Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 07:32 PM

16 posts, read 25,790 times

Advertisements

In recent years I've noticed that Chicago has really had an epidemic of boring, ugly, glass towers perched atop parking podiums. Will this ever let up? Many cities in the country seem to be having the same issue. I'm not saying that every glass building is ugly, but I'd say that there's more than enough at this point. Why is there such a lack of pride when it comes to building design? Is there any alternative to the blue glass template being shot up every other week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 07:52 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,651,377 times
In Miami you see the same thing. Overpriced land and a desire to cram as much in as possible leads to cost cutting and ignoring aesthetics. Furthermore builders like to tack on postmodern details like cornices and columns that make no sense at all.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,156,709 times
I'm jealous of San Francisco and their proposals/construction

Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 PM

5,528 posts, read 3,199,435 times
Are these boring glass boxes Vancouver-style buildings? That was the style in the 2000s and was seen as avant garde recently, replacing the postmodern classicism of the 90s.

Styles change all the time. What sort of building would you like to see?

Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 PM

33 posts, read 40,683 times
It's definitely overdone. It's ironic that people supporting the Governor's proposal to demolition the Thompson Center want another glass box with much less architectural character built in its place. This trend began in the early-1980s throughout the Loop and River North, but it has accelerated in the last 15 years. For whatever reason, much of the Gold Coast hasn't seen this development, even with the razing of the Cabrini-Green (although there has been discussion of post-modern high-rises filling those empty lots in the coming years---but who really knows whats stirring in the minds at CHA nowadays).

Fortunately, most of the historic stone buildings from the 1940s and earlier in the Loop are protected by landmark status.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 AM

7,101 posts, read 8,871,972 times
I noticed how boring the new residential buildings are in the Central West End in St Louis too. Chicago has better residential designs than many but the design for the 10 to 15 stories are the same everywhere.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:51 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,954,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In Miami you see the same thing. Overpriced land and a desire to cram as much in as possible leads to cost cutting and ignoring aesthetics. Furthermore builders like to tack on postmodern details like cornices and columns that make no sense at all.
This is why Old Naples has maintained height restrictions in certain areas, I used to sell those columns to which you refer. At least architects down there still make a decorative effort.

Up here is a much different story, good example is Soldier Field. The architects screwed up so badly it was actually removed from the National Historical Registry upon completion.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,556,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
This is why Old Naples has maintained height restrictions in certain areas, I used to sell those columns to which you refer. At least architects down there still make a decorative effort.

Up here is a much different story, good example is Soldier Field. The architects screwed up so badly it was actually removed from the National Historical Registry upon completion.
Did they screw up or was that the intent? I mean, they put a giant metal bowl in the stadium. I think that was the intent.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:03 PM

937 posts, read 921,501 times
I'm all for more of whatever happened near the US Soccer federation building happening more often.

If ever there were a time to create a more dense Amsterdam (in terms of aesthetics) like Chicago, following the lead of whatever is behind that building is a good start, haha.

As anti-car as it may sound, the US could with a few less parking spots and a lot more alleyway storefronts.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,954,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Did they screw up or was that the intent? I mean, they put a giant metal bowl in the stadium. I think that was the intent.
Ever been inside?., they screwed up. When in the United club viewing the field, it feels like you're in a tunnel. They also covered up some of those nice columns, and the overall seating capacity is a joke when compared to other modern stadiums.

It has also burdened Chicago taxpayers with a lease until 2032.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: