Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:08 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
huh? Where'd that come from? I'm 36 and gay and have been living in Boystown for around 10 years. I've never heard anything about lavender except for soap maybe or that my grandma loves the color because she likes lilacs. haha.

As gay rights have grown locally and nationally, there isn't much of a unified community as their use to be. People are free to live their lives just how they want. Being gay is just one small aspect of your life, it's not like it really makes you different than anyone else in the grand scheme of things. Some people still act like gays all think alike or all like pink or all act a certain way. I just laugh. They're just the same old random boring people as everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I don't know why lavender and pink are considered rep of the gay community, but if you look up the social service organizations, they sometimes have Lavender in the name... I will have to do a search.. I too lived in Boystown and went to stuff and I found out this way. do a google search, I just went there and theres too many names - but if you google: Gay/Lavender it will list them. not sure why lavender/purple got to be this.

and its not meant to be insulting, just telling ya about it
Come on, surely why lavender is sometimes associate with gay people in the West isn't such a mystery. In the West, boys are represented with a light blue, girls with pink. If you mix them, you get lavender. Before the contemporary understanding of the complexities of gender and sexuality, the homosexuals people were most aware of were tom-boy women and effeminate men - in other words, the gay people who were most obvious were seen as being somewhere between the genders. Is there really confusion about that? (I'm a gay man)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 06:49 PM

410 posts, read 491,822 times
Anyone who's offended even if the rail line's were directed in such places are reading way too much into it.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
Anyone who's offended even if the rail line's were directed in such places are reading way too much into it.
I fully understand that the political correctness of CTA's color assignments is completely unintentional, but it is interesting how lucky CTA has been based on the demographics of the areas served by each line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago