Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,552 times

Advertisements

There is a person who is in our building that has been evicted. The person who lives with them is not on the lease, he is causing problems, and to top it off selling drugs openly. It has been discovered that they both have criminal backgrounds. This person is now on the eviction list, but I am trying to find out what day we can expect relief by looking at the Sheriff's eviction schedule. Does anyone have an idea of how to locate an eviction date by looking at the Sheriffs Eviction Schedule? Also, how can a person get them out earlier if they are selling drugs in the building? My understanding there is a way read this list to know when the day is coming?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Ain't Right View Post
There is a person who is in our building that has been evicted. The person who lives with them is not on the lease, he is causing problems, and to top it off selling drugs openly. It has been discovered that they both have criminal backgrounds. This person is now on the eviction list, but I am trying to find out what day we can expect relief by looking at the Sheriff's eviction schedule. Does anyone have an idea of how to locate an eviction date by looking at the Sheriffs Eviction Schedule? Also, how can a person get them out earlier if they are selling drugs in the building? My understanding there is a way read this list to know when the day is coming?
You don't say what you mean by "evicted" (they haven't been evicted if they're still there!) but evicting someone based on criminal activity isn't easy to do. Some suburbs have "crime free" ordinances which require landlords to conduct criminal background checks and attach an addendum to their leases which allow the landlord to evict if certain criminal activity is committed in the apartment. But Chicago doesn't have such a thing to my knowledge, and the ACLU has taken a dim view on these ordinances anyway, arguing that they discriminate. It's probably only a matter of time before there's a legal challenge to these ordinances.

http://povertylaw.org/sites/default/...crime-free.pdf

https://www.aclu.org/report/silenced...ctims-new-york

Realistically, there's probably nothing you can do relative to the eviction process if you aren't the building owner. You can call police when there's criminal activity, or try to terminate your lease and move elsewhere, or wait for the Sheriff to evict if your landlord got an eviction order. But you can't facilitate an eviction. The Sheriff doesn't even tell the landlord when they're coming until the day before. I seriously doubt they'll tell a tenant over the phone.

This is why it is important to be very careful about where you choose to rent. Come to the building and neighborhood at different times, day and night, try to talk to other tenants, ask the landlord if there's been problems, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago