Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 04:45 PM

367 posts, read 483,516 times

Advertisements

I am talking strictly profit based, am not looking to live there. Also I don't want a neighborhood like Englewood were it's dangerous to even go there at noon. I did some research and I think Cicero, Il is a pretty good investment. What is your opinion and any one have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 06:41 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,381,472 times
Cicero would not be my first choice.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 PM

I don't think Cicero is going to appreciate like some other neighborhoods in Chicago, but you could get a 2 flat all brick in solid shape for 180-200k a 3 flat for 200K-220k and a 5-6 flat for 320-350k, the area is not great but at least you can collect rents. It's not like Austin, Englewood or Garfield park.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:12 AM

846 posts, read 1,390,895 times
Oak Park, River Forest, Forest Park or Berwyn?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,954,694 times
Something to consider, normal residential mortgages only go up to a 4 unit property, if you buy anything bigger, you're talking a commercial loan.You'll pay higher interest rates if you buy it as strictly an investment property as compared to one where you live in one of the units. I work in the residential end, so I am unfamiliar with commercial lending, but I think you'll probably pay a higher interest rate. Not sure if 30 year terms are available for that type of property, so before you invest too much time in this idea, do some research.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,081,641 times
What knitgirl said.

Also, Hispanic places like Little Village, Cicero, and Berwyn, are going to be filled with either peaceful people who don't speak or much English, or bilingual gang members (including old school).

I guess by the time you get as far west as Berwyn, there are some small pockets of White areas.

Note that Little Village is to Hispanic as Englewood is to Black.

You might as well invest in Hispanic neighborhoods further north.

Belmont-Cragin, Hermosa, and such.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Something to consider, normal residential mortgages only go up to a 4 unit property, if you buy anything bigger, you're talking a commercial loan.You'll pay higher interest rates if you buy it as strictly an investment property as compared to one where you live in one of the units. I work in the residential end, so I am unfamiliar with commercial lending, but I think you'll probably pay a higher interest rate. Not sure if 30 year terms are available for that type of property, so before you invest too much time in this idea, do some research.
My dad has bought a 12 unit with in the last 10 years, I will ask him but I know it was a 30 year fixed rate not sure about interest rate.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post
What knitgirl said.

Also, Hispanic places like Little Village, Cicero, and Berwyn, are going to be filled with either peaceful people who don't speak or much English, or bilingual gang members (including old school).

I guess by the time you get as far west as Berwyn, there are some small pockets of White areas.

Note that Little Village is to Hispanic as Englewood is to Black.

You might as well invest in Hispanic neighborhoods further north.

Belmont-Cragin, Hermosa, and such.
I would prefer Belmont-crag in and hermosa, but it's more expensive. I would not actively manage in a all black neighborhood but I would manage in an all Hispanic neighborhood. I don't want to be in a neighborhood were I don't feel safe at 11am.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:01 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,954,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
My dad has bought a 12 unit with in the last 10 years, I will ask him but I know it was a 30 year fixed rate not sure about interest rate.
Things have changed a TON in the last 10 years.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,155,899 times
Yeah, shoot for Mexican hoods.
Cicero, Little Village, Belmont-C, Hermosa, Maybe Brighton Park, etc

There's always people looking to rent. Try and get families, not gangbangers.

Way cheaper then white neighborhoods, but not as horrible as Black ghettos.

And sorry, I don't know how else to word it.

Hope it doesn't sound racist or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago