Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:20 AM

435 posts, read 430,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I used to be a yuppie, then I became a dink, then I became diwk, then I become a OIH, now I'm just a regular suburbanite with a wife and 2 kids.

Oh, how I long for my early post college years living in Wrigleyville, sharing an apartment with my buddies, having the time of my life.

What is an OIH? I wonder if I missed that step in my transition to the burbs?

I was also once a yuppie on the Northside/Wrigley but now do live in NWI (post kids), so there are some former yuppies in NWI in areas like Munster, Dyer, St. John, etc.

Too bad CPS can't get it together, more professionals would stay in the city post kids.

It will be interesting to see what the "young professional Millennials" in the city do once they start to have kids and have to face the CPS music. Will they care more about urban environment or more about schools. How will that impact recent migration trends to the burbs? While more millennials like edgy places (ie Logan Square) vs the traditional Lincoln Park type settings they also seem more focused on saving money when THEIR $$$ is on the line (not the parents). Private school in the city is not cheap and districts with strong local elementary schools are certainly not cheap either....then there is the fingers crossed on selective enrollment high school to worry about too if you stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
What is an OIH? I wonder if I missed that step in my transition to the burbs?

I was also once a yuppie on the Northside/Wrigley but now do live in NWI (post kids), so there are some former yuppies in NWI in areas like Munster, Dyer, St. John, etc.

Too bad CPS can't get it together, more professionals would stay in the city post kids.

It will be interesting to see what the "young professional Millennials" in the city do once they start to have kids and have to face the CPS music. Will they care more about urban environment or more about schools. How will that impact recent migration trends to the burbs? While more millennials like edgy places (ie Logan Square) vs the traditional Lincoln Park type settings they also seem more focused on saving money when THEIR $$$ is on the line (not the parents). Private school in the city is not cheap and districts with strong local elementary schools are certainly not cheap either....then there is the fingers crossed on selective enrollment high school to worry about too if you stay.
OIH=One Income Household (when your wife decides to stop working and stay home with the kids, you go from a DIWK, to a OIH. Sucks.

After moving out of my condo in Linc Park, we bought a SFH in Linc Square and lived there 5 years. Loved it, couldn't have been happier. We sent our daughter to a Catholic pre-K program in the neighborhood and even at 3, 1/2 days a week, it was $5K. Private high schools in Chgo are $20+K. So, if you're going to stay and raise your kids in the city, be ready to fork over some serious $ unless you want to roll the dice with the CPS. And if you've been following that story, you know how that $hit fest is operated......

One of the best public schools on the northside is the Bell district in N Center, but the real estate in the immediate area reflects the quality of the school. A nice 3+ BR SFH is pushing $1M.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:57 PM

435 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
OIH=One Income Household (when your wife decides to stop working and stay home with the kids, you go from a DIWK, to a OIH. Sucks.

OIH - got it, thx! Yeah, my hubby doesn't want OIH either as he says I would be bored out of my mind so I'm down to 2-3 days a week. Finding balance with kids is hard! I was surprised at how many OIH there are in my area of NWI (Munster).

Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
I used to be a yuppie, then I became a dink, then I became diwk, then I become a OIH, now I'm just a regular suburbanite with a wife and 2 kids.
I used to be a yuppie wannabe, but nowadays I'm a GOM ("Grumpy Old Man").

Old 04-13-2016, 04:12 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,134,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
I used to be a yuppie wannabe, but nowadays I'm a GOM ("Grumpy Old Man").
I'm too hip to be a yuppie, and too old to be a hipster, so I'm not sure what that makes me. Probably just a GOM in denial.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
You aren't a yuppie if you live in NW Indiana.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
You aren't a yuppie if you live in NW Indiana.
Good point. Considering that "yuppie" is supposed to stand for Young URBAN Professional.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:04 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
This hardly seems surprising since both taxes and housing costs are much cheaper there than in much of IL.
Easier for a wife or husband to stay home with the kids w/o the IL property taxes(!)

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
I was surprised at how many OIH there are in my area of NWI (Munster).

Old 06-02-2016, 01:43 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
there's no yuppies living in NW indiana. But hammond right across the state line is pretty nice. and I believe the cost of living over there is significantly cheaper.
Munster and to some extent Highland are pretty nice; Hammond is mostly not nice.

Much farther afield, Valparaiso and the dune cities (Ogden Dunes, Dune Acres, Beverly Shores) are nice.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 AM

304 posts, read 364,349 times
To answer your question OP, Yes, the yuppies are all on the traditional north side neighborhoods, or, in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding downtown. NWI may have an extremely small percentage of people who may be perceived as yuppies. They are either from NWI originally and working in Chicago, or, people that got married in Chicago and moved to NWI for lower COL and taxes, along with children.

What's the deal kid? You a yuppie? NWI is not really a place for this. Just live in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago