Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 AM

923 posts, read 3,094,300 times

Advertisements

[quote=JHPW;2789421]Interviewing in Chicago later this month and perhaps moving in early spring from Miami. Looking for a studio apartment in a nice area with public transportation close, as well as a supermarket, movie rental, restaurants etc. If anyone has any suggestions in regards to an area that is close to the action but not filled with drunk college kids, I would be grateful. I'm 30/single/male/professional and would like to be in area where I could meet some people similar. Thanks Again.[/quote
Chicago is a great city, if your in the city. People say they are moving to
Chicago, in reality they are in the suburbs. I lived there for several years.
Your profile -- 30/single/male/professional -- you are going to have more fun
than you can imagine !!!!! I could help more if I knew where you were
going to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:07 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Chicago is not very mixed throughout the entire city. Even in the neighborhoods (which are not very many) with the largest openly gay populations the percentage is about 50% gay-50% straight.

All I am saying is if you are gay or bi (which you stated you are not but for the record...), there are areas you will be totally accepted, others where people will not care too much for the most part (but are not gay utopias), and areas where to be openly gay is dangerous unfortunately.

Chicago is very accepting, but it is no Miami or San Francisco.
Well, all I'll say is that A) most areas where gay people are patently unwelcome are not areas the OP would want to live in, anyway, and B) the OP is straight, so this is all moot.

I'm sticking with Lakeview. How "urban" a feel are you looking for? Would you be ok with a neighborhood that was in the city and had access to the train, etc, but maybe wasn't all high-rises? Would that be better or worse? There are lots of neighborhoods people on this board are fond of recommending (Roscoe Village, Andersonville, Lincoln Square, etc) that are decidedly urban, but not urban jungle kind of urban.

Also, is there a specific "feel" you're looking for? To paint with a REALLY broad brush, Lincoln Park is pretty yuppie, Wicker Park has a more bohemian feel (though it's getting yuppier everyday), Uptown/Edgewater is a bit grittier....

There are LOTS of options here. Chicago is a city of neighborhoods and far from monolithic.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I agree, but much of Lakeview does have quite a few drunk college (and post-college) students in it. Sounds like the OP may want something a bit quieter.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I agree, but much of Lakeview does have quite a few drunk college (and post-college) students in it. Sounds like the OP may want something a bit quieter.
Yeah. Depends on where in Lakeview. It's a big neighborhood with lots of pockets.

Visit Chicago. Check out different spots. Look around. That's really the only way to get a feel for the place.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 PM

8 posts, read 25,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

After 3.5 in South Beach I'm ready for a bit of peace and quite.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:30 PM

After 3.5 years in South Beach a little peace and quite would be nice.
I will have a couple days at the end of the month coming up to get a feel. I will be staying on Mich Ave.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:33 PM

I don't know where I'm going to work either.
I don't know where they will put me, probably in the downtown operations somewhere. Not to far from Michigan Ave. I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: