Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
A business can go bankrupt. A business can't force their customers to pay them so there is a hard limit to the money they have access to.
There is also a limit to how much money a State can raise in taxes before it implodes. Illinois is obviously not their, but this constitutional protection is ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Here is more to be dumbstruck by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It boggles my mind that a COLA is constitutionally protected.
I literally gagged on my lunch as I read this -- 40% of ex-judges' pensions higher than old salaries

Quote:
n 2015, 311 judges made an average of $25,304 more in retirement than they were paid in their final salaries. All told, those same judges will receive nearly $7.9 million more this year than the combined total of their final salaries.
The article goes on to quote some flak from the "State Judges Associations" about how they're easy to pick on because if they were attorneys in private practice they'd make a lot more. CRY ME A RIVER. I know dozens of attorneys that would jump at CONTINUOUS GUARANTEED LIFETIME INCOME and being able to knock your gavel at 5PM sharp and say "adjourned till tomorrow" beats the heck out of racking up countless nights on the road at some client in the middle of nowhere, with senior partners hounding you to bill 5000 hours, and the constant pressures of the new hires being forced to live in the office for a shot at partner...

Old 12-02-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I literally gagged on my lunch as I read this -- 40% of ex-judges' pensions higher than old salaries

The article goes on to quote some flak from the "State Judges Associations" about how they're easy to pick on because if they were attorneys in private practice they'd make a lot more. CRY ME A RIVER. I know dozens of attorneys that would jump at CONTINUOUS GUARANTEED LIFETIME INCOME and being able to knock your gavel at 5PM sharp and say "adjourned till tomorrow" beats the heck out of racking up countless nights on the road at some client in the middle of nowhere, with senior partners hounding you to bill 5000 hours, and the constant pressures of the new hires being forced to live in the office for a shot at partner...
Ugh, and they get rule on these things. Something is not right.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:21 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They did that throughout the South after the Civil War [Reconstruction].
Call me when Illinois has risen up against the federal government. Until then, however, your example isn't comparable in the slightest, and there's nothing the federal government is going to do.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In the "real world" if I have a job and someday I think it would be nice to leave my kid doing it my employer would toss me on my ear if I said "my son / daughter is taking over for me" -- the insider mindset in Illinois has seen that happen so many times I have lost track:

Pucinski, Lipinski, Stroger, Daley, LaHood, Mell ...

In the real world, when somebody does not show up, they stop getting paychecks...

In the real world, when somebody rips off the employer they don't generally get another shot at doing it again...
...and Madigan, too, I believe..

That business with the judges is hard to swallow, but not completely surprising. Here in MA, we had the case of ex-MA Senate president/UMass president Billy Bulger's ( yes, the brother of infamous criminal/murderer Whitey Bulger) fights with then-Gov Mitt Romney over his pension benefits, which were simply outrageous, under any circumstance..

And abuse in the private sector? Look no further than Jack Welch from GE..

Old 12-02-2015, 03:59 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It boggles my mind that a COLA is constitutionally protected.
Some pretty low watt bulbs drafted the Illinois Constitution, so it doesn't boggle mine. It needs to be changed. Immediately. I doubt we'll see anything this radical but I'd love to see it changed such that all the pension money gets shoveled into 401ks. Then they'd have to balance how much to put in bonds, mid-cap value, "high yield" growth, etc. just like the rest of us schmucks.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Some pretty low watt bulbs drafted the Illinois Constitution, so it doesn't boggle mine. It needs to be changed.
Great point.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:58 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Call me when Illinois has risen up against the federal government. Until then, however, your example isn't comparable in the slightest, and there's nothing the federal government is going to do.
The federal govt is like a parent and the states are like partially independent minors. In the case of the civil war the Federal govt took over and revoked their autonomy until they formed a non-rebellious govt that partially respected black's civil rights [they eventually gave up on that part] like how a parent controls a delinquent juvenile. In Illinois' case it is not that the state is rebellious it is that they are corrupt and unable to handle their finances. It is like having a teenage son addicted to gambling and running up their debt into the hundreds of thousands. The parent needs to step in and manage their finances and help them on their addiction.

I agree it won't happen but since the Illinois constitution acts as a straightjacket and the dummycrap/union unholy alliance seems impossible to break I don't see how Illinois straightens out.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The federal govt is like a parent and the states are like partially independent minors. In the case of the civil war the Federal govt took over and revoked their autonomy until they formed a non-rebellious govt that partially respected black's civil rights [they eventually gave up on that part] like how a parent controls a delinquent juvenile. In Illinois' case it is not that the state is rebellious it is that they are corrupt and unable to handle their finances. It is like having a teenage son addicted to gambling and running up their debt into the hundreds of thousands. The parent needs to step in and manage their finances and help them on their addiction.

I agree it won't happen but since the Illinois constitution acts as a straightjacket and the dummycrap/union unholy alliance seems impossible to break I don't see how Illinois straightens out.
Then why make dubious and illegal suggestions if you know they won't happen?

Old 12-03-2015, 07:13 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
Because something has to happen that there is no legal framework for. They can't pay the pensions, they can't alter them because of the state constitution, and they can't declare bankruptcy because of the US constitution. So we have an unstoppable force hitting an immovable object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago