Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:54 PM

251 posts, read 257,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
I'm a Chicago native, and after leaving Chicago for many stints in warm-weather cities around the globe, have currently ended up in San Antonio. I came to the conclusion that, in this country, if you want a relatively affordable place to live (i.e., not Miami or Los Angeles) and warm weather, you have to choose between the cold or a hick-ish culture. (Please offer contradictions and I'll check them out!) Anyway, I think that heat vs. cold tolerance is highly personal. Though my biggest issue is with weeks of gray skies, my physiology is cold-averse. I know this given the results of my own handy dandy self-imposed scientific experiment: Remember times that you have had to step outside for 1 minute (e.g., to retrieve something from an outdoor storage closet) under conditions of temperature extremes. When I've had to do that in 105 degree heat, it's like, "Hmm, it kind of hot out here. Not great, but oh, well..." Alternatively, when I've had to do that even in 28 degree cold (with reasonable clothing layers), I'm like "Holy crap, this sucks." I even get that feeling when I walk into the chilled freezer section at Costco to fetch raspberries! I hate it.

What I find more tolerable about hot summer climates is that, even if you can't be out much during the intense heat of the day, you CAN function relatively comfortably outdoors in the mornings, evenings, and nights. In cold winter climates, it's just too cold 24/7, and never do-able without dressing like an astronaut. My worst memories of the Midwest were carrying my coat and hat and gloves and scarf around with me in stuffy, hot, department stores in January, putting them back on to brace for the elements, then peeling them off again in the next store in the sweltering stuffy heat. It's horrible.
I've lived in or visited many warm, affordable cities in the US that I wouldn't describe as "hick-ish" unless you're in selected areas. In Texas, San Antonio is more working class/has less cultural stuff than other cities like Austin, Houston and Dallas. All of those cities will have areas or suburbs that you might feel are "hick-ish" but it's just a matter of finding the right city neighborhood or right suburb for you. Same thing as Chicago-- there are some areas here you'd probably hate living in depending on your preferences. All large sunbelt cities have areas that are packed with northern or coastal transplants if you prefer being around other transplants-- and they all have both conservative and liberal areas, really there should be something for everyone if you look. The mayor of Houston is a lesbian and there are huge populations of immigrants from all over the world... not really a city I'd describe as hick-ish overall. Along with those three Texas cities I'd include Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and I'm not personally familiar with Albuquerque but have a friend who moved there from the northeast and thinks it's fantastic. If you're ok with smaller cities there are some good smaller ones too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 10:27 PM

262 posts, read 433,455 times
Thanks Helena! Great tips.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:19 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Y'all gripe about winter cold even during one of the mildest winter seasons.. smh.

I look forward to snowy winters when I move up north Longer pond hockey season!!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Y'all gripe about winter cold even during one of the mildest winter seasons.. smh.

I look forward to snowy winters when I move up north Longer pond hockey season!!
Yes, for some reason i just cannot tolerate it anymore. I am thankful it was pretty mild this year, however, it was for some reason very depressing to go thru it this year.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:39 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Yes, for some reason i just cannot tolerate it anymore. I am thankful it was pretty mild this year, however, it was for some reason very depressing to go thru it this year.
Just get yourself a "Happy Light"!

Amazon.com: Verilux VT10WW1 HappyLight Liberty Personal, Portable Natural Spectrum Energy Lamp: Health & Personal Care

Otherwise, ya' can't complain about one of the nicest winters I can remember!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Just get yourself a "Happy Light"!

Amazon.com: Verilux VT10WW1 HappyLight Liberty Personal, Portable Natural Spectrum Energy Lamp: Health & Personal Care

Otherwise, ya' can't complain about one of the nicest winters I can remember!
Hey thanks for the idea about the light. I AM grateful for the warm weather we had this winter, however, even that, for some reason i cannot tolerate the bit we had. I dont know why.. It may be I hate Chiraq here ,, I'm moving out of the city shortly.. i hope that will help. I hope the new environment will cheer me when winter comes next year.

I'm also afraid of falling on slippery ice. when the sidewalk is wet, you dont know if its black ice or just wet. if i fall its gonna hurt, because i fall really bad and hard for me to get back up.. not in good shape. i just cannot handle it.. maybe that light idea will help. thank you.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:28 PM

262 posts, read 433,455 times
Remember that those lights are "full spectrum" and have ultraviolet light in them. You're not really supposed to look directly at them, and they do give you a tan and cause damage that the sun causes.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:42 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffer View Post
Remember that those lights are "full spectrum" and have ultraviolet light in them. You're not really supposed to look directly at them, and they do give you a tan and cause damage that the sun causes.
This is not true. You are not supposed to stare at them, but they do not give you a tan and cause the equivalent of the damage the sun causes.

The instructions are simple. Place near you so you are exposed at least 30 minutes a day, best to do in the morning.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
This is not true. You are not supposed to stare at them, but they do not give you a tan and cause the equivalent of the damage the sun causes.

The instructions are simple. Place near you so you are exposed at least 30 minutes a day, best to do in the morning.
I am enjoying the extra daylight we are getting.. it seems to be cheering!! and the warm weather too. and the fact that theres no sneaky black ice that you are unaware of and all of a sudden BAM there you go on the ground.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I'm more depressed over how mild it was down here. I love experiencing all 4 seasons (like we did last year when we had 2 weeks of on and off snow followed by a gorgeous spring, not too bad summer and my first time ever living through an actual colourful fall) and winter was a bust, even for Texas standards. Too many 70+ days in February.

Aside from a trip I have planned to Minnesota, I'm not looking forward to summer. If late winter/early spring have been this warm, I can only imagine the heat we got in store in the next two and a half months!!

Be grateful Chicago experiences all 4 seasons so even if it's cold for a few months, it's warm the rest of the year! You couldn't pay me to move back to Miami, which has never ending exhausting heat and maybe like 10 days tops, where it gets under 60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: