and Crime SKYROCKETED in NYC. President Ford gave NYC federal Loans. I do not believe ever paid back?

So if Chicago does have a SIGNIFICANT JUMP... and perhaps Cuts in Police protection was part of it in Budget cuts... I think the Feds would have to take notice.

But Internationally it might be a larger blemish for the city AND NATION..... But from Rio to London..... Crime is high in Key neighborhoods.... and not getting better.

Politically the Right could blame Policy's and gun controls? But it is far more then that.

As someone noted.... the Depression ended aspects of White Gangs back in a day. But this is still a issue that poverty heightens today.... and abuse of soooo many kinds of Prescription drugs today..... feed it too along with street drugs.

Chicago will certainly only have the usual bashers and mockers.... run with it. I don't think the Media will. Maybe the Movie will open with the Cities good attributes and its Skyline? To Show there are two sides to the City.

SHORT ON A DRASTIC INCREASE IN POLICE IN THESE NEIGHBORHOODS? THAT BUDGETS CERTIANLY DO NOT MAKE LIKELY..... Not sure what can be done? Housing projects were removed, much of the really bad blight removed... You can't delegate morals drug use by those with issues today and create low-skilled jobs for the masses. That continue to move to China and Mexico to the Philippines.

But those saying they await the Movie with DESIRE TO SEE IT? Apparently for entertainment... then say oh yeah the city needs to do more.... will probably be in line for the sequel too..... It's like seeing the Drunk in a bar? Some laugh and find it ENTERTAINING in SEEING ANOTHERS ISSUES..... SOME ARE SADDENED AND CANNOT SEE IT ENTERTAINING.

Last edited by steeps; 10-12-2015 at 03:36 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 03:21 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,778,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
Pretty excited about it. It's an embarrassment to the city and to the communities, but I think it's the good kind. If it's anywhere near accurate it can shine a light on the sad culture that plagues certain SS neighborhoods - and that light is hard to remove.
I completely agree. Hopefully the bad press and problems it shines a light on will motivate city officials, government, laws, communities, voters,etc. to do more to curtail these problems that parts of the city have had for such a long time.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:32 PM

596 posts, read 815,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I seriously doubt that outsiders think that Chicago is completely uniform in terms of crime and socioeconomics. Has there ever been such a city in the history of humanity? Probably not.
The only things that are uniform in Chicago are the police and the weather.

Get it? Because the police where uniforms; they are the men and women in uniform. What a great joke.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,257,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
The only things that are uniform in Chicago are the police and the weather.

Get it? Because the police where uniforms; they are the men and women in uniform. What a great joke.
LOL .... but it certainly be cooler near the lake or warmer.... to more snow there and sunny inland. I still see Chicago hides its worst areas well. Unless you want to see it or got lost. Even the Dan Ryan into the city is much more Aesthetically better looking then in past decades.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:06 PM

77,756 posts, read 59,900,878 times
The city has long relied on doing little for it's poorest citizens and letting them kill each other off in gangs rather than invest in diversion programs and other such initiatives.

Then once in a while when things get bad they'll hold a peace march where they blame guns.

Guns aren't the reason Austin has a murder rate 30x higher than Lincoln Park......that would be gangs, drugs and poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago