Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:06 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

While I agree that there are certainly some firms buying into the hype that folks like beaniemac offer up, the fact is that statistically the region's total workforce is hurting -- Chicago Area Employment ? November 2015 : Midwest Information Office : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

The larger issue is that despite good movement from the depths of recession era vacancies, there is simply not as much demand for offices as developers would like to see -- http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...e-construction

Trends like "work from home" and similar alternatives to cubes that once consistently filled are seeing shifts away from the 9-to-5 M-F work force and THAT is not exclusive to the region at all. The fact is there are all kinds of healthy firms in places other than the Loop and anyone that works too hard to relocate those firms from their non-urban campuses may very well see them embrace the much different environments that exist in other states / regions...
U.S. Q4 2015 Office MarketView
Quote:
Suburban absorption surged to 44.3 million sq. ft., while downtown absorption slowed slightly from 2014, to 17.3 million sq. ft. ... Six metro areas posted double-digit rent gains during the year—all except Greenville, South Carolina are located in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:34 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Maybe the more practical measure is to live within an urban neighborhood within Chicago that is within an easier commute than the Gold Coast as there are many neighborhoods within the city that are quite urban. Are you already locked into that apt?

Old 03-11-2016, 10:11 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
I make the reverse commute to Northfield (just south of Deerfield) from the Gold Coast every day. I personally would not be as happy living in the suburbs as I am in the city, but everyone is different. Quite a few of my coworkers make the reverse commute as well.

It takes me between 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. 25 minutes on a very good day. The commute back to the city can run me anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour. It's not the worst situation in the world, but I would obviously welcome a shorter commute. The commute on 90/94 is a relatively easy one though.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:36 PM

103 posts, read 159,634 times
I take this drive all the time, except I head south on the Dan Ryan rather than the Stevenson.

Morning -- Southbound LSD to I-55 is mostly a breeze.

Evening -- Northbound I-55 starting at 90/94 is a royal pain, all the way up LSD to Chicago ave. It's a nightmare in the summer, and a horror movie on Thursday and Friday nights during the summer. You should find a gym by the office to kill some time as things will get more manageable around 7:00-7:30.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:06 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,171,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizu View Post
I take this drive all the time, except I head south on the Dan Ryan rather than the Stevenson.

Morning -- Southbound LSD to I-55 is mostly a breeze.

Evening -- Northbound I-55 starting at 90/94 is a royal pain, all the way up LSD to Chicago ave. It's a nightmare in the summer, and a horror movie on Thursday and Friday nights during the summer. You should find a gym by the office to kill some time as things will get more manageable around 7:00-7:30.
I agree with this. The summer can be a b**** on commuting. Everyone and their mother is out at seemingly all times of the day. It'll take about an hour each way, maybe a little more or less depending on the time you ultimately leave work. There's a HUGE difference between leaving at 4:50 and leaving at 5:00....

Old 03-17-2016, 10:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The beauty of the real traffic updates that work with GPS enabled navigtion apps is that they will offer up alternatives that save time.

Back before these apps existed I might rely on things like the radio traffic updates, the network of sensors in the roadways, or even the advice of folks that worked in areas where they could offer some tips. Now if there is a backup due to unusual events it is easy enought to ask Waze to find a faster route.

Of course with the wider areas that hip bars have expanded into and the lack of responsive of Chicago in doing things like rebuilding the Ogden overpass there are probably fewer "deserted routes" to bypass the choke points. Thank goodness the idiotic bus lanes have not moved forward to take away alternates like Ashland...

Old 03-17-2016, 11:52 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I agree with this. The summer can be a b**** on commuting. Everyone and their mother is out at seemingly all times of the day. It'll take about an hour each way, maybe a little more or less depending on the time you ultimately leave work. There's a HUGE difference between leaving at 4:50 and leaving at 5:00....
Is it ever so bad that it would be better to do a METRA + Uber combination on certain peak days like that?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:27 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
The summer can be a b**** on commuting. Everyone and their mother is out at seemingly all times of the day.
The morning commute from July 4th through Labor Day is usually quite nice.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe the more practical measure is to live within an urban neighborhood within Chicago that is within an easier commute than the Gold Coast as there are many neighborhoods within the city that are quite urban. Are you already locked into that apt?
Yeah, this is a good idea too. I live near where the OP is talking about - it's a good area. Guess it depends on how much you want to put up with really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago