Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:50 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times

Advertisements

There are decent options for "over pants" -- some are just made of wind proof nylon or Goretex while others are lined with synthetic fleece. If you are going to walk to work or even stand out waiting for a bus they make a lot of sense -- keep your dress pants from getting stained with salt etc...

I've been to other cold weather towns, both in the US and Canada, the biggest differences involve how better the other towns plan for cold. In Toronoto or Minneapolis many buildings are linked with sky bridges or through pedestrian tunnels. That is much less common in Chicago. The only major municipal funded link is from the State St subway that has a pedway to Michigan Ave. A similar type link runs through Illinois Center. Neither of these are much use for the much larger number of workers in the Wacker corridor, those on LaSalle St, North Michigan Ave, or places like River North.

This weekend we had our first snow, and it was a mess. OHare had a record "first snowfall" with nearly a foot. That meant cancellations and delays for many flights. The status as a the major hub puts a spotlight on what happens, and it is embarrassing that there is not better preparation ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
It looks like the snow you just had will not make it to the East Coast, proof that not every weather system makes it all the way across the country ( most do, though)..

Old 11-23-2015, 07:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I've been to other cold weather towns, both in the US and Canada, the biggest differences involve how better the other towns plan for cold. In Toronoto or Minneapolis many buildings are linked with sky bridges or through pedestrian tunnels.
This is mainly only true downtown in Minneapolis. Most other areas in that region have neither one of these options in the slightest bit.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The prevelance of things like community ice rinks, inflatable sports bubbles, even electrical outlets for engine block heaters in suburban Minneapolis greatly exceeds any such "winter accomodations" in the parts of Chicago that have similar levels of residential / commercial density.

Bottomline: Chicago mostly hibernates compared to other cold weather cities that wisely try to make the cold an opportunity.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:49 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
When I lived in Minnesota, we never shied away from being outside, even when the weather was more miserable than what Chicago sees almost ever (almost is the key word, but not always). However, you are talking about employment type of things. Downtown Minneapolis doesn't have a huge downtown workforce population - under or around 50K to be exact. The area is set up more like suburban Chicago. Things are spread out and you have to drive to your jobs and the parking is not covered parking. It's outdoor. Most people who work in the area do not enjoy underground tunnels for their works, skywalks, or even covered parking.

And for the record, at least where I lived - most rinks were outdoors save about 3 or 4. At least for a few years of High School, my friends and I would be out there at least 3 days/week playing hockey and it was outdoors. They were a lot more plentiful than indoor rinks.

Maybe you can see this link for Minneapolis alone where only 2 rinks are indoors, versus 23 outdoors:
https://www.minneapolisparks.org/act...ies/ice_rinks/

Here's St. Paul with their 14 outdoor rinks:
City of St. Paul, MN - Official Website - Ice Rinks

Even my friends who were on my High School's hockey team, when not practicing officially with their team, were practising outside at the nearest outdoor rink to their house unless it was a blizzard outside. It wasn't uncommon to see people pull up to an outdoor rink at 9pm on a weekday and start playing/practicing.

Last edited by marothisu; 11-23-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 04:05 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Buy these:
*a heavy winter coat for when it gets bitterly cold. Don't be one of those people who breaks it out when it's 40 something degrees, however.
*a nice pair of gloves
*a pair of ear muffs and a winter hat
*a warm scarf
*long underwear for when it's bitterly cold, although it will only be needed occasionally.
*a warm pair of winter boots for when it snows.

That's it in terms of outwear. It'll be an adjustment, but you're moving to Chicago not the North Pole. In terms of typical clothing, you'll be fine with the standard fair. I do layers sometimes, but nothing drastic. I'm talking a button down with a sweater or a pullover, and, at most, the aforementioned long underwear under whatever pants I'm wearing.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Too much exaggeration about Chicago winters, when they are many places that are colder within the continental US. If the OP was moving to Minneapolis, then some real adjustments would have to be made..

Old 11-25-2015, 10:01 PM

748 posts, read 833,212 times
I lived in northern Wisconsin, and the big difference in Chicago is the wind. Get some outerwear that will keep you protected from this, and then layer underneath.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:34 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Worked for the phone company as a outside technician where I spent a good part of days outside in cold weather.

1.) A pair of water proof insulated boots. Here is a link to the boots I liked.

Hytest® Safety Footwear

Work Boots and Shoes - Shoe Finder - Red Wing Shoes

2.) Insulated Bid overalls to wear over your pants. The beauty of them is they are easily removable when going into a office building, but out in the cold they add a 2nd insulated layer against the wind and cold.

Quick Duck® Jefferson Bib Overalls

3.) Two types of heavy coats, one with a removable outerwaterproof shell & and another heavy wool.

4.) Covers for the head, A heavy insulated head topper.

5.) Gloves, both mittens and a lighter pair of gloves for driving.

You should be good with this starter kit if you spend a lot of time outdoors like I did.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:49 AM

671 posts, read 854,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Too much exaggeration about Chicago winters, when they are many places that are colder within the continental US. If the OP was moving to Minneapolis, then some real adjustments would have to be made..
But cold + wind + waiting for public transportation is a combination that makes it worse than some other colder places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: