Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 11:23 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,137,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Hey I was jus thinking, maybe the artsy hipsters moved into Pilsen cuz it's cheaper... moving from Wicker Park. If Pilsen gets gentrified some more with yuppies then the hipsters will move out.

Maybe the hipsters in Pilsen came from Wicker Park.
Um, yes, the hipster central was WP through the 80's and early 90's, as the property owners raised rents and condos were built more to replace affordable housing the artists/hipsters/whatever, moved to other - cheaper - areas, Pilsen, Humboldt, Logan, Bridgeport, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 10:44 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,826,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
Maybe the hipsters in Pilsen came from Wicker Park.
That was actually predicted around year 2000. I was taking a college class on Chicago geographic trends back then, and one article I read talked about trends for, wait for it..., year 2015. It said that by 2015, Pilsen will become the new Wicker Park! While the prediction is behind by some years---Pilsen isn't an art colony Wicker Park was in its hipster days---it's certainly headed that way. What's even more interesting is that Wicker Park was also a vibrant Mexican neighborhood before it turned hipster, like Pilsen is today.

It'd be interesting to know what's attracting hipsters to Mexican neighborhoods. Good food? Ethnic art/culture? Or just low rents? Discuss!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,082,952 times
Interesting, I'm being reminded that I had an English professor woman who was a hipster (butch hair, gel in her hair spiked, chains around her belt, and into art and painting art). She and her husband lived in the worst Hispanic neighborhoods. She lived in Little Village and moved from Humboldt Park.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,291,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
That was actually predicted around year 2000. I was taking a college class on Chicago geographic trends back then, and one article I read talked about trends for, wait for it..., year 2015. It said that by 2015, Pilsen will become the new Wicker Park! While the prediction is behind by some years---Pilsen isn't an art colony Wicker Park was in its hipster days---it's certainly headed that way. What's even more interesting is that Wicker Park was also a vibrant Mexican neighborhood before it turned hipster, like Pilsen is today.

It'd be interesting to know what's attracting hipsters to Mexican neighborhoods. Good food? Ethnic art/culture? Or just low rents? Discuss!
Mostly cheap foods and cheap rents but also, from my personal experience renting in Pilsen, landlords are typically more easy going: they tend not to require perfect credit, multiple deposits, or in depth references, they just want the money and a promise you won't torch the place to the ground! This can be pretty attractive to students and artists who may not have a ton of money, extensive references, or even previous rental history.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:10 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,082,952 times
Oh yea, I wanna say, Mexican landlords are among the best. Especially ones that are from raised in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago