Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 AM

211 posts, read 211,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
^Also, I didn't see it but I heard the reviews were really bad
Not really. It has an 81 % Fresh Rating at Rottentomatoes.com, and a critical consensus of:
«Chi-Raq is as urgently topical and satisfyingly ambitious as it is wildly uneven -- and it contains some of Spike Lee's smartest, sharpest, and all-around most entertaining late-period work».

I found it a fascinating example of Lee’s thought-provoking, incendiary kind of cinema. The acting was amazing all around (although Nick Cannon’s performance was particularly revelatory), and Lee's direction is as assured and potent as his best work.
However, it doesn’t surprise me that it has come and gone completely ignored by audiences. It's not only an uncomfortable film to watch, but too small of a fish in a sea of big-concept cookie cutter comedies (Daddy’s Home, Sisters) and large-scale, big-action blockbusters (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

I’ll take a small but provocative film like Chi-Raq over an inert, assembly-line spectacle like Star Wars any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
I finally saw it: meh!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Ugh, terrible. I would much prefer watching a staging of Lysistrata.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:06 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
I'm from NYC and I saw it. Thought it was pretty interesting.

Only somebody really dense watching the movie would think all Chicago's about is just gangs and that's it. So nobody should worry about that. Chicago does have a prevalent gang issue though.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiabrazil View Post
I just wanted to know peoples opinions on the Chiraq movie in the works. For one, I am strongly against the movie. I feel like it will portray the city as even more of a bad place than it is. On top of that its going to be in MOVIE THEATERS around the country!!!!!!!!! I don't want others that haven't been here to see our city in that way. Why is it that African Americans like to take part in movies like this? Spike Lee isn't even from Chicago. He should go back to Atlanta and make a similar movie to embarrass the locals there. Im sorry if im not making sense but this movie really makes me cringe.
What is the movie about? Who stars in it? Why would Spike Lee want to embarrass Atlanta? Isn't Spike Lee from New York?

Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

Chicago's reputation will suffer, for sure.
Even if it had been wildly popular, this movie was never going to cause Chicago's reputation to take a hit.

Turns out very few people saw it, and it's already been forgotten.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:08 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Since it is a remake of Lysistrata, maybe Spike is suggesting that the women of the war zone actually withhold sex from their men until the men stop shooting up the neighborhood?
Crime would definitely go down if that happened.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I have family and friends in Chicago. Tons. Every single last one of them either has no desire to see it and if they saw it, hates it.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Crime would definitely go down if that happened.
Yeah but simps like Spike Lee would basically come out with that type of message but it is what it is.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:34 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Even if it had been wildly popular, this movie was never going to cause Chicago's reputation to take a hit.

Turns out very few people saw it, and it's already been forgotten.
I had no idea it'd finally been released. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago