Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Nope. I think I understood perfectly; you're just providing misleading statements.

You wrote "Any choice you make for your child is a social experiment, like it or not." Obviously your implication was that New Trier and CPS are (roughly analogous) social experiments in K-12 education. That obviously isn't true. One is full of chaos and dysfunction; the other runs with reliable precision. You put your kids in NT to avoid experimentation. It's the safe choice; the most blue-chip district in IL.

We all know this, and it has nothing to do with the discussion. Even in ghetto schools, children of affluent parents have basically the same performance as children of affluent parents in wealthy schools. Doesn't mean that most affluent parents will consider ghetto schools.

But that isn't CPS. CPS is very high poverty, very high ELL. There are maybe a half dozen schools that meet your stated demographics, while hundreds don't. It's extremely unlikely that a parent can rely on such an anomalous K-12 experience within CPS.

I think there's a tangible difference, but not a big one, at least not for affluent families.

The affluent pockets of Chicago with the good elementaries have basically the same people, and same shops/restaurants/amenities as in Hinsdale. Obviously Lincoln Park is more urban and transit oriented, but the households we're talking about all have cars and use them, and don't have radically different lifestyles as in Hinsdale. They're all doing the big box trek, they all have the nice SUVs shutting their kids everywhere, etc.

Lincoln Park isn't Manhattan, or even Brooklyn. Those mansions going up everywhere in LP would almost fit in Hinsdale. Those big box stores lining Clybourn are packed with SUV-riding soccer moms from LP, in a scene replicated throughout suburbia.
Dude, I'm talking about a specific school in CPS (from a link that chet originally provided) and not the entire district. Since the OP was discussing Lincoln Park, makes sense to discuss LP K-8 schools.

And apparently my experiment comment was lost on you, but rereading it, the intent is clear for the average rational reader, so I'm not engaging on a back and forth anymore. Good discussion, internet person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM

34 posts, read 38,207 times
For more urban family-heavy neighborhoods with good schools that are less expensive check out Ravenswood, Roscoe Village, Edgewater, Hyde Park. For less urban neighborhoods, check out the far NW and SW sides (Jefferson Park, Beverly, etc.)

Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default The issue is not "expense"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg23 View Post
For more urban family-heavy neighborhoods with good schools that are less expensive check out Ravenswood, Roscoe Village, Edgewater, Hyde Park. For less urban neighborhoods, check out the far NW and SW sides (Jefferson Park, Beverly, etc.)
The OP is getting a $48k/yr initial housing allowance and salary of "low/mid six figures".

The risks of a school that poorly serves the OP's 10 yr old are likely HIGHER in the fringe areas of Chicago where there experience as a German ex-pat that up to now has been in private schools in London is even greater than it would be a more desirable part of the region...

Old 05-04-2016, 01:20 PM

606 posts, read 354,510 times
Hello OP,

I have a few questions for you. First, when is your family planning on making the move to Chicago. Secondly, by mid to low six figures, do you mean $250,000 - $500,000? Would you be able to give a more specific salary? Also, which part of London are you living in currently? This will help me get a better idea of the kind of urban environment you are used to living in.

In my personal opinion, if you are used to living in European city centres, I think you will be quite miserable in most suburbs of Chicago. Many people have suggested Oak Park and Evanston. Those are very solid choices of suburbs and will make the school factor easy. If you are intent on living in a more central city location, such as Lincoln Park, I believe private school would be a better option for your child given that s/he attends private school in London. This, however, will depend on two things -- when you are planning on moving and what your income will be. Most private schools begin their admissions process in the fall and make final decisions in March. The school year starts in August/September and ends in June. If you are planning on making the move to Chicago before the next school year, you will be out of luck. Secondly, private is school is quite costly and can range from $15,000 - $25,000 a year. However, if you are making $250k and have only one child, it will most likely not be a problem for you.

The decision will really come to down to school options. If you don't want to take a risk, move to a suburb that you feel you can tolerate for a year. After a few months, you will have a much better idea of the whole Chicago area, and you will give yourself enough time to pursue schooling (either public or private) for the next school year if you choose to move to the city.

Edit: I am a mom with one child that lives in the Wicker Park neighborhood. I've been through the private school admissions process also. If you have any questions on neighborhoods or schools, feel free to PM me.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:22 PM

617 posts, read 537,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
If you are intent on living in a more central city location, such as Lincoln Park, I believe private school would be a better option for your child given that s/he attends private school in London.
In areas with bad public schools private schools will be no better, unless we talk about "elite"schools where you need to have certain "blood" and race to get accepted.
It's racial profile which makes public schools good or bad, less white zip codes will have worse schools, same racial profile will affect negatively private schools as well.
Most areas in Chicago will have bad schools, even Evanston already negatively affected by large Mexican influx.

This is in contrast to London or any other European city - in Europe public school system is financed from central budget, not from property taxes of local zip code, so it's much more uniform and solid.
In Europe especially north, folks go to private schools just because they want to have a fancy/"prestigious" school name in their resume, since quality wise it makes no difference with public system.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 PM

606 posts, read 354,510 times
Okay? What's your point? Im not trying to get into a racial discussion about schools. I just wanted to offer the OP practical advice. Of course, quality of private schools will vary as will the price tag. Anyone who cares about their child's education will do their research before applying to see if the school is a good fit for their needs. I think this is why the person is here asking questions to begin with.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:54 AM

93 posts, read 90,718 times
Default Evanston for the earthy, academic, international

Evanston is home of prestigious, large Northwestern University, and as such has an ex-pat population. It's also pretty crunchy. You might check ex-pat boards for their feedback, I think Evanston would be a good fit. Wilmette is wealthier, but still home to many international families and, because it's the northern end of the CTA el, can be as good an option for a family trying to limit reliance on a car.

I'm not happy about what's going on in public education these days, but my impression is that most middle class and above kids (without learning differences) are well served in Evanston's schools. Many of the school buildings are pretty. On the inside, they're not up to date. Orrington school has a lot of Northwestern families--both established faculty families, and those of post-docs who may or may not be staying in the area. Willard has a great reputation, and maybe the wealthiest students, but, oddly, it might not a great spot for kids who are likely to be ahead of their peers academically. Kingsley is a very good school, is adjacent to a the middle school with the best reputation (for what that's worth, I sincerely don't know).

Wilmette's schools also have a good reputation, and better average scores (fewer low income families). I've heard (here maybe? After reading these boards a while it can be hard to remember from where my impressions come) some Wilmette parents are concerned that the schools aren't what they should be, and others are concerned that tiger parents put too much pressure on the schools.

As far as private schools, Baker is a k-8 with a progressive curriculum. It's located on the border of Evanston & Wilmette. It's expensive, but since Parker appealed, you might like it. Or maybe you'd feel easier about trying public & have Baker as back up option. There's also a popular, expensive k-8 Montessori in Evanston.

Anyway, if you are interested in Evanston & Wilmette you can search past threads for more school info. There was a poster who's recently been looking into both areas, and has visited some of the schools.

I don't imagine the buses & train run nearly as often as in London, but it's not impossible to live without a car in Evanston. Since you're used to using public transportation to take care of business, and will not have a paid job, you probably want to choose an area within comfortable distance to the el, CTA purple line. During commute hours it runs all the way downtown, which will take about an hour. Otherwise, the purple runs the few miles from the bottom of Wilmette, through Evanston and ends at the top of Chicago, Rogers Park. There you can switch to the red line, which runs through downtown to the south side. Bus service isn't great in either place, but Evanston's much better served than Wilmette.

For daily commuting downtown, the regional rail line (Metra, upn line) is usually faster. It's definitely more comfortable. In the middle of Evanston, its stops are adjacent to the el. In north Evanston & Wilmette, it's stations are a mile west.

Oak Park may also be a good choice. Politically, I think it's a more progressive community, but I can't say why. I don't know if it's as international. In Evanston, given NU, I think you'll find a niche. You'll spot your people--at the farmers market, the library, and through whatever school you choose. They & their kids will be on their bikes.

Last edited by Rhino4401; 05-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: Mistakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago