Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:38 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I'm sure we'll see more of the same that has already been built on the other sites.
I'm shocked to see units in the mixed income buildings listing (and selling) for over 400k. Good news that there's demand though!

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/51.../mred-09273088
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/51.../home/21815628
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:00 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I'm shocked to see units in the mixed income buildings listing (and selling) for over 400k. Good news that there's demand though!

And a $500/month HOA. Wow.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:42 AM

672 posts, read 757,439 times
Quote:

That is good news. With any luck it'll become a vibrant community.

The city seems to have reaped enough with increased assessments that the property tax rate didn't take much of a hike. Hopefully projects like this will increase the base further.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
That is good news. With any luck it'll become a vibrant community.

The city seems to have reaped enough with increased assessments that the property tax rate didn't take much of a hike. Hopefully projects like this will increase the base further.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Clybourn between New City and Division fills in...Could be a nice stretch in a few years. The CTA should look into implementing bus service down Clybourn. As for south of Division, I'd be SHOCKED to see those row homes ever lived in again. They've been boarded up for five+ years by now?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
And a $500/month HOA. Wow.
Wow is right. $500 is more than half the rent on an apartment 3 miles due west of there. And meanwhile, this exists in the same city...

449 W 61st Pl, Chicago, IL 60621 | MLS #09164389 | Zillow

That's where the former residents of Cabrini Green went. But at least the Emerald City is doing well!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Wow is right. $500 is more than half the rent on an apartment 3 miles due west of there. And meanwhile, this exists in the same city...

449 W 61st Pl, Chicago, IL 60621 | MLS #09164389 | Zillow

That's where the former residents of Cabrini Green went. But at least the Emerald City is doing well!
Wow, it's almost as if location matters or something

Strengthening our tax base is exactly what this city needs. Attracting a higher grade of residents to the City will enable us to provide better social services for those most in need. Progress isn't made overnight. It'll take time (and money) to raise the standard of living for the most disadvantaged.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,101 times
eliminate section 8 housing

Old 07-01-2016, 11:01 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Wow, it's almost as if location matters or something

Strengthening our tax base is exactly what this city needs. Attracting a higher grade of residents to the City will enable us to provide better social services for those most in need. Progress isn't made overnight. It'll take time (and money) to raise the standard of living for the most disadvantaged.
Oh no doubt. I do not disagree. I just find it fascinating that these two states of affairs exist in the same city. As we strive to attract a higher grade of residents, I hope we don't forget the working class. We need to create incentives for manufacturing and other industries to move into the city in addition to white collar professional jobs.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Oh no doubt. I do not disagree. I just find it fascinating that these two states of affairs exist in the same city. As we strive to attract a higher grade of residents, I hope we don't forget the working class. We need to create incentives for manufacturing and other industries to move into the city in addition to white collar professional jobs.
Manufacturing is a done deal in Illinois and the U.S. unfortunately. We do need to make sure we aren't leaving behind huge swaths of people though. I personally think there are plenty that could be useful in the reconstruction of our infrastructure and green/renewable energy, but the U.S. government is hesitant to get that ball rolling for whatever reason.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:15 PM

255 posts, read 414,881 times
Quote:
Manufacturing is a done deal in Illinois and the U.S. unfortunately. We do need to make sure we aren't leaving behind huge swaths of people though. I personally think there are plenty that could be useful in the reconstruction of our infrastructure and green/renewable energy, but the U.S. government is hesitant to get that ball rolling for whatever reason.
It would be nice to replace some blue collar jobs with "green collar" jobs, ones related to renewable energy resources and developing the technologies needed to become more sustainable in the US. That would be something that Midwestern states should look at pursuing more prominently. And yes manufacturing in Illinois continues to struggle, but it struggles in many other states as well.

As for Cabrini, it seems like a gentrifying area, I hope the city does a good job of allowing for redevelopment but making sure gentrifying these areas doesn't force out every middle to lower middle class resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago