Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Rauner get us out of this mess?
Yes 19 24.36%
No 59 75.64%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM

997 posts, read 850,471 times

Advertisements

Uncle Bruce's plan of "short term pain" for "long term gain" is backfiring on him. Specifically many small/medium size company's (who supported him) that do business with the state. the lucky ones aren't getting paid, the unlucky ones (my wife's best friends husband, diehard republican) like the company's that sell to the schools have disappeared. He was telling me last year how rauner was the best thing for Illinois, funny how the tides have turned. Northern Illinois university was his biggest customer! He, along with many other republicans are no longer supporting rauner. Rauner himself is now starting to back off on his anti worker agenda because he is losing his support, finally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 11:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I don't see how any of this is Rauner's fault. The state isn't paying its bill because it is de-facto bankrupt and is playing various games to keep going. The state doesn't have a budget because the Democrats don't see any problem. They just want to keep taxing residents and businesses out of the state and giving bigger and bigger raises and pensions to their union cronies.

Heck now they want to tax motorists by the mile (I already pay $800 per year to use the tollway). I honestly don't understand how or even if they think.

Rauner still has my support.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:31 PM

235 posts, read 287,751 times
How can the state pay bills with money it doesn't have? If they paid your best friends husband, the check would be returned and stamped NSF. The checking account is empty.

Old 04-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Many many people that voted for rauner because they figured, "hey it doesn't effect me". No that their little world is getting turned upside down, their crying. And I'm loving it!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM

Or they're thankful that at least he is serving as a roadblock for Madigan and the other dummycraps from making things worse. They voted for Rauner beause things can't keep going the way they've been going for the past 15 years where the Democrats had complete control and crashed the state into the side of a building. We have elderly residents being taxed out of their homes with 10k/year+ tax bills to pay for million dollar pensions for public "servants". Actually it is the taxpayers that seem to be the servant and the government unions the masters. That is no way to serve the public or fight for the working people. That is just a plain racket and a b@stardization of what government is supposed to be in the USA.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-16-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 07:43 AM

They are far from thankful, he supported Rauner and now he is going broke. And he's not alone, any company (besides uncle Bruce's favorites) is not getting paid. They are not siding with Rauner any more. Rauners base is cracking. I'm not feeling sorry for an elderly person that has a 10k tax bill, you can cut that to $2500 very easily.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:24 AM

490 posts, read 649,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
A nice counterpoint, which needed to be stated,especially in regard to 1) healthcare benefits, and 2) employer portion of Social Security. The GOP in Congress, especially Paul Ryan, is feverishly trying to find ways to eliminate Social Security, and also turn Medicare into a voucher program.Pretty disgusting..

If the GOP gets its way, we'll be a nation of uninsured temps, with little/no future. I don't care for Dem machine politics, but the alternative is much worse...
We didn't have social security or Medicare 100 years ago and we seemed to do fine. What's the alternative? Dump more money in the social security scheme which is a loser deal for young people? I'm never going to see that money come back to me, thats for sure. Several generations of giving away freebies hasn't exactly had the impact Dems want either.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Uncle Bruce's plan of "short term pain" for "long term gain" is backfiring on him. Specifically many small/medium size company's (who supported him) that do business with the state. the lucky ones aren't getting paid, the unlucky ones (my wife's best friends husband, diehard republican) like the company's that sell to the schools have disappeared. He was telling me last year how rauner was the best thing for Illinois, funny how the tides have turned. Northern Illinois university was his biggest customer! He, along with many other republicans are no longer supporting rauner. Rauner himself is now starting to back off on his anti worker agenda because he is losing his support, finally.
He has Madigan and Cullerton working against him hoping that he's going to fail. The two of them don't give a cr@p if the state gets screwed in the process. They want higher taxes, and more spending to keep the machine and their cronies going. To hell with the people and the tax payers of Illinois.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
I don't understand how a high profile state like Illinois can a REPUBLICAN governor.

You don't have this in New York or California. I mean, I expect this in places like Florida and Texas (LuLz) but not in Illinois. Pat Quinn must have been one hell of a stooge.
Maryland has a Republican governor and that's about as blue as you can get for a state.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
They are far from thankful, he supported Rauner and now he is going broke. And he's not alone, any company (besides uncle Bruce's favorites) is not getting paid. They are not siding with Rauner any more. Rauners base is cracking. I'm not feeling sorry for an elderly person that has a 10k tax bill, you can cut that to $2500 very easily.
Again the reason they are not getting paid isn't because Rauner is the governor. They are not getting piad because the state is impossibly insolvent ie bankrupt and they are chosing what bills to pay just like a individual would if they are hopelessly underwater.

I know you don't feel sorry for taxpayers and that is the entire problem. The government employees think that the people exist to serve them and make them rich like feudal lords of the middle ages. The only way my mother could reduce her taxes to $2500 would be to move to Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago