Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:24 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,802,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Ditto - parts of Asia too. Not interested in living in too many other US cities to be honest that I haven't already lived in or spent a ton of time in.
I completely agree as well. I don't feel as in tune with American culture and way of life as I do with other places I have visited like Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain or Portugal. I feel my personality and the way I am was meant more to live in places like those.

In the US the only cities I would live by CHOICE would be Chicago or Miami. What strikes me about Miami, is it really doesn't feel quite American. I could live in Boston, NYC, SF and LA if a job required me to, but I would never live in those cities by choice.

I appreciate the US for what it is, it's an amazing place, but American culture doesn't typically fit in to my personality, what I value in life or what I want out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 06:26 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
You can move away, but I guarantee you one thing, you're going to miss Chicago.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:32 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,802,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No doubt I will, but as my family moves away I think I will start to miss it less and less, especially if they all move to Miami. I will no doubt miss it, but I have been here a good 28 years, I need a change of scenery, air and just something new.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:02 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,216,636 times
I just left Chicago in October, but I only lived there for 2 years, so I'm not sure if I count. I enjoyed some things about the city, but I couldn't ever shake the feeling that the city is about to face some very difficult times. It's a corrupt and broke city.

It was a good place to spend a couple years, but isn't an area where I would want to invest in real estate or lay roots.

Last edited by downtownnola; 12-07-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I just left Chicago in October, but I only lived there for 2 years, so I'm not sure if I count. I enjoyed some things about the city, but I couldn't ever shake the feeling that the city is about to face some very difficult times. It's a corrupt and broke city.

It was a good place to spend a couple years, but isn't an area where I would want to invest in real estate or lay roots.
Real Estate is only going up in Chicago.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:42 PM

35 posts, read 33,274 times
Quote:
Definitely not a blanket statement. I more agree with downtownnola. There are way too many things broken about the city, county and state. There's also a reason that Chicago crime makes national headlines and all the recent focus on police homicide.

I for one (and I know I'm not alone), could not be more excited to relocate next year. I don't want to be the one left holding the check.

In response to the original question - yes, I have a few friends that have left for greener pastures (my wife has seen even more leave). Frankly, I totally get it. Do I think they'll come back in the future to be near family? Anything is possible. But they wouldn't be coming back because they miss the city...

Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,242,234 times
Quote:
Real Estate is only going up in Chicago.
Chicago has the worst real estate appreciation of the 20 largest U.S. metros per the monthly Case-Schiller reports.

Yes, real estate has gone up from the depths of the recession (which is true everywhere in the U.S.), but Chicago is generally a significant laggard in terms of real estate values. You have a combination of weak job growth, weak population numbers, a financial crisis, and overbuilding.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:32 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Chicago has the worst real estate appreciation of the 20 largest U.S. metros per the monthly Case-Schiller reports.
Is that the same report/study which doesn't include rehabs and tear downs, which there are a lot of on the north and west-ish side (i.e. UK Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown, etc), or am I thinking of a different one?

Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,255,511 times
As usual a HONEST discussion has THE TORNADO COME IN......
I will just say from reading the page is that the city is on some slippery slop and a fear of lower Real Estate and whatever other problems the feel they city is going to see?

It reminds me of the era of White Flight and the belief and reasoning of my Relatives.... now all passed. Who left Southside vibrant neighborhoods as African-Americans were moving in. FEARING FALLING REAL ESTATE PRICES and especially the last one out loses most.....

Sadly, that was actually true to a extent. My one Great-Aunt and Uncle did stay till near total change to African-American. They DID take a Large loss on their 50s 2-flat and purchase a single early 60s home a couple years old then. On the Northwest side of the city.

It did change Chicago DRASTICALLY that lead to a TALE OF TWO CITIES IN ONE. Today a BOOMING DOWNTOWN and continued Gentrification. Even INTERNATIONAL INVESTMENT is Up. Shows a city where TRANSPLANTS have more FAITH IN THE CITY THEN MANY LOCALS. Tourism also at record numbers. Though I read conventions are down a bit.

Still RACIAL CHANGE is part if the equation as Gentrification on the North side pushes Latinos more west. That even then..... along with fears of the City's Financial issues and a terrible winter last year Give some people reasons to see things NEGATIVE and want to move.

Even African-American flight out of the city may be continuing. But Population Loss seems to be replaced with New Young Urban Professionals still moving in. The big loss of the last census stopped.

On visits I STILL SEE A CITY THAT WORKS. A CLEAN AND VIBRANT DOWNTOWN filled with flowers the city maintains and greenery and Awesome Gentrified neighborhoods and others through much of the city. Improvements in Aesthetics and infrastructure and new construction, infill and re-habs.

Improvements still continue done by the city. Gas company continues to replace gas-lines. So if someone DID NOT KNOW OF FINANCIAL ISSUES. THEY WOULD>>NEVER<< see it as a city that has these Pension issues. Police issues is nothing new or unique to Chicago. When it happens it becomes sensationalized and always risk of Racial protest at risk for more.

From Mafia controls in the city to the "Machine". Chicago ALWAYS had what others saw as corruption. YET SUCH A CITY STILL WAS BUILT. It is the CITY LIKE THE ENERGIZER.... TAKES A LICKEN AND KEEPS ON TICKING.

I believe Chicago WILL CONTINUE TO PROVE DOOMSAYERS WRONG. Problems and MAJOR ISSUES for sure. Some rate Chicago vs. NYC WITH ALL its INTERNATIONAL WEALTHY INVESTORS and even SUNBELT cities .... Still RANT TO DEMEAN CHICAGO IS GROWING STILL SLOWER THEN THE REST. But they will never replace the kind of growth like Chicago had in the early 20th century. In its Greatest growth periods. Even much more White Northwest Cities that grow as already vastly Gentrified cities already.

BUT THIS IS CHICAGO Never rule it out and down..... a City of Greatness and what Capitalism could build and still great housing stock in its varied neighborhoods built in different eras. IT ALWAYS FIGHTS BACK. EVEN IN HAVING EXTREMES sadly, with some aspects that don't work as well. As Racial poverty still prevalent and segregation Not just in Chicago but some aspects Most of our Major cities have too. Chicago had more of and some drastic splits.

But So goes Chicago..... So goes America too I say. SO DOOMSAYERS.... BEWARE WHAT YOU WISH FOR AND ACCUSE IS AT HAND... ESPECIALLY IN PREDUDICES AND BY POLITICAL BLAME.

It would be FOOLISH to say the Nation would allow the city to fall to levels NYC was at in 1975 and virtually Bankrupt but for a Government Bailout. I DO NOT expect that to happen. But to allow police cuts and reverse improvements ongoing in the city is NOT on the Nations interest.

If Radical Racial Tension to crime increases resulted. Nothing to do with Political blame game if it comes to such a result. If anything learned from NYC's declines 40 years ago. It is NOT to be Allowed to happen again. We were lucky with Detroit. It is beginning to bounce back.

Some OPINIONS that are NOT MEANT TO STIR THE THREAD.... I ABHORE when some RADICALIZE everything about the city to the NEGATIVE. But I surely respect comments of those still living in the city and views.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter1225 View Post
Definitely not a blanket statement. I more agree with downtownnola. There are way too many things broken about the city, county and state. There's also a reason that Chicago crime makes national headlines and all the recent focus on police homicide.

I for one (and I know I'm not alone), could not be more excited to relocate next year. I don't want to be the one left holding the check.

In response to the original question - yes, I have a few friends that have left for greener pastures (my wife has seen even more leave). Frankly, I totally get it. Do I think they'll come back in the future to be near family? Anything is possible. But they wouldn't be coming back because they miss the city...
I can't imagine why you think Chicago's crime makes national headlines, it's been awhile since I've seen it in the national news due to shootings or other related violence, besides the police shootings of late. Chicago's murder rate is only slightly above the national average. Calling it a broken city isn't a blanket statement? Chicago will carry on just fine without you, hopefully you see yourself out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago