Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:34 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I agree that the West Loop would might afford decent access to the UP-W line via Olgivie Transportation Center, the reverse commute schedule along that line is among the worst -- Union Pacific / West (UP-W) Schedule Realistically there are maybe two options that work with a normal office type schedule and either would be more than 55 minutes of rail riding...

I would also question the recommendation of Bucktown, which is so poorly located for any kind of drive to Wheaton that either the "long way around" via the Kennedy, TriState, and E-W Tollway or the slightly less circuitous route of the Eisenhower would each tell well over an hour through numerous choke points...

River North at shaves off a few bottlenecks, but has relatively few locations with any kind of greenery for dog walking...

Gold Coast is similarly unable to hold a candle to Lincoln Park when it comes to pet friendly environs.
Yup, with the OP's budget, and looking for a dog-friendly environment and plenty of outdoors paths/trails for exercising, I don't think you can beat Lincoln Park. Specifically eastern Lincoln Park, near the park. Although the commute for her definitely wouldn't be fun. Just from what she described she is looking for (minus the commute since she doesn't seem worried about it), I'd go with Lincoln Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
Yeah, unfortunately Lincoln Park and even most locations on the lake are really not practical for her or she will want to shoot herself with her commute. She thinks she is used to traffic, but she is not used to weather + traffic.

If you have to be there early... like 6am or something... that is great because the commute there will be traffic free. Your drive home will be worse.

And definitely rent - do not buy. You will definitely wind up moving once you figure out what works for you here.

I agree that Oak Park is also a reasonable compromise if you want to live a bit closer to work, still be close to the city to explore on evenings/weekends, and find individuals in your age range.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
As I recall your kids are either in college or moved out like mine. That shapes our perspective but I know enough coworkers that are closer to the OP's age that she very well could be annoyed by neighbors that treat even a costly high rise as more of frat house. It is one thing to enjoy a nice healthy jog on the Prairie Path with one's dog and quite another to feel like a cougar surrounded by boys looking to share stories of their conquest with other bros...
My kids are in their 30s. Maybe they're the cougars :-)

It is a little hard for me to think of a single woman in her 30s feeling out of place in downtown Chicago or the near north, near west, and near south sides. Where else do single women in their 30s live?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default The OP said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
My kids are in their 30s. Maybe they're the cougars :-)

It is a little hard for me to think of a single woman in her 30s feeling out of place in downtown Chicago or the near north, near west, and near south sides. Where else do single women in their 30s live?
...she was as fit as someone in their 30s but is in fact a decade older. There are a few folks I work with that describes pretty well; being born in the 70s is fairly different cultural thing. The social scene in many parts of Chicago will emphasize those differences...

The other factor that keeps giving me pause is the thought of the OP working in Wheaton, at the college. It both rather inconvenient for a commute from any spot in Chicago and rather far removed from the sorts of environment one is likely to encounter surrounded by 20 somethings in any Chicago neighborhood.

While I sympathize with the OP's desire to live closer to where entertainment is vs where work is, there are lots of good to believe being in Oak Park provides much better access to work than spots in Chicago as well as easy access to entertainment. The fact that Oak Park is not a "youth oriented" also is a point in its favor for the OP's demographics...

Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
...she was as fit as someone in their 30s but is in fact a decade older. There are a few folks I work with that describes pretty well; being born in the 70s is fairly different cultural thing. The social scene in many parts of Chicago will emphasize those differences...
OK, 40s, that's different. I would say one of the richer precincts of Lincoln Park but it would be the commute from hell. No easy solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago