Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,975 times

Advertisements

^ People throw rocks at things that shine. You know you've made it when you have irrational haters hovering like vultures waiting to sensationalize the slightest bit of bad news. Chicago and Illinois have problems, but the crowd on C-D would have you believe every house is for sale and there are nothing but moving trucks on the interstate headed to Indiana/Arizona/Texas/Atlanta/Wherever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,867,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
^ People throw rocks at things that shine. You know you've made it when you have irrational haters hovering like vultures waiting to sensationalize the slightest bit of bad news. Chicago and Illinois have problems, but the crowd on C-D would have you believe every house is for sale and there are nothing but moving trucks on the interstate headed to Indiana/Arizona/Texas/Atlanta/Wherever...
Yes, they're like a pack of vicious St. Bernard's dogs, who wonder just why are you so thirsty?....

Old 04-29-2016, 12:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,102,750 times
Being a homer is one thing, denying reality is another. There are idiotic proposals to massively raise taxes on higher income earners and businesses being cooked up by the same sort of "reality deniers" that want to believe everything is simply swell -- Taxpayer group opposes Democrats' graduated tax proposal - Illinois Review

Quote:
...would give Illinois the fourth-highest top marginal rate in the country (behind California, Oregon & Minnesota for single filers). The $1.9 billion in anticipated revenue covers less than 50 percent of the deficit of the Democrats’ most recently-passed budget. ... Illinoisans should not be asked to entrust Springfield politicians with – literally – a blank check.”

Old 04-29-2016, 12:47 PM

291 posts, read 275,397 times
Sorry, but a graduated tax is not really an idiotic proposal, it is how most places in the world do it. Chicago has never been able to make up its mind about what kind of city it is, so every other idiotic proposal has been implemented instead of the obvious.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:26 PM

What Illinois currently has is a FLAT TAX, there is single page for all filers, it takes about 5 minutes to complete and insures that no "insiders" get special treatment.

The mess that would result by putting EVEN MORE POWER into the hands of crooks that "run the house" in Springfield are too terrible to contemplate.

Decades of economists have decried the negative effects of complicated tax systems and should Illinois try to shove one down the throats of the helpless citizenry the result will all but certainly DECREASED revenues and increased outward migration of the high income earners and business owners that are most desperately needed -- Progressive taxation is an inefficient and costly system

Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM

291 posts, read 275,397 times
Indeed, Illinois made its bed with the flat tax long ago, and now looks like it will be lying with it forever.

Somehow, nobody in Illinois in 1970 put 2 and 2 together and considered that constitutionally protecting both state pensions and a flat tax might lead to an untenable situation down the road.

Last edited by King Harold; 04-29-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM

Default More accurately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Harold View Post
Indeed, Illinois made its bed with the flat tax long ago, and now looks like it is stuck with it forever.

Somehow, nobody in Illinois in 1970 put 2 and 2 together and considered that constitutionally protecting both state pensions and a flat tax might lead to an untenable situation down the road.
The do-gooders that authored the Constitution assumed that no legislators would be so stupid as to promise benefits then recklessly spend the money that was collected to eventually pay those benefits.

Of course those do-gooders did not anticipate an idiot as incompetent Blago being able to bluff his way into power while a wheeler-dealer as sly as Madigan controlled the whole legislature either. They two of them were a toxic combination that allowed funds that should have remained earmarked toward pensions to be spent with abandon and they borrowed to fill the budget with even more IOUs.

Quite the pair, Chicago borne and bred...

Old 04-29-2016, 02:34 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The do-gooders that authored the Constitution assumed that no legislators would be so stupid as to promise benefits then recklessly spend the money that was collected to eventually pay those benefits.

Of course those do-gooders did not anticipate an idiot as incompetent Blago being able to bluff his way into power while a wheeler-dealer as sly as Madigan controlled the whole legislature either. They two of them were a toxic combination that allowed funds that should have remained earmarked toward pensions to be spent with abandon and they borrowed to fill the budget with even more IOUs.

Quite the pair, Chicago borne and bred...
We've sent other Governors to prison in addition to Blago...I think 4? This freight train has been heading towards us for decades. It seems the populous of Illinois has finally starting waking up, but it's going to be an uphill battle to get this situation resolved and implement reforms that prevent it from happening again.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:03 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,785,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_407 View Post
can this be framed??
may i second the nomination

Old 05-01-2016, 12:33 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,545,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
BS.....my "amazing" was merely the highlight the absurdity of claims chicago is losing population. Personally I think it's all insanity in how we look at population and its rise, as in "Also, why compare New York City and Chicago MSA growth stats? Why not use New York MSA stats instead?" Is it a race? Is NYC's growth an asset. Will NYC find that it is a better place when today's 9 million New Yorkers becomes 18 million? As I've said before a million (or 9 million) times here: the only thing that continues to grow forever is cancer...until it kills you.
I take it you prefer stagnation to steady, healthy growth? I'm sure you're also ok with someone like Madigan festering in office for nearly 5 decades as he runs the state into the ground finacially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
"You've got to be the biggest homer on this forum and that's saying something."....perhaps, but if so, it comes in the form of a reaction on my part to the incredible Chicago-bashing that goes on in the Chicago subforum, a venue that, IMHO, has become somewhat of an open sewer.

So damned right, CSS....I'm a homer; and I admit it proudly. I love Chicago. I adore this city. I think it's the best city anywhere. And when addressed as "You've got to be the biggest homer on this forum and that's saying something.", I can only say, thank you; I very much take that as a compliment.
Apparently, you love this place so much that you can't think rationally. There's always some excuse from you when it come to Chicago. But, hey, maybe you'll get your wish one day and Chicago will lose the west and south sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago