Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Look, there is nothing "magical" about Chicago. If some firm is leaving Illinois because the business climate in Peoria or Decatur is terrible there is every reason to believe that the same fundamental problems exist in Cook Co and Chicago -- PLUS even more lopsided taxes. State of the State: Cook County's Property Tax System is Unique and is Likely to Stay That Way | WUIS 91.9

Further, when a firm that had given guidance to analysts that its earnings per share would increase by 10 cents getting slammed by Wall Street when they only go up 8 cents -- the stock market is reacting as much to the LACK OF INSIGHT that the executive team about their own business. The "expectations" of Career Builder are fundamentally different. http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...market-chicago

These are things that can be supported by the . Wake-up! People are leaving and that is not going to change until the glaring problems are addressed. Chicago can't continue to let insiders get special treatment, that is especially damaging to the start-ups that often are more about "hope" than any kinds of "we promise to bring XXX jobs here". If you can't understand you are beyond reason...
The OP had a link that made a vague reference to how CareerBuilder arrived at the ranks. Crain's much more clearly explained the conclusion. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-06-2016 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Bickering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 10:56 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Again, I'm talking about the fact that the article is about expected versus actual, not actual. And the first part before that is that they are amateurs who can't use the official US economic statistics. It has nothing to do with anything other than that.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:03 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
^^^Take the Atlanta Business Chronicle with a grain of salt. That publication, along with other publications that come out of Atlanta are big on boosterism for the city when it comes to the job market and economy. They make claims that the job market and economy there is better than what it actually is. Quite frankly, they lie.

The Atlanta Business Chronicle is always talking about how Atlanta is booming with jobs or is number one in this, that, or the other, when in actuality it is not.

The state of Georgia is slow with job growth, particularly when it comes to professional jobs. Most of the state's job growth is in low wage service jobs and customer service while well-paying professional jobs are very few.

Marothisu is right. They are not using accurate data. I say this because I read the Georgia Department of Labor statistics for myself, and according to that data, over the last couple of years, only a few hundred professional jobs were coming open while thousands and thousands of food service and customer service jobs were coming open.

If the Atlanta Business Chronicle is speaking of low-wage service jobs, then yes, Georgia is growing in that area. They are not being honest about what kind of jobs are being created there.

I'm speaking as someone who was laid off there during the recession and could not find work in Atlanta for five years. Since a part of that five years I was on unemployment, a lot of my time was spent at the offices of the Georgia Department of Labor trying to find work. I made it my job to stay on top of those statistics on GADOL's website since I was having such a hard time finding a job in Atlanta to the point that I eventually left the state in order to find work.

I know first hand that this article is BS and that Marothisu is very keen to pick up that they are citing inaccurate data in this article because they are.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 02-06-2016 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 03:54 PM

251 posts, read 257,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
^^^Take the Atlanta Business Chronicle with a grain of salt. That publication, along with other publications that come out of Atlanta are big on boosterism for the city when it comes to the job market and economy. They make claims that the job market and economy there is better than what it actually is. Quite frankly, they lie.

The Atlanta Business Chronicle is always talking about how Atlanta is booming with jobs or is number one in this, that, or the other, when in actuality it is not.

The state of Georgia is slow with job growth, particularly when it comes to professional jobs. Most of the state's job growth is in low wage service jobs and customer service while well-paying professional jobs are very few.

Marothisu is right. They are not using accurate data. I say this because I read the Georgia Department of Labor statistics for myself, and according to that data, over the last couple of years, only a few hundred professional jobs were coming open while thousands and thousands of food service and customer service jobs were coming open.

If the Atlanta Business Chronicle is speaking of low-wage service jobs, then yes, Georgia is growing in that area. They are not being honest about what kind of jobs are being created there.

I'm speaking as someone who was laid off there during the recession and could not find work in Atlanta for five years. Since a part of that five years I was on unemployment, a lot of my time was spent at the offices of the Georgia Department of Labor trying to find work. I made it my job to stay on top of those statistics on GADOL's website since I was having such a hard time finding a job in Atlanta to the point that I eventually left the state in order to find work.

I know first hand that this article is BS and that Marothisu is very keen to pick up that they are citing inaccurate data in this article because they are.
From BLS.gov:

"In the Atlanta metropolitan area, professional and business services recorded the largest employment gain from November 2014 to November 2015, adding 25,100 jobs. The area’s 5.3-percent growth in professional and business services employment was larger than the nationwide increase of 3.2 percent. (See chart 2.)"

"Atlanta was 1 of the nation’s 12 largest metropolitan statistical areas in November 2015. All 12 areas experienced over-the-year job growth during the period, with 6 exceeding the national average of 1.9 percent. The fastest rate of job growth was in Atlanta, up 3.4 percent, followed by Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, up 3.0 percent. The slowest growth rate occurred in Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land (0.8 percent). (See chart 3 and table 2.)"

Atlanta Area Employment ? November 2015 : Southeast Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

From Forbes:

Atlanta is #5 for best places for business and careers
Forbes Welcome

Atlanta is #3 in the best 10 cities for entrepreneurs
No. 3 Atlanta, Georgia - In Photos: The 10 Best Cities For Young Entrepreneurs - Forbes

From US News:

Atlanta is in the top 10 best places for tech jobs
10 Best Places for Tech Jobs - US News

Old 02-06-2016, 04:03 PM

And here's the original study posted by Careerbuilder, with Chicago listed as #1 on the least competitive cities list. Where is the "lie" here? Do you think Atlanta Business Chronicle forced Careerbuilder to lie or to create a fraudulent study? If they did that, why wouldn't they have asked to be listed as #1?

CareerBuilder and Emsi List the Top 10 Metros Exceeding U.S. Job Growth Expectations

Old 02-06-2016, 04:10 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helena101 View Post
And here's the original study posted by Careerbuilder, with Chicago listed as #1 on the least competitive cities list. Where is the "lie" here? Do you think Atlanta Business Chronicle forced Careerbuilder to lie or to create a fraudulent study? If they did that, why wouldn't they have asked to be listed as #1?

CareerBuilder and Emsi List the Top 10 Metros Exceeding U.S. Job Growth Expectations
Like I said, I read the Georgia Department of Labor job statistics for myself and a majority of the jobs being created there are low-wage service jobs. Now go on back to the Atlanta forum.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Like I said, I read the Georgia Department of Labor job statistics for myself and a majority of the jobs being created there are low-wage service jobs. Now go on back to the Atlanta forum.
Did you read the data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics?

"In the Atlanta metropolitan area, professional and business services recorded the largest employment gain from November 2014 to November 2015, adding 25,100 jobs. The area’s 5.3-percent growth in professional and business services employment was larger than the nationwide increase of 3.2 percent. (See chart 2.)"

"Atlanta was 1 of the nation’s 12 largest metropolitan statistical areas in November 2015. All 12 areas experienced over-the-year job growth during the period, with 6 exceeding the national average of 1.9 percent. The fastest rate of job growth was in Atlanta, up 3.4 percent, followed by Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, up 3.0 percent. The slowest growth rate occurred in Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land (0.8 percent). (See chart 3 and table 2.)"

Atlanta Area Employment ? November 2015 : Southeast Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Old 02-06-2016, 05:18 PM

A link to the BLS is good. Now we're talking about real data. Thanks.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:20 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Chicago should really be concentrating on whiskey and fine distilled spirits given its access to grain, skills, and transport. Get itself a historica boost while at it.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Chicago should really be concentrating on whiskey and fine distilled spirits given its access to grain, skills, and transport. Get itself a historica boost while at it.
There have been a few distilleries to pop up in the last handful of years in town, and tons of breweries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago